Dave Donaldson Black River WMA rule change

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

Dave Donaldson Black River WMA rule change

Postby greenster » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Waterfowl hunters on Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area will be allowed to leave their decoys in slough boats. The new regulation was approved during last week’s meeting of the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission.

The boats will be allowed at designated sites marked with yellow posts and signs. The decoys must be labeled with the hunter’s vehicle license number. Decoys and slough boats will be allowed overnight at the designated sites beginning on opening day of waterfowl season. The boats and decoys must be removed seven days after the last day of the regular waterfowl season.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Dave Donaldson Black River WMA rule change

Postby Landonmeeks23 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:31 pm

What exacly is a slough boat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Landonmeeks23
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:59 pm

LOL.. Not sure what they call a slough boat.. Wood pirogue?

I'll ask G&F and see what they say.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby talltimber » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:26 pm

Just a boat left onsite. It sounds like a bone thrown of no significance. If you have to pick up decoys may as well put them in the truck too. Might save a little time. Would help the old timers more than young bucks. Less lugging around. My oos opinion only. Lol
talltimber
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:18 pm

Response from AGFC

" The Black River winds it's way through Dave Donaldson/Black River Wildlife Management area. So during the waterfowl season in particular, many hunters use the river channel to navigate to the general vicinity where they like to hunt. Don't know if you're familiar with the Black but it can be pretty intense at times so a fairly large boat is preferred up to the point hunters enter the flooded timber and leave the main river. At this point, the larger boat becomes a burden. Over the years, hunters began stashing a smaller boat off the main river which was better suited to navigate the shallow water and timber so they could switch boats and continue on considerable distances up sloughs to their favorite spot. So the boats were dubbed "slough" boats since they were often left where a slough runs into the main river."

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Landonmeeks23 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:17 am

Makes sense. I'm not very familiar with it. But I plan to hunt there this season some. Thanks for getting that info!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Landonmeeks23
hunter

Postby Claybird » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:22 pm

I have hunted the Dave Donaldson for 26 years. I do not understand why this new rule was implemented or why we would believe that the waste of time to make this rule could be justified in any way. I am interested to know if this new rule will now limit where the slough boats without decoys can be left. Seems that if you leave your decoys gathered up in a boat makes it easier for the undesirable individuals to carry them off. I respect the request to not block the levees or access roads but would also be interested in knowing why this was done and how it got started. I am not against pulling decoys everyday, and actually it made the late season hunting better in my opinion. As I was typing this I have decided that I will call Little Rock tomorrow and ask these questions. Any input from others on this site is requested.
Claybird
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:46 pm

Dave Donaldson sucks...no one has ever killed a duck there.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby greenster » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:02 am

Bryce_Decker wrote:Dave Donaldson sucks...no one has ever killed a duck there.

Yeh, Arkansas public land is horrible!

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:19 pm

Bryce_Decker wrote:Dave Donaldson sucks...no one has ever killed a duck there.

Yeah, too many trees and no place a duck could possibly land.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby talltimber » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:27 pm

The latter may be true in the morning! Good luck if you go, everyone!
talltimber
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting