wood duck limit?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, duckman2000

wood duck limit?

Postby Powerstroke » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:18 pm

this may be a dumb question :withstupid: but yesterday morning i jumped a total of 8 woodies, i shot one in the first group of 3 and then on the way to the next pond i read through the regs to see what the limit was and couldnt find a answer..do they fall under the 5 mallard limit?
Hunters make better lovers...they go deep into the bush...shoot many times....and eat what they shoot!!!
Powerstroke
hunter

Postby stalns » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:35 pm

I have never read about a restriction of take on them in the regs. My bet is on 7. :thumbsup:
Shoot Straight!!!

Gary Stalions
stalns
hunter

Postby puddlehunter » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:44 pm

7 woodrow's are ok. however try to pass on em'!
puddlehunter
puddlehunter
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:10 pm

Isn't it 7 of any duck, unless otherwise stated? ie... 5 mallards (one hen), one pintail either sex, etc... So you can shoot 7 teal, or 7 spoonies, or 7 gadwall, or 7 widgeon, or 7 woodies, or any variation of 7 as long as you don't exceed the "otherwise stated specific species limits"? That's my understanding. Anyone know otherwise??
Mattquack
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:10 pm

puddlehunter wrote:7 woodrow's are ok. however try to pass on em'!
puddlehunter

I agree 100%! I still have not shot my drake and would like to shoot one. Last Christmas me and my pops were hunting together and I shot a hen wood duck thinking it was a teal. They (hen and drake) responded to the mallard call as a mallard would have--something I have never seen with woodies! Also, we were in a rice field and I had no idea they went out to the rice fields....

Anyhoo...enough BSing from me......as Puddle hunter said, try and passem'!

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby #1wingnut » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:45 pm

Yep 7 woodies :thumbsup:

I went to sutter on sat and have never seen so many woodies on a refuge. We ended up taking 2 a hen and a drake. my boy took the hen (his 2nd duck) :mrgreen:
I would not be surprized if woodies are the #1 duck there on Sat

I spent the slow years huntin woodies on the creek out back.
I remember it being about the only game on town. I try not to take them much any more. Definately the prettiest bird we have. I have a pair in the deep freezer I've been wanting to take to the taxidermist.
As for woodies in the rice; both the woodies on sat had full gullets of rice.
The woodies on the creek always has acorns in there gullets

Dan
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby Russell » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:44 pm

You can whack 7 woodies....enough to put a small dent in a potentially small local population...if thats the case. I agree wholehardedly with puddleduckhunters's idealism there.

But.....we can only whack ONE pintail, which is ridiculous. :help:
Russell
hunter

Postby puddlehunter » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:32 pm

my thoughts on woodie are that on certain refuges their quite a few of them however if they get hit hard they just do not recover!
They are local birds that have been helped to get to the numbers their at now, so if you want to shoot them instead of waiting for a fat mallard then I say take'em however when the call goes out to helped build woodie boxes and install them or to put up coon lids to keep those critter at bay will you be their?
I helped at dry creek.howard slough,sac!
JUST THINK ABOUT IT.........
I try never to take a hen anything! and the mistake spoonie.....maybe my 1st year! :umm:
puddlehunter
puddlehunter
hunter

Postby Powerstroke » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:37 pm

well i was jump shooting some ponds and the woodies were all that were around...i only got one and i will try and let them pass...until im ready to have one mounted then ill get one again...thanks for your imput on this...i totally respect what has been said about letting them pass for thier numbers....but im confused if there #'s arent the best why is there no reg for them?
Hunters make better lovers...they go deep into the bush...shoot many times....and eat what they shoot!!!
Powerstroke
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting