38 days Gentlemen!

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

Re: 38 days Gentlemen!

Postby greenster » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:17 am

Oooh, I've been there before.

Eh.. Probably Close, But I bet not within a mile of this particular hole.

Were you at RB today? I squirrel hunted up there this morning, wind didn't cooperate but still managed to bag 5. Looks like RB is filling up nicely.

Nah, About 250 miles away. I took the .22 hopeing to get a few, but Wind was a ****. Plus I couldn't beat the deer, coyotes and hogs off. They need to quit eating my duck's food.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Trent_Rivers » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:37 pm

Tried to squirrell hunt Bayou Deview to no avail did see lots of Canada's and a few groups kid big ducks. Made it worth the trip. Any squirrel hunting pointers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby jdr » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:00 pm

Here's my simple squirrel hunt list and I never come empty.

1. Find the food
2. Buy a lightweight blind seat, I use one of the light weight tripod ones
3. Hunt them like you are deer hunting (everyone sees squirrels when they are deer hunting)
4. Look for den trees

I hunt over acorns, persimmons, hickory nuts, walnuts, etc. Use your ears as much as your eyes especially after a rain. It will be easy to hear them jumping from tree to tree cause they will knock the water off of the leaves. I'll walk to my first spot before sun up and sit, and wait till 30-45 minutes after sunrise. If I am not seeing anything I will move on to my next spot which is usually 100 yards away. Same thing, sit and wait. I'll do this for 4-5 spots and then circle back around to the first spot, usually do it till I get between 8-12 grays. If all I am killing is reds I will stop at 6, they are usually bigger and tougher. This past weekend with the rain and wind I did a little sitting and some stalking. I hardly ever stalk, but with the ground wet and the tree's blowing every which way I figured it would conceal me somewhat. Other than that just have fun. I will take some snacks and a few drinks and spend most of the day out there especially when it is cool like it is now outside. If I get tired I will abandon the stool and lay up against a tree and dose off.
jdr
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:42 pm

I squirrel with a case knife and a old black waterhose so it takes me almost all day to get enough for a good meal. :sarcmark:

I sure hope I can get a tree rat hunt in before duck season. I don't like to sit in one place, I keep going at a very slow pace.. Couple step's and stand for a few and check out my new views. If I got my scatter gun I'll stalk at that point when I get eye's on one. ON the quiet morning's it's all stalk and kill.

Anyone ever used a squirrel call? do I need decoy's? :D
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jdr » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:57 pm

Yes, the Mojo Squirrel!! I take 2 quarters and rub the outer edges together, sounds like feeding. I will also make a smooching sound with my lips, early season it really gets them going.
jdr
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Thanks for the info. The squirrell hunt wasn't a total bust though. Found a pretty large hole with lots of acorns. If she floods then it'll be a good addition.

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby jdr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:58 am

Thats mainly why I squirrel hunt up at Rainey, learn the woods, and look for new area's. Bagging squirrels in the process is the cherry on top of the cake. How well do you know Bayou Deview? I would like to learn a few duck holes out there just to open possibilities up. Whats the pressure like? Good walk in area's? Boat area's? Whats the temperament of the locals?
jdr
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:13 am

Jdr I don't know very much about it honestly. Hunted there once at the very end of the season. I will be spending more time there this year and I should be able to learn a thing or two. I do have a couple holes I found but not much more than that yet. Walking in is a definite possibility but the majority of people boat in.
I've heard mixed opinions, some people say that it's great early season but falls off. Others say that it is to small to hold enough ducks and doesn't support a large enough amount of hunters. We will see.

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:50 am

Trent_Rivers wrote:Jdr I don't know very much about it honestly. Hunted there once at the very end of the season. I will be spending more time there this year and I should be able to learn a thing or two. I do have a couple holes I found but not much more than that yet. Walking in is a definite possibility but the majority of people boat in.
I've heard mixed opinions, some people say that it's great early season but falls off. Others say that it is to small to hold enough ducks and doesn't support a large enough amount of hunters. We will see.

Bayou's spotty, but gets really good at times. Look in places other people don't go, especially when we've had high water. Ignore the hole in Sitzer's levee on the north line of the lost 80. It holds birds, but it's a mob out there.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby greenster » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:40 pm

How many acres of that place flood annually? I have found on the area I hunt each group needs APPROX 100 acres to continually hold birds/ have successful hunt's. Anything more than 35 vehicles and the hunting goes to complete crap.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:09 pm

greenster wrote:How many acres of that place flood annually? I have found on the area I hunt each group needs APPROX 100 acres to continually hold birds/ have successful hunt's. Anything more than 35 vehicles and the hunting goes to complete crap.

I'd venture to guess less than 400 acres, total. The middle tract has about 300 of those. North 80 probably doesn't average more than 20 acres flooded, and the south tract probably averages about 40. Takes some high water to make it better.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Trent_Rivers » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:54 pm

If they would flood it fully it would hold a lot more birds I feel like. It's smack dab in the middle of miles of rice fields. Perfect place to loaf for them I would think.

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:15 am

400a would require constant flow of new birds to be good day in and out.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CrazyDrake » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:49 am

whatever they are doing it seems to be right. we are just north of them, going over this weekend to do a little work and chase all the geese that are north of the out of the country and south to them!
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:51 pm

send em south. The more they eat the fields the sooner the duck's hit's the woods.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Previous

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting