(SPLIT) Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart area

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

(SPLIT) Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart area

Postby steve-o » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:10 pm

greenster wrote:For timber around Stuttgart I would still say Stuttgart hunting club, But Byers is Top notch here in the state, I have no doubt you would be satisfied with Byers. A bad day in the timber is better than a good day in the fields IMO.


:huh:
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
User avatar
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4042
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Arkansas


Re: Can I get some Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart ar

Postby cannon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:05 pm

Some people hunt for the hunt. If green timber is your thing, nothing else will suffice. By the same token, I know hunters who will turn down a hunt in the woods for the field every time. It's a matter of personal preference.

As for me, I'm a "love the one you're with" type of guy. My enamor with duck hunting is grounded in the social aspect of the sport. Don't get me wrong, I like dismantling a group of birds as much as anybody. But in the end, it's the fellowship that appeals to me.

As for the guides, there are a number of good ones in and around Stuttgart As for Byers Farm, I've never seen finer hunting anywhere in the state, and I've got a fair amount of experience to back that assessment. It's good stuff.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
User avatar
cannon
hunter
 
Posts: 4152
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Re: Can I get some Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart ar

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:55 am

Slash LaReux wrote:Tony their are some very good guides here in Stuttgart. Some even support this website. They just don't scour it so hard for perspective clients. I think if you put a little more into your search you would find exactly what your looking for. I guess what in saying is if I wanted go to Vegas would I really be happy at the BEST place in Reno?

And the debate about sugar vs the rest of the state begins again. http://www.byersfarm.com/wp-content/upl ... veler1.pdf
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12722
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Can I get some Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart ar

Postby greenster » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:26 am

I can't explain how much I dislike fields. this is why I don't have a lease anymore. though I do want to try some dry fields for ducks one day.. in Arkansas
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
User avatar
greenster
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4426
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: arkansas Green Timber

Re: Can I get some Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart ar

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:12 pm

greenster wrote:I can't explain how much I dislike fields. this is why I don't have a lease anymore. though I do want to try some dry fields for ducks one day.. in Arkansas

To each his own. They all have bad days, but I wouldn't trade my best day for any timber hole's best day. That's just my preference though. To me, you can't beat killing 8 bird limits with the additional snows.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12722
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Can I get some Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart ar

Postby Edge » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:41 pm

It's like sex, even bad sex is good................
User avatar
Edge
hunter
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Can I get some Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart ar

Postby ARduckcwby » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:27 pm

cannon wrote:Some people hunt for the hunt. If green timber is your thing, nothing else will suffice. By the same token, I know hunters who will turn down a hunt in the woods for the field every time. It's a matter of personal preference.

As for me, I'm a "love the one you're with" type of guy. My enamor with duck hunting is grounded in the social aspect of the sport. Don't get me wrong, I like dismantling a group of birds as much as anybody. But in the end, it's the fellowship that appeals to me.

As for the guides, there are a number of good ones in and around Stuttgart As for Byers Farm, I've never seen finer hunting anywhere in the state, and I've got a fair amount of experience to back that assessment. It's good stuff.



Much agreed,

Although I'm not as much seasoned as some of you guys, I enjoy the company, shooting the sh@t, and having a good time, rather thn pulling the trigger.

:beer:
ARduckcwby
hunter
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:01 am

Re: Can I get some Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart ar

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:59 pm

I can attest to Byers farm. Top notch hunting and lodge.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
User avatar
Westtennduckhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 12344
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:04 pm
Location: Memphis, tn

Re: Can I get some Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart ar

Postby Slash LaReux » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:33 pm

Nope not looking to start a debate because it would not change many opinions. I thought the OP was asking about providers of timber hunting opportunities around Stuttgart. I had no idea he really wanted to hunt in a field 52 miles north. Personally I enjoy both venues, however timber is probably my favorite. I was hoping to get Tonty to talk to people who have paid to hunt with guides like those in other states who travel here and pay to hunt. I do know guides who hunt their clients in and around Stuttgart personally but I am probably not as impartial as one of their clients would be so I didn't mention any names. Maybe it's just me but you can be a hell of a guy, and I might trust you with my life but that doesn't mean necessarily that you are a good guide, booking agent, bonded, safe, own or have access to proven ground the list goes on and on. But I don't have a dog in this fight (not trying to book a hunt) and he might enjoy getting a couple more ducks ( nothing better than a spoony drake in full plumage, or a late season blue wing teal)
Slash LaReux
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:17 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Ar

Re: Can I get some Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart ar

Postby steve-o » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:08 pm

Slash LaReux wrote:Tony their are some very good guides here in Stuttgart. Some even support this website. They just don't scour it so hard for perspective clients. I think if you put a little more into your search you would find exactly what your looking for. I guess what in saying is if I wanted go to Vegas would I really be happy at the BEST place in Reno?

What if the best place in Reno is better than Vegas?
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
User avatar
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4042
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: Can I get some Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart ar

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:03 pm

Slash LaReux wrote:Nope not looking to start a debate because it would not change many opinions. I thought the OP was asking about providers of timber hunting opportunities around Stuttgart. I had no idea he really wanted to hunt in a field 52 miles north. Personally I enjoy both venues, however timber is probably my favorite. I was hoping to get Tonty to talk to people who have paid to hunt with guides like those in other states who travel here and pay to hunt. I do know guides who hunt their clients in and around Stuttgart personally but I am probably not as impartial as one of their clients would be so I didn't mention any names. Maybe it's just me but you can be a hell of a guy, and I might trust you with my life but that doesn't mean necessarily that you are a good guide, booking agent, bonded, safe, own or have access to proven ground the list goes on and on. But I don't have a dog in this fight (not trying to book a hunt) and he might enjoy getting a couple more ducks ( nothing better than a spoony drake in full plumage, or a late season blue wing teal)


I was just joking about the same ole debate. The OP asked about hunting in the area and said he wanted to hunt one day in timber. I responded to his post, which is not something I do a lot of in this forum for this very reason, and you hopped in saying that I scour the site for clients and he should look elsewhere. You are completely within your right to recommend someone else, and I'm good with that. Free advice is what makes this site work.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12722
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: (SPLIT) Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart area

Postby steve-o » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Slash LaReux wrote:Nope not looking to start a debate because it would not change many opinions. I thought the OP was asking about providers of timber hunting opportunities around Stuttgart. I had no idea he really wanted to hunt in a field 52 miles north. Personally I enjoy both venues, however timber is probably my favorite. I was hoping to get Tonty to talk to people who have paid to hunt with guides like those in other states who travel here and pay to hunt. I do know guides who hunt their clients in and around Stuttgart personally but I am probably not as impartial as one of their clients would be so I didn't mention any names. Maybe it's just me but you can be a hell of a guy, and I might trust you with my life but that doesn't mean necessarily that you are a good guide, booking agent, bonded, safe, own or have access to proven ground the list goes on and on. But I don't have a dog in this fight (not trying to book a hunt) and he might enjoy getting a couple more ducks ( nothing better than a spoony drake in full plumage, or a late season blue wing teal)

Not looking for a debate? Then why did you type out a paragraph? If you truly didn't want to start a debate then you would have stopped your post after the first sentence.
I have hunted the "Stuttgart area" with a guide service and never been near the town, yet the guide advertises Stuttgart area. One morning we traveled 45 miles to the hunting grounds. The OP did not define a mileage did he? Why are you so worried about who the OP talks with? If you really wanted him to talk with other people from out of state, why didn't you recommend that he go to another state forum and ask them?
When people come to this forum ask about XYZ guide service the first thing I do it look them up and check phone numbers. I have yet to find one with an Arkansas based #. These traveling guide services don't have proven ground any more than me throwing a dart at the map and saying that's were the ducks are. They are leasing a rice field from a farmer with the sole purpose of making a profit, not maintaining quality duck habitat.

I hope you are not being sarcastic about the spoonie. I would love to kill one.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
User avatar
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4042
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: Can I get some Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart ar

Postby jdr » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:16 am

greenster wrote:I can't explain how much I dislike fields. this is why I don't have a lease anymore. though I do want to try some dry fields for ducks one day.. in Arkansas


Same here brother. Maybe its the having to sit in a pit, or looking at the same view waiting for ducks to come into shooting range.
jdr
hunter
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:54 am

Re: Can I get some Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart ar

Postby greenster » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:32 pm

jdr wrote:
greenster wrote:I can't explain how much I dislike fields. this is why I don't have a lease anymore. though I do want to try some dry fields for ducks one day.. in Arkansas


Same here brother. Maybe its the having to sit in a pit, or looking at the same view waiting for ducks to come into shooting range.



PITS are the worst.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
User avatar
greenster
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4426
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: arkansas Green Timber

Re: (SPLIT) Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart area

Postby steve-o » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:35 pm

so you're saying pits are the pits. :lol3:
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
User avatar
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4042
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: (SPLIT) Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart area

Postby Slash LaReux » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:46 pm

steve-o wrote:
Slash LaReux wrote:Nope not looking to start a debate because it would not change many opinions. I thought the OP was asking about providers of timber hunting opportunities around Stuttgart. I had no idea he really wanted to hunt in a field 52 miles north. Personally I enjoy both venues, however timber is probably my favorite. I was hoping to get Tonty to talk to people who have paid to hunt with guides like those in other states who travel here and pay to hunt. I do know guides who hunt their clients in and around Stuttgart personally but I am probably not as impartial as one of their clients would be so I didn't mention any names. Maybe it's just me but you can be a hell of a guy, and I might trust you with my life but that doesn't mean necessarily that you are a good guide, booking agent, bonded, safe, own or have access to proven ground the list goes on and on. But I don't have a dog in this fight (not trying to book a hunt) and he might enjoy getting a couple more ducks ( nothing better than a spoony drake in full plumage, or a late season blue wing teal)

Not looking for a debate? Then why did you type out a paragraph? If you truly didn't want to start a debate then you would have stopped your post after the first sentence.
I have hunted the "Stuttgart area" with a guide service and never been near the town, yet the guide advertises Stuttgart area. One morning we traveled 45 miles to the hunting grounds. The OP did not define a mileage did he? Why are you so worried about who the OP talks with? If you really wanted him to talk with other people from out of state, why didn't you recommend that he go to another state forum and ask them?
When people come to this forum ask about XYZ guide service the first thing I do it look them up and check phone numbers. I have yet to find one with an Arkansas based #. These traveling guide services don't have proven ground any more than me throwing a dart at the map and saying that's were the ducks are. They are leasing a rice field from a farmer with the sole purpose of making a profit, not maintaining quality duck habitat.

I hope you are not being sarcastic about the spoonie. I would love to kill one.


So I guess with your paragraph you are not so much interested in debate but in chastising. No I don't think the OP specified mileage in fact let me re-read his post...... no he didn't but now that you have established 45 miles I can live with that from now all of my post shall reference that distance. And yes your right MANY people have fallen victim to guides and or outfitters that are not land owners or even residents of the state who do as you say lease ground, sometimes any ground, and just hunt. Stewardship is not their motive I as you would say they are profit driven. But you do realize this is the Internet and Tony is probably an adult so I don't know that it is my place to tell him whom he should talk to or on which forum I just thought former clients might prove more helpful. And I wish you luck with acquiring your Northern Shoveler, late season drakes have a lot more going for them than most as far as colors go. I think if you would search some of the site sponsors here you could find a couple of services that sport the 673 or 674 prefixes. I would go on but alas I'm hitting the end of my ten lines, trying to keep it under the eleven I quoted.
Slash LaReux
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:17 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Ar

Re: (SPLIT) Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart area

Postby cannon » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:34 am

Someone piss in your Cheerios, slash?
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
User avatar
cannon
hunter
 
Posts: 4152
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Re: (SPLIT) Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart area

Postby greenster » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:49 am

cannon wrote:Someone piss in your Cheerios, slash?



He's from the Arkansas net forum.....
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
User avatar
greenster
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4426
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: arkansas Green Timber

Re: (SPLIT) Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart area

Postby Slash LaReux » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:46 am

cannon wrote:Someone piss in your Cheerios, slash?

You know Cannon piss in Cheerios unfortunately doesn't sound to bad. Once the kid went off to school I think he took all of the good cereal with him. Or my wife just "thinks" I need Shredded Wheat..........either way fiber is apparently the new mainstay. I'm sorry if all of my unsolicited cleansing has made me come off as cranky, I will do my best to introduce some Fruity Pebbles to my diet ( on the sly of course ).
Slash LaReux
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:17 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Ar

Re: (SPLIT) Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart area

Postby Slash LaReux » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:25 pm

greenster wrote:
cannon wrote:Someone piss in your Cheerios, slash?



He's from the Arkansas net forum.....


You say that like it was a bad thing, personally I tend to like a little diversity now and again. I have noticed that many people bounce around between forums. By the way did you ever find that Marlin Cowboy Carbine you were interested in? Or maybe it was someone else... I don't know so many post so little time!
Slash LaReux
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:17 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Ar

Re: (SPLIT) Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart area

Postby greenster » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Slash LaReux wrote:
greenster wrote:
cannon wrote:Someone piss in your Cheerios, slash?



He's from the Arkansas net forum.....


You say that like it was a bad thing, personally I tend to like a little diversity now and again. I have noticed that many people bounce around between forums. By the way did you ever find that Marlin Cowboy Carbine you were interested in? Or maybe it was someone else... I don't know so many post so little time!


As far as the waterfowl section goes there..Bunch of misfit's that think they are the greatest thing to duck hunting..Generally speaking of course. Been looking for the right .45 long colt rifle for years. Seen it once at a gun show, Didn't pull the trigger @ $1300
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
User avatar
greenster
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4426
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: arkansas Green Timber

Re: (SPLIT) Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart area

Postby Slash LaReux » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:04 pm

Greenster your assessment is accurate but isn't that mix of personalities what makes it exciting to read. It's kind of like watching NASCAR and hoping for a wreck. Now I know what you were inferring in your earlier post and the more I think about it you are partly right.
Slash LaReux
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:17 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Ar

Re: (SPLIT) Guide recomendations for the Stuttgart area

Postby greenster » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:17 pm

haha funny you mention NASCAR because imagine most people there being fans. yeehaw na car... I do read it almost everyday and yes it entertains me.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
User avatar
greenster
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 4426
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: arkansas Green Timber


Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests