Let the Games Begin . . .

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

Re: Let the Games Begin . . .

Postby cannon » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:10 am

ByersFarm wrote:I quit counting the rain here. It's definitely the rain we didn't want to get.

Dang skippy! My gauge ran over at 5". After that, it really didn't matter. I have at least 2 blinds that went under. Time to get the pumps back out. :no:

There are a few gents hunting around me this morning, but I don't hear much banging going on. On the good side, I won't be haunted by the urge to hunt em tomorrow morning. Won't be able to access those blinds without a boat until at least tomorrow afternoon, and it'll probably take until Tuesday.

Brother, this has been a rough one.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby mitchmc » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:36 am

we ended up with 6 inches. Rough is right. river is at 19.8ft now hopefully it will level off pretty quick. generators one week for ice eaters and now pumps!! its crazy
YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:57 pm

So far it's been the worst year for weather that I can ever remember. We may have had one pit go under. The rest I was able to get a good bit of water off before hand.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby cannon » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Ha! I could have started draining opening day . . . there is a literal river running across my big blind. I've got one other that's probably 2 feet under. The other is just a couple of inches below the surface.

Between the freezing temps, which started the second day of season, the prevailing north winds, and the great flood of 2013, she's been the most challenging since '09, that's for sure. I've got a LOT of work to do this week. :(

Lets face it, it's got to get better from here. Good times coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cannon
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:24 pm

cannon wrote:
Lets face it, it's got to get better from here. Good times coming.

Loving the positivity!
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Wish AGFC could just put Closed 24th & 25th, instead of Closes 23rd opens 26th. Son just called me trying to make sure he understood it. Birds picking up over here, he & buddy shot 6 Gadwall out of Beaver Hut (finally some water around it). They were excited about the way birds fell in.
Last edited by AR Dave on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:15 pm

river is at 20.01.....record is 21.09. this weather is killin me. there is no consistency anymore. Cache wont crest before Tuesday, hope your right cannon bout the good times but crap, I have my doubts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby cannon » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:00 pm

mitchmc wrote:river is at 20.01.....record is 21.09. this weather is killin me. there is no consistency anymore. Cache wont crest before Tuesday, hope your right cannon bout the good times but crap, I have my doubts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, we're good, bro. I've ridden this horse before. They'll leave, and they'll follow the water down, like always -- but not all of em. Remember, it's later in the season than the calendar would have you to believe. The vast majority of what's headed this way is already south of us. Those that do roll back into town, and they will within a week, will be the dumb ones. They aren't the mass feeders that raft up in a single field. They're the ones that like 6-block decoy spreads and scatter in flocks of 50-600 or 700 across every field that's holding water. It'll take a week or so, but when it resets it'll be time to play ping pong with em. Fear not, brah, the good stuff is coming, so long as it doesn't lock up on us. If we hit the cold snap, all bets are off. If we don't, this'll be one of those stretches of seasons where you kill 3 banded birds in a week. It's coming.
cannon
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:16 pm

cannon wrote:
mitchmc wrote:river is at 20.01.....record is 21.09. this weather is killin me. there is no consistency anymore. Cache wont crest before Tuesday, hope your right cannon bout the good times but crap, I have my doubts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, we're good, bro. I've ridden this horse before. They'll leave, and they'll follow the water down, like always -- but not all of em. Remember, it's later in the season than the calendar would have you to believe. The vast majority of what's headed this way is already south of us. Those that do roll back into town, and they will within a week, will be the dumb ones. They aren't the mass feeders that raft up in a single field. They're the ones that like 6-block decoy spreads and scatter in flocks of 50-600 or 700 across every field that's holding water. It'll take a week or so, but when it resets it'll be time to play ping pong with em. Fear not, brah, the good stuff is coming, so long as it doesn't lock up on us. If we hit the cold snap, all bets are off. If we don't, this'll be one of those stretches of seasons where you kill 3 banded birds in a week. It's coming.

OK, Im with ya till the jumpin off place....let the good times roll!!!!!!!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby Edge » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:33 am

Hope you are right Cannon. I found some new holes in the bottoms that I will be checking on Fri.
Edge
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Seriously - I picked the right 2 weeks to work this year...
AR Dave
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:58 pm

mitchmc - don't take my bait over in the Honey Hole. LOL
AR Dave
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:29 am

I share cannons belief that ducks returning from a flood are dumb ducks. Here's to hoping it finishes out strong.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby greenster » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:09 am

SE ARK is currently sitting at the lowest duck numbers I have ever seen in my life... Literally seen more crows yesterday. It's been low and bad since the 23rd and getting worse everyday.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mitchmc » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:50 pm

ByersFarm wrote:I share cannons belief that ducks returning from a flood are dumb ducks. Here's to hoping it finishes out strong.

well they may be dumb BUT they aint at my spot...hunted the last 4 days, we hammered the specks actually killed more specks than ducks. the good new is it appears the Cashe crested yesterday at 21 and some change. that is less than 1 ft from the all time high. IN the last day and a half it did fall a whapping .30 of an inch. it will take weeks for it to get back in the banks.
mitchmc
hunter

Postby UofAduckman1987 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:20 pm

I've been seeing an increase in mallard numbers here in NWA. Decent population on the lakes, hunted the front Sunday and saw good size groups hitting the acorns where possible. Didn't shoot worth crap but still a good day
UofAduckman1987
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:06 pm

the ole Cache is down to a whopping 19.8 ft. at this rate it will be spring before it gets back to normal. this is horse s*&!...still hammering the specks though.
mitchmc
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:06 pm

IMG_2158.JPG
AR Dave
hunter

Postby AK.airboater » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:26 am

ak dave, that is a cool photo. is that a blind?
AK.airboater
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:30 am

AK.airboater wrote:ak dave, that is a cool photo. is that a blind?

Building a Beaver Hut
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=225919
AR Dave
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:37 am

I am embarrassed - ashamed of myself - I didn't go this morning. The boys (18 yr old's) weren't really sure about it, so I let them talk me into sleeping in. Well I know the shallow water I love to hunt is frozen (15 degs) and I didn't feel like busting ice. I could've went with my hunting partner to one of our pump holes, but I folded. I have 3 weeks of season left - can hardly live with this guilt!
AR Dave
hunter

Postby CrazyDrake » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:02 am

AR Dave that blind looks fantastic! Great, great job! I bet that place is cotton mouth heaven too!
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:27 am

CrazyDrake wrote:AR Dave that blind looks fantastic! Great, great job! I bet that place is cotton mouth heaven too!

Off Season Work
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=231038
Last edited by AR Dave on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby steve-o » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:04 pm

NO snakes allowed in this thread!
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:31 am

6 ducks.jpg
AR Dave
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting