Big Lake Duck Club, Prinston ?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Big Lake Duck Club, Prinston ?

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:30 pm

When I was a young teenage hunter, my dad would take me up to Willows, near Prinston, to the duck "Meca" of Lambertville. The name of the club was " Big Lake Gun Club"; with about 15 members. The area had a north sprig pond, water/tules in the center; big water south & Goose fiels on the west. What a layout!! It had a game reserve on its N/W and the Butte city rice fields in the S/E. The only way to fly!

Not knowing anybetter I sold my membership out of highschool.
After 40 years , does anyone know if it still there... Thanks...
Last edited by Sagebrush on Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:25 am

I don't know the answer to your question but the first couple of years I hunted my buddy leased blinds and rented a duck shack in Lambertville, a.k.a. "Duck City".

Good times and memories.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Duckbud » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:29 am

Sage, you should've hung onto that membership. I have a blind right now in Lambertville (aka Willow Creek Duck Clubs). So far, our first few shoots out there have been OK & it looks to be a good season for us. I do believe "Big Lake Gun Club" is still there; I know I've seen their sign hanging. Yes, Lambertville does seem like "Duck City", & that's what attracted me to the area about 10 years ago. Had a little duck shack there(and I do mean little) for about five years until the club owner sold it. Now I have the trailer back in Princeton and the setup seems pretty sweet. Most of all, it's STRESS FREE hunting - I can do everything at my own pace. Lambertville's a nice area & I've had alot of great shoots out there. Don't think I'll ever give it up. :thumbsup:
Duckbud
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:20 am

There is more than ducks in Lambertville. When my brother & I were teens, we walked (north ?) to the old red farm. It had 2 ponds, that were full of BASS ,catfish & big ol frogs. I mean 14-16" bass !! 24" cats !! 16" Bull frogs;2" between theie eye's!! I KNOW that is private property by now !!
Ducks,geese,frogs,ringnecks...those were the days......
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Duckbud » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:31 am

I know the place & I believe it's the Gordon Ranch. One of the ponds is still there. I know there has to be bass & catfish in it & it does have it's share of bull frogs. However, the pond is so choked out with lilly pads right now it's pretty much unfishable. :thumbsdown: This didn't happen until about five years ago. Ducks will use it from time to time. Seen woodies on it many times. Yes, Lambertville does have alot of history to it. :smile:

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back it's yours, if it doesn't, then hunt it down & kill it.
Duckbud
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:33 pm

Duckbud; thanks for all the info on the 'ol hood". Yea those were some good old days. Sorry to here you guys talkn about Calif & the huntn nowadays. Seems like a lot of hunters & no place to go. It is pretty bad when you have to draw tickets or stay in line to hunt ! Any one that is young & has the $$ should invest in a membership or club, or it will be all over in 20 years.... Good luck to you ; Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby ButteCity » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:19 pm

Sagebrush -

You may be talking about BIG LAKE DUCK CLUB a.k.a. GOOD FELLOWS DUCK CLUB. Members included Fred Fellows, Joe Cirino, Emil Appelman, Art Harris. Club is still around. Has 8 members. Last membership sold for $100K, I heard. My dad was a member; he sold his membership 10 yrs ago for $28K.
$100K for spoonies and teal is pretty big jack.
ButteCity
Newb

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:41 pm

100K for shovler & teal? Sounds like the hunting has changed a lot!

The north ponds with cheatgrass were for sprig, the middle tule area for mallards etc. the large open water in the south for everything & the west fields for geese. Did someone change the layout? Or did the number of birds decreese in the flights nowadays? Sorry to hear the the big birds are not the draw now.......
Only 8 members?
Blinds 1,2 3a,4,5,6 , sprig & goose tanks.
3-5 were double blinds.......(11 people with a blind)
The best blinds being #4 & 5 , back in the old days...
A lot of change can happen in 40 years.
Hope the hunting gets better out there in Calif for the two of you.
Good luck....Ed
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Duckbud » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:13 pm

My two-man hole at Lambertville is at $2500 for the season. My partners & guests have only hunted it about 10 days for 38 birds. Not bad considering that most of those were bluebird days. Mixed bag all across the board. My brother & I shot 10 birds in last Thursday's wind. Can't wait until we get some weather out there. Shoots well in south wind & fog. I'm doing just as good as I was 10 years ago out there. :smile:
Duckbud
hunter

Birds

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:29 am

Sounds like you guys are having a pretty good year!

This year I have hunted in bluebird,snow,rain,wind,1/2" thick ice & a 1st time ever..thunder & lightning!!! I wanted to leave but was affraid to stand up!! Had to field strip the gun that day! ! Every thing but fog.

My year has been pretty good so far...60 plus birds and counting.
The one spot I go that charges a fee, is only $10 a day.

GAS..that is the killer....but I am just glad its only $20 . CHEAP for a couple hours of FUN & thrills ! Later Sage
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting