Looking for tips on hunting flooded timber.

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

Looking for tips on hunting flooded timber.

Postby waterfowlcableguy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:51 pm

I am 26 and for the past 14 years I have been privileged with hunting on a local farmers fields in pits. I have been on a couple of hunts with friends on small rivers such as the Cache River. I live in Northeast Arkansas and am looking for tips on hunting flooded timber since I am not going to be able to hunt in fields this year. I got a new boat over the summer and looking at starting a new tradition of hunting flooded timber but really dont know how to set out decoys, call, or even scout for ducks. I am looking for any advice that anyone wants to offer. Also I am open to suggestions on where maybe some areas that might be a little easier on a new guy. Thanks in advance!!!
waterfowlcableguy
Newb

Re: Looking for tips on hunting flooded timber.

Postby jdr » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:19 pm

Where you thinking about hunting? You need to get out this week or weekend and start scouting some holes out. I hunt RB every opening weekend and we call loud and often. Bigger groups of hunters seem to do better. We will put out 3-4 dozen decoys and usually hunt a bigger hole. I like to find a hole that isn't covered in leaves, otherwise I will rake the leaves out of the way. Its going to be a busy weekend on public land next weekend, and if you have never been before, its going to blow your mind.
jdr
hunter

Postby CrazyDrake » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:46 am

Someone let you hunt for 14 years and never taught/made you learn how to call? Really though, good luck. I hope you can get on them. Gonna need to find a place, and get there an hour earlier than you think you need to get there.
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby waterfowlcableguy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:44 pm

CrazyDrake wrote:Someone let you hunt for 14 years and never taught/made you learn how to call? Really though, good luck. I hope you can get on them. Gonna need to find a place, and get there an hour earlier than you think you need to get there.

No I know how to call and think of my self to be pretty decent. I didnt know if calling in the woods and calling in a field is any different. I know a couple local rivers like the back of my hand due to running trot lines. I've personally never hunted them because of having access to a field
waterfowlcableguy
Newb

Postby ArkansasRobertson » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:28 pm

jdr wrote:Where you thinking about hunting? You need to get out this week or weekend and start scouting some holes out. I hunt RB every opening weekend and we call loud and often. Bigger groups of hunters seem to do better. We will put out 3-4 dozen decoys and usually hunt a bigger hole. I like to find a hole that isn't covered in leaves, otherwise I will rake the leaves out of the way. Its going to be a busy weekend on public land next weekend, and if you have never been before, its going to blow your mind.

I hunted rainey all thanksgiving. Your right about the leaves. I raked all morning bahaha.
ArkansasRobertson
hunter

Postby Erikcooper » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:19 pm

Where are you in NE AR and where you planning to hunt? I'm in Marion. We've had a slow going in pits so far and we're putting together a blind for the boat Saturday and gonna get out and scout some spots as well.
Erikcooper
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:46 am

waterfowlcableguy wrote:
CrazyDrake wrote:Someone let you hunt for 14 years and never taught/made you learn how to call? Really though, good luck. I hope you can get on them. Gonna need to find a place, and get there an hour earlier than you think you need to get there.

No I know how to call and think of my self to be pretty decent. I didnt know if calling in the woods and calling in a field is any different. I know a couple local rivers like the back of my hand due to running trot lines. I've personally never hunted them because of having access to a field

Call 4 times as much and 5 times as loud as you would in a rice field. And no, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm dead serious. 4 times as much, 5 times as loud.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting