Dumas area

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, whisperin' duck, brassass, greenster

Dumas area

Postby claypigeon » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:28 pm

Hi Guys :

Any info on the ducks around Dumas area will be appreciated. I am heading that way Thursday pm and driving 600 miles one way. Are there enough ducks in the area to be considered "normal" or close to normal for this time of year ?

Thanks.
" Show me a man who cannot bother to do little things and I will show you a man who cannot be trusted to do big things. "

Lawrence "Larry" Bell
Founder, Bell Aviation
claypigeon
hunter

Dumas

Postby WhiteRiverguy » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:42 am

I was fishing Sunday at Dumas on the Arkansas river and did not see a single duck flying. I was on the water at daylight. During the freeze we had at Christmas we hunted the river at Dumas and hammered the mallards 2 mornings in a row. They just disappeared after that. I haven't scouted the rice and bean fields around there so I don't know if they are holding in the fields now...or if they just moved on ?!? :thumbsdown:
A duck call, like a shotgun, is only as good as the man behind it. -Phil Robertson
WhiteRiverguy
hunter

Postby claypigeon » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:02 am

Got back Sun. pm....No birds Friday ( in coold rain on LAke Merrisack ).....Scouted Fri. pm and found a few gadwalls. Set up there Sat. am and got 5 gads......Sat pm guided hunt yielded a few birds seen in the air, but none came into our guide's pit blind.....Sun am set up where we saw birds Fri. am and Sat am, but Sun., none came near us. Only saw a few.....Moral is, if the local reports say don't come THEY MEAN IT....Wasted trip really.
" Show me a man who cannot bother to do little things and I will show you a man who cannot be trusted to do big things. "

Lawrence "Larry" Bell
Founder, Bell Aviation
claypigeon
hunter

Postby WhiteRiverguy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:30 pm

Sorry that you wasted a trip. :thumbsdown: with the exception of 3 mornings...this season has been a major disappointment so far. I had 3 mornings that everything clicked and got my limit of mallards and scraps quickly. It's funny how 1 good hunt will make the season worth while for me. 2 weekends left in the season... I hope maybe I can hammer them one last time! :smile:
A duck call, like a shotgun, is only as good as the man behind it. -Phil Robertson
WhiteRiverguy
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting