Duck Hunting Forum banner

Opening Morning!!

6K views 63 replies 21 participants last post by  Cypress_Bend 
#1 ·
Where is everyone gonna be 4 am on November 23, 2013?
Maybe walking in at Bayou Deview for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

#6 ·
probably crawling out of my tent on the arkansas river hoping no early morning yahoos snuck up on our hole that we will be hunting for the weekend. We started a tradition of camping opening weekend and have really enjoyed it. Usually the weather is pleasant and when we're done for the morning you walk about 100 yards, cook breakfast, crack a beer, and take a nap till 3pm and then start hunting again. This is part of our group last year.

Attachments

#11 ·
Trent_Rivers said:
I forget that you can hunt the river morning and afternoon. Do you hunt backwater? Or the main river? (Never hunted the river) looks like a sweet set up though.

usually hunt the main river, find an island that's holding some birds around it and set up. If you ever do it make sure you are "catfishing" they don't like people camping in non designated camping areas. We bring a few poles along and set them up over night and have actually had some pretty good luck with the cats. Keep your fires contained, clean up all your trash, don't get too rowdy and you should be fine. Can't wait for this season!

#12 ·
I have always wanted to hunt the river. Maybe everything will lock up and river will be really good. Is it a Trent that ducks spend more time flying on main rivers early season and then spend more time away from the river Later in the season?

#14 ·
during low water times they stay on the river.. :thumbsup:

So apparently some/most of you seem to already have the area you want to hunt on the opening weekend selected. Is this an 1. only place I have to hunt ? 2. Place I like to hunt? ME I have a good idea where I'll be as it's historically loaded for the first 2-3 day's then it drop's off significantly, Then I will move to some backwater area's on the Ar river. Depending on water situation I hope some of my timber areas will be flooded by second week in DEC.

#15 ·
Well I am in college at ASU and opening day is also the first day of Thanksgiving break. I live near Little Rock so Bayou Deview is on the way home. [THUMBS UP SIGN]
Historically loaded? Sounds like you have found a little gem.

#16 ·
Trent_Rivers said:
Well I am in college at ASU and opening day is also the first day of Thanksgiving break. I live near Little Rock so Bayou Deview is on the way home. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Hit me up some time, I live in Jonesboro

#21 ·
Trent_Rivers said:
Beautiful sunrise and a good looking dog. Can't wait till I can get a pup of my own.

It's a friend of mines. Fine pooch.

#22 ·
Trent_Rivers said:

They are in there by the Thousands, But they Get the hell out quickly once they get shot at.

#23 ·
UofAduckman1987 said:
probably crawling out of my tent on the arkansas river hoping no early morning yahoos snuck up on our hole that we will be hunting for the weekend. We started a tradition of camping opening weekend and have really enjoyed it. Usually the weather is pleasant and when we're done for the morning you walk about 100 yards, cook breakfast, crack a beer, and take a nap till 3pm and then start hunting again. This is part of our group last year.
We have a camping tradition, but it has never involved tents. last year we moved on up from campers to a cabin. It's something we really enjoy as it adds to the excitement of opening weekend. Can't wait for opening day.

#24 ·
steve-o said:
UofAduckman1987 said:
We have a camping tradition, but it has never involved tents. last year we moved on up from campers to a cabin. It's something we really enjoy as it adds to the excitement of opening weekend. Can't wait for opening day.[/quote

Tents are definitely not ideal but it's about all we have right now. For camping on the river adjacent to our hole I really don't know of another way of doing it. I've thought about towing an old pontoon out there that I could convert to a big cabin cruiser but that's down the line. Where we hunt it's cutthroat like many other places in arkansas and about the time you leave your hole after busting em up all morning you can almost guarantee someone will either be sneaking in for that evening or the next morning. A full campsite and fishing poles hanging out of the cattails usually deters most yahoos.

#25 ·
UofAduckman1987 said:
steve-o said:
UofAduckman1987 said:
We have a camping tradition, but it has never involved tents. last year we moved on up from campers to a cabin. It's something we really enjoy as it adds to the excitement of opening weekend. Can't wait for opening day.
UofAduckman1987 said:
Tents are definitely not ideal but it's about all we have right now. For camping on the river adjacent to our hole I really don't know of another way of doing it. I've thought about towing an old pontoon out there that I could convert to a big cabin cruiser but that's down the line. Where we hunt it's cutthroat like many other places in arkansas and about the time you leave your hole after busting em up all morning you can almost guarantee someone will either be sneaking in for that evening or the next morning. A full campsite and fishing poles hanging out of the cattails usually deters most yahoos.
I understand the competition part and having to guard your spot. It is a shame that it is this way. Be on the look out for one of those Tracker party huts. They would make an awesome mobile camp. I see them on craigslist regularly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.