Poor Woody?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Poor Woody?

Postby #1wingnut » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:09 pm

It seems everyone has a special soft spot for the wood duck.
everyone was of the mind to pass on taking woody afew threads back. until one looks at the results of the refuges over the weekend :eek:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov///shoot/05week3.html

Total of 214 woodies taken on the refuges.
as I thought: wood ducks were the #2 bird both Sat and Sun at Sutter and LDC and the #2 at howard slough on sun.
it seams that east side of the buttes is loaded with em. I noticed loads
of them here at home also in my last couple of weeks of scouting.

Just curios why some guys on here would have no problem taking 4 cacklers but would not take 7 woodies?
After seeing these numbers and the number of birds I saw at sutter over the weekend I think I'll start chasin them again. :thumbsup:

And yes I have put up boxes. and mallard nest also so I wont feel bad at all about taken some. :yes:
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby Russell » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:44 pm

It's all opinion Dan but in my case it's the broad scope of things:

Woodies are fewer in numbers and much more vulnerable to the gun.

Cacklers-Aluts have rebounded nicely from their historic lows and the nesting grounds hold promise for a long time. Alaskan natives no longer collect eggs and the birds are coming back at such a magnitude that Humbolt County farmers are dealing with crop depradation issues. Plus, geese wise up quicky and it's gonna be tough for most hunters to kill 4 a day....consistently at least.

Woodies are a local bird comepletely dependent upon the amount of nest boxes or woodland-water habitat around...and their ain't a whole lotta that left in California. There are scattered large groups (as you know) of them in certain areas that might be able to replenish themselves after a few 7 limit poundings.....but prolly not many.
Russell
hunter

Postby puddlehunter » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:19 pm

How many "Sub- Speices"(sp?) of Wood Ducks are their?
Canada have like 13!
Alutian's do not winter in Ca any more! (Mostly Central OREGON)! SAVE THE WOODY...................EAT A GADWALL....UCK!
Puddlehunter
puddlehunter
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:32 pm

Still after seeing all those birds I dont think we are in any danger
of putting him (woody) out of business

Oh ya they taste great too :mrgreen:
I wont pass them up like I used to. At least the drakes
I try and always pass on hens "any hen"
Dan
#1wingnut
Super Moderator