38 days Gentlemen!

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

38 days Gentlemen!

Postby Trent_Rivers » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Haven't been this excited for duck season ever. This will be my first year with a boat which will open up many more opportunities. I have so much to learn and couldn't be more eager to learn it. Got all my gear piled up in my dorm room and it taunts me every morning. Gotta love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Last edited by Trent_Rivers on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Re: 38 days Gentlemen!

Postby greenster » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:34 pm

Thanks for reminding me! Finishing up the Boat SAT Morning then heading out to scout some new timber holes in some remote areas that see no to very little pressure throughout the season.

Before:

During:

AFTER

"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby steve-o » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:45 pm

what kind of boat is that, G? The gunnels are WIDE.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Trent_Rivers » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Great work on the boat. Gps with pre marked holes? That's what I'm talking about haha

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:18 pm

steve-o wrote:what kind of boat is that, G? The gunnels are WIDE.

That's a Backyard "G" boat.. Made from Scrap and many other pond boats. Those gunnel's offer a walk way through the boat, a seat anywhere. Mounting for homemade blinds etc. Plus filled with foam, so I don't think she will sink. Function of fashion on this rig.

Great work on the boat. Gps with pre marked holes? That's what I'm talking about haha

Yeh someone traded me a camera for it.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jdr » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:40 pm

I'm ready for the boat races. Looks like the almanac is calling for a good cold winter, so hopefully the opener won't be a woodie shoot.
jdr
hunter

Postby CrazyDrake » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:46 am

jdr wrote:I'm ready for the boat races. Looks like the almanac is calling for a good cold winter, so hopefully the opener won't be a woodie shoot.

I hope they are right!
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:19 pm

Looks like our First full moon of the season will not be until the 17th of DEC. So only two full moons this season. Hope for clouds and precipitation during that time.

December 17th Full Cold Moon 4:28 am
January 15th Full Wolf Moon 11:52 pm

November 2013
1st-3rd. Clearing and colder.
4th-7th. Clouds on the increase.
8th-11th. Rain New Mexico east through the Gulf Coast, then clearing, colder.
12th-15th. Heavy showers through New Mexico and Texas.
16th-19th. Fair, cold east into the Mississippi Valley.
20th-23rd. Light snows for Rockies east; rain Gulf Coast, then clearing.
24th-27th. Fair, cold, then stormy weather spreads in from west.
28th-30th. Clearing for Thanksgiving: blustery and colder most areas; rain lingers along Gulf Coast.
December 2013
1st-3rd. Clear and colder; frosts down to the Gulf Coast.
4th-7th. Light snow Southern Plains, then fair.
8th-11th. Unsettled New Mexico, Texas, and parts of Oklahoma.
12th-15th. Rain for Gulf Coast, turning fair and colder.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Trent_Rivers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:38 pm

Less full moons means less migrations?

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby jdr » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:35 pm

More activity during a full moon, especially with a cold front pushing them. Do you think it matters that much? I don't guess I have ever really paid attention, but does it affect their movement the following morning of a full moon? Feed later? Look for better(thicker) cover in timber?
jdr
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:57 pm

jdr wrote:More activity during a full moon, especially with a cold front pushing them. Do you think it matters that much? I don't guess I have ever really paid attention, but does it affect their movement the following morning of a full moon? Feed later? Look for better(thicker) cover in timber?

They night feed and raft up on roost in remote areas during daylight hours for days on end. They're extraordinarily hard to hunt on full moons, especially when they're roosted on protected rest areas. Makes for short bags and the much increased likelihood for citations, because someone inevitably gets so fed up with the pattern that they fire a shot or two at the birds which come & go just before and just after legal shooting hours.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:30 am

I HAAAAAATTTTE full moons. Very similar to Cannon's description, where we hunt you will hear them flying and feeding all night long then here comes the sun and out go the birds to the middle of the lake. But I guess what Greenster was saying is hope for cloud cover and precip on those full moons, I could see that messing with their heads a little.
UofAduckman1987
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:54 am

Last night I was night bass fishing and heard flock after flock of Specks rolling in.
Gotta love a full moon for bass fishing though. Image

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby jdr » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:15 am

Very nice Trent! I've toyed with doing some evening catfishing this weekend up on the Black.
jdr
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:52 am

One day my patience will win over and I will be able to wait long enough to catch a big catfish...maybe

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby jdr » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:45 pm

We limb and trotline and the time between running them, we drink beer. I hardly ever bring a pole any more!
jdr
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:54 pm

That sounds like the way to do it my man.

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby greenster » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:24 pm

As mentioned above, The Bird's movement during the day is greatly reduced. I have found That the really thick non pressured areas are the place to be, but this isn't reliable 100% of the time. When numbers are low mixed with full moon, times get though. heavy cloud cover with precipitation during the full moon night's provide Substantially better odd's of LST movement.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby birdman24 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Hearing the specks fly over the house every night & seeing them in the moonlight gets me fired up..its shaping up to be a good one with the rain and fairly cool temps. Best of luck to everybody this season! :thumbsup:
birdman24
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:23 pm

cannon wrote:
jdr wrote:More activity during a full moon, especially with a cold front pushing them. Do you think it matters that much? I don't guess I have ever really paid attention, but does it affect their movement the following morning of a full moon? Feed later? Look for better(thicker) cover in timber?

They night feed and raft up on roost in remote areas during daylight hours for days on end. They're extraordinarily hard to hunt on full moons, especially when they're roosted on protected rest areas. Makes for short bags and the much increased likelihood for citations, because someone inevitably gets so fed up with the pattern that they fire a shot or two at the birds which come & go just before and just after legal shooting hours.

Roosting birds is not all bad.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:23 pm

birdman24 wrote:Hearing the specks fly over the house every night & seeing them in the moonlight gets me fired up..its shaping up to be a good one with the rain and fairly cool temps. Best of luck to everybody this season! :thumbsup:

You should see them in the daytime.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby greenster » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:40 pm

Guess What ole greenster Has 34 day's before the opener?

Okay I'll just show a sneak peak.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby steve-o » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:29 pm

greenster wrote:Guess What ole greenster Has 34 day's before the opener?

Okay I'll just show a sneak peak.

Oooh, I've been there before.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jdr » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Were you at RB today? I squirrel hunted up there this morning, wind didn't cooperate but still managed to bag 5. Looks like RB is filling up nicely.
jdr
hunter

Postby cannon » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:02 am

ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:

Roosting birds is not all bad.

Nah, roosting birds is what keeps us in business. Birds roosting in the dead center of a 4-square mile lake all day for 3 weeks straight while they feed through your fields during the nighttime hours, however, is extraordinarily frustrating.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Next

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting