Let the Games Begin . . .

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

Re: Let the Games Begin . . .

Postby mitchmc » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:55 pm

cannon wrote:
AR Dave wrote:So it was a successful season after all! :clapping:

It was a successful day, and there were a decent number of those spread over the last 3 months. It was an extraordinarily messed up season, no matter how you cut it. That said, to the extent I've sounded like a whine bag over the tough hunting this season, it wasn't intended that way. I'm just pretty transparent about our hunting, and the more time you spend down here, the more you're gonna realize that most people aren't. With rare exceptions (and I can think of exactly one such exception), if I post a picture of birds, those birds were harvested in the blind I was personally hunting. Unless someone is leasing a blind for the day, which I RARELY do, we hunt one blind per day, not several.

I enjoy seeing three-day combined piles of birds stacked up that came from 5 blinds. I love pics of dead animals. On the other hand, I don't have a financial stake in making things look better than they are up here, and if I say "we," I mean I was there for it. If I say they, I'm talking about birds someone took in a blind somewhere else. My "club" is equal to the blind I'm hunting on the farm on a particular day. If I have the privilege of hunting with my friend Cason down south, or on the rare occasion that I venture onto public land, those numbers don't go towards that talley. That being said, our season was pretty terrible, but, in perspective, I averaged 4 total hunters in the blind per average day, got skunked twice, and averaged about 15 birds per day of hunting spread across those 4 hunter averages. Problem was, "we" just didn't hunt as much as usual.

I love hunting for the sake of hunting, but I measure success or failure by the number of birds harvested on hunts where I was physically present. I just didn't catch near as many of those hunts this season as I'm used to. I'm typically there to see between 650 and 900 birds die out of the blind I'm hunting on my farm alongside that same average group of 4 hunters. This season, it was exactly 498, which is pretty bad, in my estimation, but legitimate, nonetheless. Thing is, the number of birds harvested per hunt was about where it always is. Number of days in the blind, however, was about 40% less than normal.

I agree.....we don't really look at the total number of ducks (even though we do document them) but we look at the average number of birds per hunter per day. that tells the true story. this year we averaged 3.9 birds per hunter per day..not too bad considering.
Attachments
totals (640x360).jpg
YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:18 pm

cannon wrote:
mitchmc wrote:So here is the first day of youth hunt. We were very blessed and for the weekend ended up with just over 50 birds. By far our best ever. Way to go kiddos!!!!?

Atta boy, Mitch. Love seeing those kids go after em.

Me too Cannon, it is great to see the excitement in there eyes. many of our kids got there first birds this weekend...
Attachments
y13 (360x640).jpg
y11 (360x640).jpg
y3.jpg
y8.jpg
mitchmc
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:21 pm

havin' fun....
Attachments
y2.jpg
mitchmc
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Yessir. That's the good stuff right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Humpbackshooter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:14 pm

Cannon, I agree with ya. God willin and the the creek don't raise, we'll get after them hot and heavy again in about 9 months.
Hump.
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby Humpbackshooter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:25 pm

Did I spell "lounge" wrong?

hump.
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby romeocadet08 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:31 pm

Humpbackshooter wrote:Did I spell "lounge" wrong?

hump.

Was just wondering what the quotations were for?!
romeocadet08
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Imagegot the first speck this youth hunt Imageomine and my buds first day

Sent from the woods
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Previous

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting