California Duck Hunting

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

California Duck Hunting

Postby Duckmeat » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:53 pm

Hello everyone. Im new to the sight and to say the least im impressed as hell. I just arrived in California from Montana. Im active duty Air Force and was wandering if there are any good public hunting areas around Yuba City. Ive asked a few farmers for permission to use their fields and had the door slammed in my face. Not sure why but they are dead set against it. I know in Montana i had to shoot geese and ducks in self defense cuz there were so many of them. Im hopin this will be a similar experience. My co-worker and i live, breath, and eat waterfowl hunting so we are looking to get started ASAP. Any pointers you could provide would be appreciated. Anyone willing to get together and drop some waterfowl, i have a dog and will travel. (hes 11 now but he still has the heart and energy). Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Paul
Duckmeat
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:14 pm

Duckmeat,
Let me start by saying welcome to the forum and to california :welcome:

Then let me tell you, you are in the HART of the california duck country
there are several of our best refuges right near you. and dont give up on asking farmers. it might help if you asked in your uniform :yes:
you might find a farmer with a soft spot for the inlisted.

I've been doing a lot of work out at Beale on the Global Hawk project.
I've been working on the hangers.
Anyway you can get the base commander to let us shoot that pond
by the wheatland gate. :toofunny: I see a ton of Honkers out there.
I know there are other ponds out there that would be great. I just have not had the guts to bring my shotgun to work, that might be a little DANGEROUS :mrgreen:

anyway if you are going to be around for a while check out the refuges
Sutter & Little Dry Creek are you closest prolly less than 30 min. from the base but there are others that are less than 1 hour away.

My hats off to you and all the service men and women out there protecting our freedom. :thumbsup:

Ps: keep asking, I know somone will let you on
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby Spoony » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:26 pm

Drive to interstate 5 side and try Delevan, Sacramento NWLR, or Colusa. they are all top notch public areas. on the highway 99 side you got Grey Lodge which shoots poor, but dose have its moments. South of Greylodge is Sutter WLR. It is a good refuge as well. I am always looking for a hunting partener myself! put in some rservation cards wich you can get at your local sporting good store. I have reservations put out for all over the Sacramento valley. Only got drawn twice so far. Also if you don't want to put in for reservations, you can arrive at some of these refuged the evening before and get a lotto # and get in that way. Most refuges allow in about 2 hours before shooting time, Resi's first, then lotto #'s, then sweat liners last. Let me know if you are interested. I know most of theses refuges well, and I have a plethera of decoys and a duck dog as well!
Spoony
hunter

Postby worknem » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:46 pm

Welcome to the state and the forum Meat .

Dan's got it nailed I'm pretty sure, he just don't know it. Check with Rec Services and see if they've still got a Rod and Gun Club. I know up until about 5 years ago as active duty you would have access to some of the best Long Neck stuff around. I lost my contact there back then and haven't heard of any changes. They may not do it anymore. The dump was supposedly some prime time. Worth checking out.

The other suggestions are darn good advice, but you are prolly gonna find most farmers on the Valley floor in your parts are tied up in leases, or have been burnt really bad by hunters before. Another big issue most of the time nowdays is that nasty word, liability. Scares em to death. You might look to the foothills, for some reason they seem looser up there.

Good luck and welcome once again. Let us know how it goes.

What's your AFSC? Shoot, I don't even know if that's what they call it anymore. LOL!

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby tstrong » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:30 pm

Welcome - your sitting on the the duck factory in California.
tstrong
hunter

Postby Duckmeat » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:38 pm

Hey Wingnut,

Thanks for replying. If you are willing to hunt the base let me know. I know where that Global Hawk hangar is being built. I could stop by and meet you sometime. I hunted 4 ponds on base this morning and dragged in a mallard and a canadian. I can set you up with a 30 minute safety briefing and and a small fee of 10 dollars and youll have access to every pond out here. You would more than likely have to be my guest but im out there all the time anyhow. :toofunny: I have decoys, and dog and will travel. Not a whole lot of birds flying at this time but from what i hear we got some honey holes when the rain comes. Let me know wingnut, my email on base is paul.curry@beale.af.mil and home is pcurry18@comcast.net Im always looking for hunting partners. Thanks to all for replying. i will try the uniform trick and see what happens. My fiance wheres combat boots too so maybe ill have her do it and add some sex appeal to the situation. :tounge: laterz

Paul Curry
Duckmeat
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:01 pm

Paul,
You betcha. I'm all over that. 30 min is nothing we do a 4 hour safty class
at the start of each job and 30 min a week.
I'll shoot you a email

Dan
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby BIGDUCKDAN » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:08 pm

duckmeat. you bet there are some great honey holes on beal. late in the season you will spank them. tho i dont know the water situation out there
there days. theres also great fishing on those ponds :thumbsup:
BDD
BIGDUCKDAN
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting