Lower Klamath questions

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Lower Klamath questions

Postby duckschwab » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:57 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the site and I'm happy to have stumbled across a forum with a bunch of guys as passionate about duck hunting as I am. I've hunted the refuges in the Sac and San Joaquin valley for about 20 years now, however I've never hunted the Klamath/Tule Lake area. I'm planning on heading up there next week with a buddy for the first time and was wondering if anyone could help me out with some general questions.

We are mostly geared up for ducks. Would you recommend boat or walk in? I'd rather leave the boat at home this trip, but I'd hate to get up there and realize it is necessary. Do the boat asscessible areas have shallow water in the middle? Would we be able to get out and walk around or are you pretty much stuck in the boat? What is the hunting presure like up there? I know it is a huge area so I'm hoping it's not the same shooting gallery that some of the valley refuges can be. Can anyone recommend a decent motel in the Klamath Falls area that takes dogs?

Thanks for any information. I look forward to contributing to the forum in the future. Happy hunting!

Greg
duckschwab
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:37 pm

Welcome! This is a nice little forum with some great guys. I hunt klamath as much as I can and have been hunting it for several years. It is by far the best refuge in the state! I love it up there!

Now on to your questions. First what kind of boat do you have? That will determine a lot. There are several different units up there and depending on your boat setup you can hunt em. The klamath side has a general fairly hard bottom that you can walk in the water. Most of the units are not foot accessable because most units have a channel that runs around the entire units. I can't really help you with foot access areas other than geese. Maybe someone else on here can. I always take the boat. It opens up the entire refuge for us to hunt.

Most of the units are shallow in the middle. the main lake at tule is pretty much a muck lake. I wouldn't recommend taking a step out in that lake unless you are in the tules. Be careful! A good dog is a must on tule lake and it will beat them up. There are some other areas on Tule that you can look to called Frey's island. The hunting might be really good next week because we are going to get some cold weather and you could be breaking ice! breaking ice on Tule/Klamath usually equals a good shoot. Atleast for me.

Hunting pressure is never really an issue other than opening weekend. I have never had a problem. Right now it is mostly locals and a couple die hards like yourself and I.

Scouting is the key to good hunts up there. Try to get there and drive the property with a good pair of Binos. Watch where the birds are going the night before and setup there the next day. Simple! :toofunny: If you have a handheld GPS take it. Its nice to mark your spots for the future. I might be able to help you out with a couple cordinates that usually kill birds.

As for hotels, we always stay in klamath falls at the hotel 6. Its a 15-20 minute drive to klamath. Rooms are clean and they allow dogs. Plenty of room for a boat in the back and a duck cleaning station.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to anwser them.
hunt Chessies
hunter

klamath/

Postby goosecaller dude » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:12 pm

Hi I hunt lower klamath and tule on a regular basis, the hunting is better in the begining of the season or over turkey weekend, I am 1 1/2 hrs away and I am going over there in the morning,right now we are getting cold if they don't close the mountain, due to snow, I will get there. I hope :thumbsup:
If you have a boat take it you don't have to put it in the water, you can hunt from your boat. just park it in the tules and you will be fine, my spot has like a flat spot in the middle that I made,I drive into them.I wont have my boat this weekend motor died so I am walking in. the walk in areas are limited. the best walk-in area is to the west and south of intersection "A". its about 1/2 to 3/4 mile walk but find a small pond and set up the mallards like that area. if you have a boat you can get into units 4c...7a...9a all have birds usally working them, 4c or any 4 unit is motorless or trolling until December then you need a motor to bust the ice. the pressure is non, there is a fee to hunt there,make sure you pay the feds will bust you. if you like to hunt honkers its a whole nother ball game.
the best motel is motel 6 in k.falls $45-60 will allow dogs, almost all will now. 25 minitue or so drive to refuge depends on weather,make sure you have a 4x4 also roads can get bad,ice, snow and or mud. The sac valley is probably better then up here more birds down there.
goosecaller dude
hunter

Postby duckschwab » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:04 pm

Thanks for the info guys! I think that is enough to get us started. Thanks for the offer of the GPS coordinates, but I think we'll stumble around and do a little exploring. That's half the fun, right? Hopefully it's not a complete ice block by the time we get up there. My buddy is adamant about taking his canoe up there, I'd rather have something a little sturdier. Are we pretty much taking our lives into our own hands with the canoe???
duckschwab
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:41 pm

is the boat the canoe??? If so you could hunt the motorless unit before dec 1 but I wouldn't take it anywhere with other powered boats. If you have a flat bottom or something you might be better off.
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby duckschwab » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:16 pm

We have a 12 foot aluminum with a 25 HP motor too, but it's not a flat bottom. I'm voting for that one anyway. We've used the canoe for shooting small resevoirs, but I don't think we'll get very far if we have to break ice. It's definetely going to be an adventure.
duckschwab
hunter

Postby Roy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:23 pm

be sure to call ahead first to see if its frozen over first. made the mistake once and saw lots of ice and very few birds.
Roy
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting