Duck Hunting Forum banner

Arkansas Timber Duck Hunting

23K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  BandedMallardrnt 
#1 ·
I've been told that the duck numbers have been way down in recent years, is this true? We're looking to book a duck hunting trip in January and were starting to wonder if we should look elsewhere?

Thanks,

Duckincrazy

G
#2 ·
More birds are short stopping in the flyway, and the traditional areas aren't getting the amount of ducks they're used to.

I think the ducks are catching on down there. The duck hunting is good, but the pressure is high and there just isn't as many ducks to go around.

Overall I think the duck numbers are lower than the USFWS predicts, but thats a whole nother story. :roll:

G
#3 ·
AS WE ALL KNOW DUCK NUMBERS DO VARY EACH YEAR. HOWEVER I WOULD AGREE THAT NUMBERS HAVE BEEN WAY DOWN THE LAST FEW YEARS. I TOO BELIEVE THE NUMBERS ARE FAR BELOW THE ESTIMATES GIVEN BY THE PROS EACH YEAR.

WEATHER ALSO IS TO BLAME FOR LOW NUMBERS IN THE SOUTHERN REGIONS SOME BELIEVE. WITHOUT A FREEZE UP IN THE THE NORTHERN REGIONS THE BIRDS JUST WONT COME DOWN.

LAST YEAR THERE WERE VERY GOOD REPORTS AROUND THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AREA OF OUR STATE (LA). FROM THE MONROE AREA AND ALONG THE RIVER. WESTERN LA WAS LOWER THAN AVERAGE. SOUTH LA HAD SOME GOOD SPOTS, BUT WAS ALSO BELOW AVERAGE.

SOUTHWEST ARKANSAS WAS VERY GOOD THE FIRST PART OF THE SEASON THEN DRYED UP TOWARDS THE END.

IF THE NUMBERS ARE UP THIS YEAR EVERYONE SHOULD DO ALOT BETTER AND HAVE A GOOD SEASON.

REMEMBER...............PUT AWAY THOSE HEAVY 2'S AND 3'S AND SMOKE EM WITH 6'S....THATS ALL YOU NEED. TRY THE 3INCH 6'S FOR GREAT SUCCESS OVER THE DECOYS..................GOOD LUCK

#5 ·
As of right now the hunting here in Arkansas has been terrible all around. I've got some friends who live in Stuttgart and they had a great first 3 weeks but now it has tapered off and a limit of anything is hard to come by. North of Stuttgart I'm not so sure of but from there down to the state line were I live the duck hunting is poor, very poor. We need rain, we've got the weather we just need some rain.

#6 ·
I think you should look to Northeast Arkansas for your duck hunt. Stay west of Crowley's Ridge from Fair Oaks north to Clay County. I personally had a great season in the Weiner area and many of the local guides did as well. We are in a bottleneck between the L'Anguille and Cache Rivers with Claypool as a big provider of our waterfowl. Most of the ducks we killed were Mallards and Gadwalls. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
My dad and I have hunted ducks for several years in the St. Charles area and it has been slow in so much as the number of ducks we have killed. However, we keep score by the number of times that we get to hunt in such an incredible enviornment not by the number of ducks we kill. The residents and guides are good people. They live and breath duck hunting like we do. I guess I can honestly say I have never had a bad hunt in Arkansas, regardless of how many birds we kill.

#8 ·
DanT said:
My dad and I have hunted ducks for several years in the St. Charles area and it has been slow in so much as the number of ducks we have killed. However, we keep score by the number of times that we get to hunt in such an incredible enviornment not by the number of ducks we kill. The residents and guides are good people. They live and breath duck hunting like we do. I guess I can honestly say I have never had a bad hunt in Arkansas, regardless of how many birds we kill.
Im with you ,any time spent hunting with friends and family is a good hunt.Also you have to go to where the ducks are,you cant call them in if they are not around. :salude:

#9 ·
I hunted at the Bond Farm in Cherry Valley it was on of the best hunts

We killed are mallard limit pintail limit and we killed a few redheads

The Guy who i went with farms it so we went for free

We hunted in a blind located in the Timber Part but me and 2 of the people hunting with me went to the Buck Brush and killed 3 redheads

They have 2600 acres of rice and corn feilds

The ducks live their in the off season is what the guide told us

Arkansas is great duck hunting we have timber hunting and open feild hunting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.