Let the Games Begin . . .

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Re: Let the Games Begin . . .

Postby AR Dave » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:05 pm

IMG_2142.JPG

Smiley's, Wood Ducks, Mallard, Gadwall - not flying much this morning.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Humpbackshooter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:56 pm

Cannon, is them full bodies w/ stands?........ What brand. Been thinking of buying some.

Really like the side/side. My kind of ride. Curly feathers and all :yes:

Hump.
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:06 pm

GHG dek's. bought em at Rogers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby AR Dave » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:13 pm

I'm really close to getting either the Ranger or Honda's New Pioneer 700-4. Honda was way far behind in the side by side, but they've finally gotten it together in the last year. Sure would be better than 4 people and gear hanging off a 4 wheeler.

Your hand healing up Cannon?
AR Dave
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:42 pm

Dang all you guys are lucky the best I managed this year was 3 miles from missouri and i shot 3 mallards in one shot and the others shot a widgeon and gadwall. I'm wanting to kill a speck bad anybody got some tips???
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:40 am

AR, I would strongly consider the Ranger over the Honda. Polaris were the innovators of the side by sides. here is a picture of my War Wagon. I have no complaints, did put a 2" lift and had a dog box made for the back. I can run 6 people and 2 dogs no problem..
Attachments
war wagon (640x360).jpg
YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:29 am

mitchmc wrote:AR, I would strongly consider the Ranger over the Honda. Polaris were the innovators of the side by sides. here is a picture of my War Wagon. I have no complaints, did put a 2" lift and had a dog box made for the back. I can run 6 people and 2 dogs no problem..

Polaris has been having a lot of trouble out of their engines lately. A buddy at a dealership told me they were having to do warranty claims on new machines right after they build and start them. I went with John Deere. Best machine I've had, and I've had several brands.
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:11 pm

cannon
hunter

Postby cannon » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:47 pm

whisperin' duck wrote:
mitchmc wrote:AR, I would strongly consider the Ranger over the Honda. Polaris were the innovators of the side by sides. here is a picture of my War Wagon. I have no complaints, did put a 2" lift and had a dog box made for the back. I can run 6 people and 2 dogs no problem..

Polaris has been having a lot of trouble out of their engines lately. A buddy at a dealership told me they were having to do warranty claims on new machines right after they build and start them. I went with John Deere. Best machine I've had, and I've had several brands.

Don't recall having any issues with the issues the engine on mine. None. Of course, mine probably doesn't take the abuse of high hours and hard use that you've put on the array of side by sides you've put all those hours on.

By "best machine I've had," do you mean it's withstood more abuse over high hours without mechanical failure, or do you mean it's the brand you're currently running, which makes it superior in your opinion? :)

cannon
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:17 pm

I've punished a lot of side x sides, since Polaris started shipping them to Alaska. No doubt about Polaris setting the standard - Artic Cat not far behind that. I use my buddies Kubota regularly and it's the worst. Anyhow like I said - Honda has finally gotten their act together just in the last year. Polaris $16,000 vs Honda $10,000...
AR Dave
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:45 pm

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG
AR Dave
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Usually get what ya pay for....but nice looking hunt!!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby steve-o » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:43 pm

I'm enjoying seeing all the pictures, guys. just a little jealous.

As for the UTV debate. I think I would go with the pioneer over the ranger, but what do I know. I have a rhino.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:02 am

Birds stopped flying here the last 3 mornings - it went dead. Son watched a bunch flying over yesterday evening. We shot just a few this morning, other hunters didn't see a bird, except on the WMA which is loaded. Guess the birds are just sitting fat and happy. We have started to get some water - Beaver Hut has 6" around it.. Well I'll have to start working tomorrow, so no pics from me for a couple of weeks. :sad:
AR Dave
hunter

Postby cannon » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:06 am

AR Dave wrote:Birds stopped flying here the last 3 mornings - it went dead. Son watched a bunch flying over yesterday evening. We shot just a few this morning, other hunters didn't see a bird, except on the WMA which is loaded. Guess the birds are just sitting fat and happy. We have started to get some water - Beaver Hut has 6" around it.. Well I'll have to start working tomorrow, so no pics from me for a couple of weeks. :sad:

The birds started moving back to the north. We haven't held birds to speak of in over a week . . . Until yesterday afternoon.

Glad you got em while you were in town, bro.
cannon
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:12 pm

same here cannon, they are starting to show up. I imagine with the forecasted temps this week, even the teal should come back strong. planning on getting after um Thursday.
mitchmc
hunter

Postby cannon » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:53 pm

mitchmc wrote:same here cannon, they are starting to show up. I imagine with the forecasted temps this week, even the teal should come back strong. planning on getting after um Thursday.

I hope to start in on em in the morning. Got my fingers crossed.
cannon
hunter

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Had one heck of a mixed bag this Saturday. Found where the greens are hanging out so I'm hopeful for next weekend, unless I come down with that dreaded duck fever and decide to call in sick before then. Hope the birds don't get too confused around my parts before then as well. 60's in December never excites me.
Attachments
image.jpg
UofAduckman1987
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:02 pm

cannon wrote:
mitchmc wrote:same here cannon, they are starting to show up. I imagine with the forecasted temps this week, even the teal should come back strong. planning on getting after um Thursday.

I hope to start in on em in the morning. Got my fingers crossed.[/qu

So how'd it go???
mitchmc
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:28 pm

mitchmc wrote:
cannon wrote:

So how'd it go???

Way slower than I hoped it would. We were looking for 30 and left with 15. Didn't see the full moon coming :(. Birds are here, but they hung out on the roost until after sundown.

cannon
hunter

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:23 am

The moon sure was pretty coming up last night but those birds definitely know how to take advantage of it. It's looking like a pretty overcast, crappy weather weekend for my parts so hopefully those birds will be moving during my regular hours. Do any of you guys like to hunt the rain? I've only done it a couple of times in the past with minimal success.
UofAduckman1987
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:16 am

Keep these kind of reports coming for 2 weeks and I won't feel so bad. Buddy scouted this morning - said didn't see any.

When it's raining, I take my own vehicle cause everyone else wants to leave early. I just love it - seems like real duck weather to me.. Typically I'm the only one that knows how to dress for it. :tongue:
AR Dave
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:23 pm

cannon wrote:
mitchmc wrote:
cannon wrote:

So how'd it go???

Way slower than I hoped it would. We were looking for 30 and left with 15. Didn't see the full moon coming :(. Birds are here, but they hung out on the roost until after sundown.

still slow here too. I didn't getto go but got report from the guys that between the moon and calm winds it was flat this morning. 3 pits got a total of 34. hoping for better times, but looks as if some heavy rain for us Friday and Saturday....we will see.
mitchmc
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:20 pm

My guys picked up 21 between between 5 of em today, but they had to work for em.

cannon
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:59 am

Still dead as Kelsey's nuts round here!!!
mitchmc
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting