Byers Farm Migration

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Edge wrote:Yes sir! I'm 30 mins south of you and we are opening up another 90 acres for this season.

Where do you hunt?
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby greenster » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:27 pm

Byer's.. Let us know how this latest cold front treat's you.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:10 pm

greenster wrote:Byer's.. Let us know how this latest cold front treat's you.

I won't know much until the sun comes out. Birds spread out pretty good on cloudy rainy days. When they get ready to loaf we will know what's going on.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Edge » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:42 am

ByersFarm wrote:
Edge wrote:Yes sir! I'm 30 mins south of you and we are opening up another 90 acres for this season.

Where do you hunt?

The other side of Brinkley, off 70 and 302.

Edge
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:05 am

We've picked up a good number is geese and ducks.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby greenster » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:40 am

Thanks for the report byers.. Looks as if Canada may finally get some freeze up this week.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:00 pm

greenster wrote:Thanks for the report byers.. Looks as if Canada may finally get some freeze up this week.

I think we are in good shape as a state. If the birds move now or next week there's a lot more water in the state than there would have been three weeks ago.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby greenster » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:07 am

ByersFarm wrote:
greenster wrote:Thanks for the report byers.. Looks as if Canada may finally get some freeze up this week.

I think we are in good shape as a state. If the birds move now or next week there's a lot more water in the state than there would have been three weeks ago.

I agree. I also look at the central flyway reports, As the Arkansas river will funnel a small % of those birds down to the SE part of the state for a added influx. I think the last numbers I seen where like 4.1% of the birds in the state sit around this AR river valley from the Central flyway. Think the river valley averages around 70 birds taken per square mile, but that's due to not much land around the river. but reports from Oklahoma, and around are not real good. Seem's like groups are taking around 1 limit, mostly GWT, but a few big birds thrown in.

The Yankees up the Mississippi haven't been doing bad but still lot's of GWT. The condition's are almost Ideal here just waiting.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:39 pm

greenster wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

I agree. I also look at the central flyway reports, As the Arkansas river will funnel a small % of those birds down to the SE part of the state for a added influx. I think the last numbers I seen where like 4.1% of the birds in the state sit around this AR river valley from the Central flyway. Think the river valley averages around 70 birds taken per square mile, but that's due to not much land around the river. but reports from Oklahoma, and around are not real good. Seem's like groups are taking around 1 limit, mostly GWT, but a few big birds thrown in.

The Yankees up the Mississippi haven't been doing bad but still lot's of GWT. The condition's are almost Ideal here just waiting.

So long as the world doesn't flood we could be in for a great year.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby AR Dave » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:09 am

We're getting excited over here in our stretch of the River Valley, Mallards are getting here earlier than we are used too. Lot of phone calls and group text being passed around. :grooving:
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Edge » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:04 pm

We need rain........
Edge
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:34 pm

Edge wrote:We need rain........

Id like to see no more rain the rest of the month.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Edge » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Why is that? The Cache is at 4.5' .
Edge
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:25 pm

Edge wrote:Why is that? The Cache is at 4.5' .

Because I'm greedy, and area I hunt does REALLY well when water level are low and it's phenomenal when water's are Extremely High..Extreme only happens a couple times a decade. When everyone has a decent amount of water it's..hit/miss

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:39 am

I'm good with no more rain.
Still seeing good numbers of mallards, but we're not quite where I want to be.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:41 am

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Edge » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:42 pm

greenster wrote:
Edge wrote:Why is that? The Cache is at 4.5' .

Because I'm greedy, and area I hunt does REALLY well when water level are low and it's phenomenal when water's are Extremely High..Extreme only happens a couple times a decade. When everyone has a decent amount of water it's..hit/miss

Well I guess I'm greedy too. I like to hunt the river bottoms in the morning and the farm in the afternoon, but it looks like the first week will be all farm.
Edge
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:55 pm

I normally do a "no" rain dance. I hope for no rain all season. then we are the only game in town around our neck of the woods. Its off the chain when its super dry. cost lots to pump but worth it!!
YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:49 pm

mitchmc wrote:I normally do a "no" rain dance. I hope for no rain all season. then we are the only game in town around our neck of the woods. Its off the chain when its super dry. cost lots to pump but worth it!!

Except most of the ducks just fly the rivers to the atchafalaya and pass up the entire state. Dry benefits no one in the long run, including the ducks.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:49 am

greenster wrote:
mitchmc wrote:I normally do a "no" rain dance. I hope for no rain all season. then we are the only game in town around our neck of the woods. Its off the chain when its super dry. cost lots to pump but worth it!!

Except most of the ducks just fly the rivers to the atchafalaya and pass up the entire state. Dry benefits no one in the long run, including the ducks.

I'm going to disagree with you there. While a wet fall will stop a lot of ducks, a dry fall does benefit those who spend their own money to benefit the ducks. What makes a dry fall bad for most is a flood.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:22 am

I didn't mean that as an attack on anyone greenster. The private land owners work hard, and a dry year usually benefits them more. I feel that in a dry year even the river hunters should be thankful for the efforts of private landowners. There's no question that a wet fall helps the state stop more birds, but Mitch is talking about his place. Being the only candy store in town has it's benefits.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Edge » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:52 pm

Amen brother. We are laying a 36" pipe right now to flood another 90 acres, and I don't get any of that back as I don't guide. This is a family and friends operation. I just like having more water to keep more birds in the area and it saves a ton if we don't have to pump. We also leave as much rice as the law will allow, but we would leave more if we could. And I will keep spending money as long as my kids want to hunt, maybe I can get my soon to be grand daughter out some day.
Edge
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:41 pm

oh yes, If you have water in the dry years the hunting is great, I'm really referring to the fact that Dry condition = poor habitat which will equal about 8%-15% decline in population from a good condition year.. Last really Bad one I recall was around 2002.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:10 pm

I've never compared dry conditions here to dry conditions on nesting grounds when we see a population decrease. We do, however, hold water very late into the spring. I do everything in my power to provide the best habitat I can. It's all about the greater good.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby AR Dave » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Edge wrote:Amen brother. We are laying a 36" pipe right now to flood another 90 acres, and I don't get any of that back as I don't guide. This is a family and friends operation. I just like having more water to keep more birds in the area and it saves a ton if we don't have to pump. We also leave as much rice as the law will allow, but we would leave more if we could. And I will keep spending money as long as my kids want to hunt, maybe I can get my soon to be grand daughter out some day.

We just put in two 36" pipes (those are big pipes) through a levee to make a 10 acre duck hole. Having a blast playing in a 200 acre sand box. We contracted with Wetlands Recovery Project, they come in lay out a design, and give you more money, than you need, to make it all happen. Awesome deal for this situation. Oh yes I'd like to see some rain fill that up. We have a half dozen places we flood with pumps, one of our best low water places is a swamp lake though. Anyhow I like it when everything is flush with water, just seems like more ducks, everyone is enjoying life, we can rotate among 2 dozen holes, don't have to mess with pumps, just all around better season to me. I'd rather hunt among the Cypress Trees, in the swamp, than our fields with pit blinds, but numbers aren't focus.
AR Dave
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting