Snow Goose numbers?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Snow Goose numbers?

Postby PinTeal » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:21 pm

Spoony, on the snow migration forum, mentioned he saw some flocks of snow geese. Anyone else seeing any snows yet? I know it is a little bit early...but I am getting the fever! This weekend I am going to paint up all my sillosocks and hopefully get them all put together.

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Hey I saw some

Postby winchester of tracy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:13 pm

I hunted the rd 68 area and saw a few not many but a few I could probably count them to be under 50... :smile:
QUACK KILLS
winchester of tracy
hunter

Postby g.luns » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:48 pm

We shot four on opening weekend, near delavan. Could of killed many apecks however we are in the closed zone. Didn't go out this last weekend. G-
g.luns
hunter

Postby buriani » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:28 pm

Sac had several small clouds of snows. Won't be long now as this next storm will probably open the flood gates.
Of the people, By the people and For the people
buriani
hunter

Postby Spoony » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:41 pm

Yeah, opening sunday I saw a few clouds of snows in the closed zone @ delevan. I started to pick up my decoys about 5 minutes before shooting time was over, Sure enough, a flock flew over at about 60 yards...Doh! :pissed: lots of people say they don't shoot snows...But I sure do...when and if I ever get the chance. :thumbsup:
Spoony
hunter

Postby Spoony » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:47 pm

Pinteal, do you drive a red (Dodge)? with a camper on it??? and if you do were you hunting Colusa this past Saturday??? I saw a truck with a pin teal lic. Plate and was wondering if that is you??? my buddy and I did not even pull our triggers. The worst duck hunting ever! Saw three ducks... that is it We went home at 2 pm tooooo slow! Can't wait for it to pick up!
Spoony
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:26 am

Spoony wrote:Pinteal, do you drive a red (Dodge)? with a camper on it??? and if you do were you hunting Colusa this past Saturday??? I saw a truck with a pin teal lic. Plate and was wondering if that is you??? my buddy and I did not even pull our triggers. The worst duck hunting ever! Saw three ducks... that is it We went home at 2 pm tooooo slow! Can't wait for it to pick up!

Not I spooner....not I.... :(

Where do you hunt snows?

Buriani: What storm is this you speak of?

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby worknem » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:17 pm

Jeff. Came thru Willows today after the wife's off-roading. Took the Sac tour route. Rudy's estimate of small clouds on the Snows about right. I'd estimate 5 to 10K. Maybe conservative on this.

Try explaining to your wife why we hunters are only allowed 1 sprig while she's looking at 150K (or more) in 1 place and laughing her tail off. :help:

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:33 pm

Rel, Rudy:
Why are the snow geese here so early in California...yet I read from NoDakOutdoors they are not really there yet? I figured we'd (our flyway) have a much milder winter than they would?

Also, what do they typically estimate our numbers to be in the prime time?

Lastly...When exactly is, "the prime time?" I always thought it to be thanksgiving/december...maybe I am wrong...

Thanks guys!

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby worknem » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:31 pm

Hey there Jeff. My own reference for arrival time approximate for the first of the Snows has always been Halloween. You are right on about prime time for the carp. Used to be tradition with my bunch when I was a kid to go up and do the sweat lines at Sac and Delevan on the Friday afetr Thanksgiving. They usually had arrived sometime during that week. From then on out, depending on weather and which side of the Valley the biggest portion of the Snows were using, I'd consider prime time. :salude:

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:49 pm

And...do you know what the estimated number of 'carp' ;) we get here is?

I know I have seen hundreds of thousands grinding multiple fields..

Thanks agian,
Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby worknem » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:33 pm

PinTeal wrote:And...do you know what the estimated number of 'carp' ;) we get here is?

I know I have seen hundreds of thousands grinding multiple fields..

Thanks agian,
Jeff Given

Jeff. Are you asking take or peak number avg in the state each year?
If it's total numbers I've seen the fly guys surveys as high as 2M at times.
It may go higher, I'm not sure.

Rudy or another of the long timers may remember different but it seems to me the avg size of the Greaters was a lot bigger than now days. It may just be me trying to make history better for myself. LOL!

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby puddlehunter » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:40 pm

I hate the grain field maggots!
caloria,botchism(sp?)
I seen 30/40k set down on a flooded check and 2 hours later when they left their must have been 60/70 dead geese floating! wish there were less numbers.
just my thoughts
puddlehunter
puddlehunter
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting