Hello!

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Hello!

Postby recker » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:37 pm

I have talked to a few of you so I think I should introduce myself. I live in minneapolis at the moment. I will actually be hunting in south dakota starting on friday for a week. That will be a great hunt as usual.Not much pressure and ducks all over the place. Minnesota has really gone downhill and is hardly worth hunting anymore. All the wetlands have been drained or are now minnow ponds for bait dealers.The habitat is in very bad shape at this point. Anyway my parents now live in tucson and my sister is in san diego. I am planning to move in the next year to california, probably san diego. I just love the west coast and the ocean.Tupac which I am sure some of you have heard of on the colorado river in arizona seems to produce quite well.I am going to try it this january.California will certainly be a change trying to draw a blind verses just driving three hours and having a slough to myself. However, I think managed hunting seems to produce better then what is going on here right now.I can have a spot to myself but look at empty skies.The number one factor for ducks is having food in a wetland and it is just not in this state anymore.
recker
hunter

Postby puddlehunter » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:42 pm

welcome for when you move out here in Ca!
California has the best combat duck hunting refuges you will ever experance. if you can kick ***...and your dog can kick *** and you can call better shoot higher,....its great and would not change it or give it up for nothing!
puddlehunter
puddlehunter
hunter

Postby duckassasin » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:04 pm

you don't have to draw a spot everywhere. I never have and don't hunt private property. It's called a boat in the bay area.
duckassasin
hunter

Postby stalns » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:48 pm

Recker,
Good to hear from you. I've posted my experience in hunting both private and public in the "Worst luck ever" thread. Doesn't sound good for the Minnesota habitat outlook. It is staggering to know how much habitat California has lost. But like you said, at least we are starting to realize how important management can be. Also as you may know, DU and Calif. waterfowl play an important role with the habitat management. But one of the reasons (in one of my theories :) that we have good hunting is that the private clubs make up some 75% of the wetlands. It takes more than just what our gov't is doing.

Looking forward to having you in our state next year. :thumbsup:
Shoot Straight!!!

Gary Stalions
stalns
hunter

Postby po' refugee » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:50 pm

Welcome recker,
Man, if you're lookin for ducks don't move to SoCal, no birds down there and the traffic's horrible :yes: If you want birds move to the Sac Valley!! Seriously man, early welcome to CA! 36 million other people like it, so it must be alright. As far as the refuges go I would definitely try some low pressure afternoon shoots so you can learn the layout, ponds, and system. Don't let your first one be in the morning...intense...very intense.
po' refugee
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:34 pm

:welcome:

Will you be joining us regularily here in the CA boards now?

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby WCWN » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:31 pm

Good luck hunting in SD. Sorry to hear about the home town hunting. Look forward to hunting in Cal. I agree with po refugee more duck hunting opportunities in nor-cal. :welcome:
WCWN
hunter

Postby Duckbud » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:50 pm

puddlehunter wrote:welcome for when you move out here in Ca!
California has the best combat duck hunting refuges you will ever experance. if you can kick ***...and your dog can kick *** and you can call better shoot higher,....its great and would not change it or give it up for nothing!
puddlehunter

In my opinion, this kind of attitude gives the refs a bad name & it's one of the reasons why I went back to my old club. I hunted the refs for 31 years & during that time I never had the desire to kick ***, have my dog kick ***, shoot higher.....etc. To me, duck hunting is the Sport of Kings, & should not be conducted like the WWF. I'm out there to have a good time & refuse to deal with some a$$hole mooching off my spread, shooting high, etc. Take away those magical spinning decoys and half the guys out there wouldn't know what to do. Yes, the refs can be a great place to hunt, but it's this kind of mentality that's messing it up.

Go check out a post on Refuge Forums.com called "Ethics: a thing of the past for the new generation of Mallard "Hunters"?" Sheds a little light on this subject. So there ya have it. Make sure you put on your Kevlar & boxing gloves; it's intense out there - very intense. :thumbsup:
Duckbud
hunter

Postby tstrong » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:46 pm

It's not that bad guys. You just need to plan ahead and scout - keep your options open. I went to Mendota on Weds and got a couple of birds. Not too many people - the place is really overgrown. You can't walk most of the dikes but there is water everwhere. Awesome for this early in the season.
tstrong
hunter

ca

Postby recker » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:01 am

Yes I will be on here from now on. Just returned from south dakota from a three day hunt. Will be going back on wendsday for four more days. They limit you to a ten day hunting license. Lots of grey ducks (gadwalls) in the area. Pretty easy limits each day. This was on private land through farmers we have gotten to know. The public land is getting crowded as the word of the hunting is out. Not many mallards yet though with the warm weather. It was 62 degrees on sunday. I guess it will be 67 on wendsday when we return but windy.
recker
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting