Bayou Deview WMA Martin Area

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Postby Gj325 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:52 pm

My first post here. I have been mainly deer hunting for 40 years duck hunting with friends from time to time.
I am at a point where my boys don't deer hunt but would duck hunt. Family owns approx 40 acres that one side borders the WMA Bayou Deview at the Martin Tract just outside Weiner.
The land is farmed in rice and beans. Talked to farmer said there is old blind on land that hasn't been hunted in few years. Says he will flood for me. Will be planted in rice next year. I can buy the property from family at a more than reasonable price. Have I hit a duck hunting lottery for a new hunter. Land is over two hours from my home so will only hunt maybe 10 times per year.

Any thoughts from guys who know this area to what kind if hunts I might expect.

Thanks.
Gj325
hunter
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Re: Bayou Deview WMA Martin Area

Postby grassduck » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:25 pm

That's a great area. A lot of ducks in the area.
grassduck
hunter

Postby Gj325 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:59 pm

grassduck wrote:That's a great area. A lot of ducks in the area.

Thanks already looking forward to next season
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Postby romeocadet08 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:35 pm

Gj325 wrote:

As mentioned, you are in a excellent area!! A lot of private clubs in that area that consistently hold and kill ducks. For instance ..Sitzer's, claypools, O.K. Club, greasy slough, and numerous other privately-owned fields. Not to mention, lake Hogue.

I'm located about 4mi from you as the crow flies!! We are just east of 49

Do you know if you have the ability to keep the fields open dying a freeze, is water guaranteed, etc?
romeocadet08
hunter

Postby Gj325 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:06 pm

romeocadet08 wrote:
Gj325 wrote:

As mentioned, you are in a excellent area!! A lot of private clubs in that area that consistently hold and kill ducks. For instance ..Sitzer's, claypools, O.K. Club, greasy slough, and numerous other privately-owned fields. Not to mention, lake Hogue.

Do you know if you have the ability to keep the fields open dying a freeze, is water guaranteed, etc?

Farmer has told me field will hold water in area of pit during wet year without flooding.
He indicated he would flood for me I am sure that will be a cost. There is a pump in field plus canel between WMA and field. Not sure if you can pump off that. Will meet with him next month. I got indication he would leave rice or beans in field if I was to buy what he left. I am sure that would help no clue to cost. I will find that out but since I will be taking few business people that will make cost easier to swallow
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Postby romeocadet08 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:17 pm

Gj325 wrote:
romeocadet08 wrote:
Gj325 wrote:

Farmer has told me field will hold water in area of pit during wet year without flooding.
He indicated he would flood for me I am sure that will be a cost. There is a pump in field plus canel between WMA and field. Not sure if you can pump off that. Will meet with him next month. I got indication he would leave rice or beans in field if I was to buy what he left. I am sure that would help no clue to cost. I will find that out but since I will be taking few business people that will make cost easier to swallow

He's probably lifting the water out of the catches ditches into your field unless he's pumping off a well.

Either way, it sounds like you are on to something over there!! Most farmers will charge you by the bushel as far as leaving beans/rice in the field ....of course that price constantly fluctuates with market price. That won't quite be determined until time of harvest but you can have a pretty good idea of what the going rate per bushel is.

I can almost guarantee you that you will kill birds in that area if you get that field squared away...

Do you know if it's precision graded?
romeocadet08
hunter

Postby Gj325 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 am

romeocadet08 wrote:
Do you know if it's precision graded?

I don't think so looking at google it appears to have contoured rice levees
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting