Byers Farm Migration

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Re: Byers Farm Migration

Postby Edge » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:30 pm

That's right Dave, numbers aren't as important to me as the experiance. As long as everyone has a good and safe hunt, I am happy. We do however, see good numbers. :thumbsup:
Edge
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:12 pm

Edge wrote:Amen brother. We are laying a 36" pipe right now to flood another 90 acres, and I don't get any of that back as I don't guide. This is a family and friends operation. I just like having more water to keep more birds in the area and it saves a ton if we don't have to pump. We also leave as much rice as the law will allow, but we would leave more if we could. And I will keep spending money as long as my kids want to hunt, maybe I can get my soon to be grand daughter out some day.

There's nothing better than people taking the initiative to help waterfowl. While we do guide, we do it mainly for the value of keeping the history of our place alive. We are not a full bore full time operation with only money in sight. For us, guiding helps to pay some bills and allows us to share our passion with more people. For instance, had it not been for sponsoring here, we would have never hosted the DHC hunts at our place. I know that you didn't mean anything by your comment, but I wanted to dispel some misconceptions about us. Without guiding it would be difficult to do the things that we do on the scale that we do them.
Cason
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby greenster » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:45 pm

Duck hunting is a social Event, always has been. I'm non-social and have a bad attitude so I hunt with very few people. :yes: I think the majority of us here on this ARK forum care for our duck's and waterfowl population, while we don't all agree we are all on the same page and obviously enjoy the sport and comradery. I could pick an All star hunting party from this here Arkansas forum.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:40 pm

greenster wrote: could pick an All star hunting party from this here Arkansas forum.

I would be there to fill the roll of fastest duck breaster in the world. It should be noted, however, that I generally leave that sliver of meat that runs next to the breast bone. It's just too much trouble. Sometimes people don't like that I leave that sliver of meat, but when you're the worlds fastest duck breaster, you have to make sacrifices.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby AR Dave » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:28 pm

greenster wrote:Duck hunting is a social Event, always has been. I'm non-social and have a bad attitude so I hunt with very few people. :yes: I think the majority of us here on this ARK forum care for our duck's and waterfowl population, while we don't all agree we are all on the same page and obviously enjoy the sport and comradery. I could pick an All star hunting party from this here Arkansas forum.

LOL I hear you greenster, struggle with it myself. I'd just as soon go down to the swamp, spend all day hunting by myself. My hunting partner, landowner, is just the opposite - he gets upset if we hunt without a full frat party going on. :grooving:
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:50 am

cannon wrote:
greenster wrote: could pick an All star hunting party from this here Arkansas forum.

I would be there to fill the roll of fastest duck breaster in the world. It should be noted, however, that I generally leave that sliver of meat that runs next to the breast bone. It's just too much trouble. Sometimes people don't like that I leave that sliver of meat, but when you're the worlds fastest duck breaster, you have to make sacrifices.

That's the best part brah! It only takes 300 ducks to make a bowl of soup.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:00 am

Westtennduckhunter wrote:
cannon wrote:

'Tis true. On the other hand, 'yotes gotta eat, and Cannon''s here to see to it that they do. Yup, I'm here to fill in any missing links to the food chain. Don't thank me, though. The hard work and healthy dog pack is reward enough. They should seriously name a federal conservation agency or WMA or something after me.
cannon
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:10 am

cannon wrote:
cannon wrote:

'Tis true. On the other hand, 'yotes gotta eat, and Cannon''s here to see to it that they do. Yup, I'm here to fill in any missing links to the food chain. Don't thank me, though. The hard work and healthy dog pack is reward enough. They should seriously name a federal conservation agency or WMA or something after me.

I'd be happy to name the slough in the new timber project after you. Sliver Slough? It's got a nice ring to it.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:14 am

ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:
cannon wrote:

I'd be happy to name the slough in the new timber project after you. Sliver Slough? It's got a nice ring to it.

Hot damn I like it
teddysberna wrote:

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:48 am

ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:
cannon wrote:

Hot damn I like it

Posterity. Now we're talkin'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
cannon
hunter

Postby Edge » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:57 am

ByersFarm wrote:
Edge wrote:Amen brother. We are laying a 36" pipe right now to flood another 90 acres, and I don't get any of that back as I don't guide. This is a family and friends operation. I just like having more water to keep more birds in the area and it saves a ton if we don't have to pump. We also leave as much rice as the law will allow, but we would leave more if we could. And I will keep spending money as long as my kids want to hunt, maybe I can get my soon to be grand daughter out some day.

There's nothing better than people taking the initiative to help waterfowl. While we do guide, we do it mainly for the value of keeping the history of our place alive. We are not a full bore full time operation with only money in sight. For us, guiding helps to pay some bills and allows us to share our passion with more people. For instance, had it not been for sponsoring here, we would have never hosted the DHC hunts at our place. I know that you didn't mean anything by your comment, but I wanted to dispel some misconceptions about us. Without guiding it would be difficult to do the things that we do on the scale that we do them.
Cason

NO,NO,NO. I know you run a first class operation. I wish I had the time to guide some. Whenever I am asked about a guide service I send em your way. I was just agreeing that it cost a small fortune to maintain a farm for ducks whithout paying guest. Someone said they hunt ducks for meat. I fugure that duck meat cost me about $750 a lb.
Edge
hunter

Postby Edge » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:08 am

AR Dave wrote:

We just put in two 36" pipes (those are big pipes) through a levee to make a 10 acre duck hole. Having a blast playing in a 200 acre sand box. We contracted with Wetlands Recovery Project, they come in lay out a design, and give you more money, than you need, to make it all happen. Awesome deal for this situation. Oh yes I'd like to see some rain fill that up. We have a half dozen places we flood with pumps, one of our best low water places is a swamp lake though. Anyhow I like it when everything is flush with water, just seems like more ducks, everyone is enjoying life, we can rotate among 2 dozen holes, don't have to mess with pumps, just all around better season to me. I'd rather hunt among the Cypress Trees, in the swamp, than our fields with pit blinds, but numbers aren't focus.

I just hit a road block. We just ran into two 36" pipes that the city has run through there and our pipe won't handle the overflow if we have a bad rain. We have to do some more figurin on this. I am going to contact the WRP to see if they can help out on this.
Edge
hunter

Postby greenster » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:13 pm

cannon brake. sliver access
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:06 pm

cannon wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:
cannon wrote:

Hot damn I like it

Posterity. Now we're talkin'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

What can I say? I'm a giver.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:10 pm

Edge wrote:
ByersFarm wrote:

Cason

NO,NO,NO. I know you run a first class operation. I wish I had the time to guide some. Whenever I am asked about a guide service I send em your way. I was just agreeing that it cost a small fortune to maintain a farm for ducks whithout paying guest. Someone said they hunt ducks for meat. I fugure that duck meat cost me about $750 a lb.

I appreciate that. I knew what you meant and I didn't want you to think I was aiming that at you. It's easy for people to get the wrong idea about us. If I can offset some of the costs of pursuing my passion and still provide high quality hunting it's a win win. Making a living at it has never been a goal of mine.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:26 pm

cannon wrote:

...but that's the best part on the bird.... :sarcmark: :wink:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:56 pm

Edge wrote:
AR Dave wrote:

We just put in two 36" pipes (those are big pipes) through a levee to make a 10 acre duck hole. Having a blast playing in a 200 acre sand box. We contracted with Wetlands Recovery Project, they come in lay out a design, and give you more money, than you need, to make it all happen. Awesome deal for this situation. Oh yes I'd like to see some rain fill that up. We have a half dozen places we flood with pumps, one of our best low water places is a swamp lake though. Anyhow I like it when everything is flush with water, just seems like more ducks, everyone is enjoying life, we can rotate among 2 dozen holes, don't have to mess with pumps, just all around better season to me. I'd rather hunt among the Cypress Trees, in the swamp, than our fields with pit blinds, but numbers aren't focus.

I just hit a road block. We just ran into two 36" pipes that the city has run through there and our pipe won't handle the overflow if we have a bad rain. We have to do some more figurin on this. I am going to contact the WRP to see if they can help out on this.

I looked at one of the boundary stakes as I walked by deer hunting today - "Reserve Program" hard for me to remember so many programs.

IMG_2099.JPG
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Edge » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:38 am

Thanks, Dave.
Edge
hunter

Postby greenster » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:10 am

Lease I use to be in had WRP potholes, Surrounded by Coffee... duck's used the Crap out of it, Guess it looked like home. Was great until the club owner put a blind in the middle of one of the potholes... They where like a narrow 1-3' pond. Coffee was easy to hide in.. Seen ducks on the bank in the coffee several times.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby greenster » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Byers How did this Southern wind and tropical weather treat the birds that already here... Just trying to get a grasp on how this affects the birds.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Edge » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:01 am

There is an old song about it called, North To Alaska............sorry,couldn't resist.
Edge
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:32 pm

greenster wrote:Byers How did this Southern wind and tropical weather treat the birds that already here... Just trying to get a grasp on how this affects the birds.

It didn't seem to have any impact at all. The only weather that severely affects them on the roost is lightening.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby cannon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:33 am

ByersFarm wrote:
greenster wrote:Byers How did this Southern wind and tropical weather treat the birds that already here... Just trying to get a grasp on how this affects the birds.

It didn't seem to have any impact at all. The only weather that severely affects them on the roost is lightening.

. . . and torrential rains. Dear God, I hope we don't get big rains before the weekend.
cannon
hunter

Postby cannon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:33 am

ByersFarm wrote:

. . . and torrential rains. Dear God, I hope we don't get big rains before the weekend.
cannon
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:46 am

Definitely not twice.
teddysberna wrote:

Westtennduckhunter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting