Let the Games Begin . . .

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, brassass, whisperin' duck

Re: Let the Games Begin . . .

Postby Humpbackshooter » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:33 pm

At last, I can add to the destruction of the bird pop. 3 limits by 8:30 Monday. (Speck & snow also)
And it makes a differance where one is on the field. We was in a pit in the middle of rice, others were in a pit that splits the 2 fields and only killed 4.
Big differance for Tuesday......1 GH. Birds were not there in the #'s we saw on Monday.
Hump.
Attachments
Hunting 13-14 (75) - Copy.JPG
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:56 pm

good hunt Hump....birds seem to be south of us, I hear they are stackin um up around Wynn and south. did get reports of some large groups of teal 200+. but if we get any rain this weekend(as forecasted) the Cashe will get out up here. that don't help at all....
YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby Humpbackshooter » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Check that. Our farmer came in for breakfast Tuesday and said that he going to drop the fields some so the water don't get in the pits. Hope they are wrong on the rain.
Don't know about the staging of birds, but we did have several flights of teal this pass weekend. (Wynne being northeast of us. We're at 79 &49 ) The limits we shot on Monday had 7 teal in it. Most teal we've seen all yr. ( 3 limits....7 teal,7 spoonies, 2 gads, 1 pintail & 1 GH.)
The spoonies are back in #'s. In the words of "Cannon", we need to put a beat down on them. AND the snow geese.
Hump.
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby cannon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Humpbackshooter wrote:Check that. Our farmer came in for breakfast Tuesday and said that he going to drop the fields some so the water don't get in the pits. Hope they are wrong on the rain.
Don't know about the staging of birds, but we did have several flights of teal this pass weekend. (Wynne being northeast of us. We're at 79 &49 ) The limits we shot on Monday had 7 teal in it. Most teal we've seen all yr. ( 3 limits....7 teal,7 spoonies, 2 gads, 1 pintail & 1 GH.)
The spoonies are back in #'s. In the words of "Cannon", we need to put a beat down on them. AND the snow geese.
Hump.

The ole boot lip beat down . . . nothin quite like it. Glad to hear you're keeping em honest, hump. We stalled out at 14 again today. Full moon is putting a hurt to me.

Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby possumfoot » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:06 am

moon is killing us too... with the warm up, everything left.. tuesday, 10 ducks and 10 specks (limit)
yesterday 4 ducks, 1 speck.. today, had 3 ducks and a speck when i left..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Edge » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:29 am

Any thoughts on the Bennche 700? Almost ready to pull the trigger.
Edge
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:04 am

possumfoot wrote:moon is killing us too... with the warm up, everything left.. tuesday, 10 ducks and 10 specks (limit)

I was demoralized when I saw it Monday morning. The worst part was that I hadn't checked the calendar and didn't see it coming. Dashed hopes and broken dreams.

We picked up a little today. Only 2 of in the blind, but we managed to scratch out a limit that only included 1 shoveler, so it was a modest improvement.

cannon
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:14 am

monday was bad, but we managed a 5 man limit of mallards, but the bonus ducks were few and far between.. i hope the birds come back.. we went from a great roost to nothing.. still plenty of corn, but the ducks are just not here.. the fed refuge close to us has close to 200 acres of corn flooded and i have not seen a single bird in it all season.. been a weird year.. but, when i look back, clear an full moon with above freezing temps is always bad for us.. hope we get a change with the rain, but too much rain and it will not help us at all..

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:02 pm

cannon wrote:
possumfoot wrote:moon is killing us too... with the warm up, everything left.. tuesday, 10 ducks and 10 specks (limit)

I was demoralized when I saw it Monday morning. The worst part was that I hadn't checked the calendar and didn't see it coming. Dashed hopes and broken dreams.

We picked up a little today. Only 2 of in the blind, but we managed to scratch out a limit that only included 1 shoveler, so it was a modest improvement.

Cannon, I'm a little disappointed in your picture taking station, from seeing the rest of your new abode I figured you would have a nice beak rack, table, head hooks or something! I'll give you a deal, let me build you something in exchange for a hunt out there with ya, I'll even let you shoot all the bootlips that come in!
UofAduckman1987
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:23 pm

UofAduckman1987 wrote:
cannon wrote:

Cannon, I'm a little disappointed in your picture taking station, from seeing the rest of your new abode I figured you would have a nice beak rack, table, head hooks or something! I'll give you a deal, let me build you something in exchange for a hunt out there with ya, I'll even let you shoot all the bootlips that come in!

Deal. I ran a bit over-schedule on the carpentry project and have now entered the lethargic "screw it" phase. Doors left un-trimmed, baseboards neglected, and no excellent photo station. I've been too lazy to even spread the birds out so you can see what they are. Aaah, screw it. I'll mess with it in the spring.
cannon
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:05 pm

Cant beat a camo waffle house hat....except maybe dollar general
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mitchmc » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:21 pm

cannon wrote:
UofAduckman1987 wrote:
cannon wrote:

Deal. I ran a bit over-schedule on the carpentry project and have now entered the lethargic "screw it" phase. Doors left un-trimmed, baseboards neglected, and no excellent photo station. I've been too lazy to even spread the birds out so you can see what they are. Aaah, screw it. I'll mess with it in the spring.

I don't blame ya....
mitchmc
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

cannon wrote:
UofAduckman1987 wrote:
cannon wrote:

I know he's got a super sweet sign.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Westtennduckhunter wrote:
cannon wrote:
UofAduckman1987 wrote:
cannon wrote:

I know he's got a super sweet sign.

You bet your sweet bippy I do. Awesome sign, indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cannon
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:00 am

Those signs are something else. I may have to run up the road and help construct a proper sign board. We have a lot of a mallards here. What looks to be 95% mallards. Not sure what this rain is going to do to us.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby possumfoot » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:47 am

ByersFarm wrote:Those signs are something else. I may have to run up the road and help construct a proper sign board. We have a lot of a mallards here. What looks to be 95% mallards. Not sure what this rain is going to do to us.

good to know they did not vanish..

possumfoot
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:33 pm

Full moon finally gave way to dense clouds . . . Back to business as usual.

cannon
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:23 pm

cannon wrote:Full moon finally gave way to dense clouds . . . Back to business as usual.

Nicely done.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby cannon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Thank you, Sir. I trust that you & the boys are thinning the population down south. I'm looking forward to heading down to visit.
cannon
hunter

Postby Humpbackshooter » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:39 pm

:thumbsup: Way to go.
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:10 pm

cannon wrote:Thank you, Sir. I trust that you & the boys are thinning the population down south. I'm looking forward to heading down to visit.

We are trying. We have an effort this morning in the storm and brought home twenty something. I was pleased with that after the rain and light show we had list night. Tomorrow may be an entirely different affair.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby mitchmc » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:32 pm

ByersFarm wrote:
cannon wrote:Thank you, Sir. I trust that you & the boys are thinning the population down south. I'm looking forward to heading down to visit.

We are trying. We have an effort this morning in the storm and brought home twenty something. I was pleased with that after the rain and light show we had list night. Tomorrow may be an entirely different affair.

how much rain did yall get?? we had 2 inches when we got up. no telling how much throughout the day. the Cache is already at 19 ft and the water from the north aint here yet. River is normally around 6 to 8. this may wind it up for us for several weeks.
mitchmc
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:34 pm

cannon wrote:Full moon finally gave way to dense clouds . . . Back to business as usual.

job well done!!!

mitchmc
hunter

Postby cannon » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Yup, this ones gonna hurt us. We started into em this morning, but the lightning ran us out. I expect that I'll lose at least one field to high water. No buena.
cannon
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:20 am

I quit counting the rain here. It's definitely the rain we didn't want to get.

ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting