Tail wag

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Tail wag

Postby #1wingnut » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:18 pm

what do you ricers do with your dog on the rice check for camo?

Sam is a chocolate lab and I put a vest on him so he blends in pretty good
but he is so intune with me that he knows when I'm aticipating birds
and he starts that tail wagging. I know its not good. I'm sure he flared a honker tonight just before stop time :pissed: this thing was locked up
with wing tips down and feet out when Sam turned on tail.
the bird was about 45 or 50 yards out. i gota do something.
I never had to worry about it at the refuge or in the boat always in the tules hiding.
I've been thinking about making some type of kennel from chicken wire and covering it in rice straw. open at both ends.
what do you guys do for your dogs?
Dan
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:52 pm

a field blind/kennel would be good. I don't hunt rice that often, but my friend who owns a club put his dog down the check about 25 yrds. This takes a well trained dog to do this though. It won't stop the tail wag, but it puts the dog out of the focus of the blind and the center of the dekes.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby dukaddict » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:42 pm

I couldn`t get Jake to lay down because the ground was frozen so I took the liner out of my coat to give him something warm and dry to lay on. All I got was a linerless coat and a dog that still wouldn`t stay down no matter what I did so I cut some sage and stuck it in the ground around him.
We got our ducks and a honker apiece :thumbsup:

I saw a pop out doggy blind on tv, kinda like a "pup" tent I`m thinking of getting. It folds down like the folding truck windshield suncovers and pops into a small tent for the dog to climb in when there`s nowhere for him to hide, like where I hunted yesterday, there is really nowhere for a dog where I wanted to hide so as much as I hated doing it he stayed home.It`s a shallow pond so retrieving was no problem and he didn`t have to freeze his tail off.
I showed him the birds when I got home and boy was he pissed but sometimes he just does me more harm than good.
It`s something to consider (leaving him at home),I hate hunting w/out my best blind buddy but I`m sure he understood matter of fact I`m pretty sure he`s already forgiven me.
Maybe you could dig a shallow pit for Sam and brush it up it might be tough now with it flooded,the chicken wire thing is a good idea.
dukaddict
hunter

Tail Wag

Postby WCWN » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:25 am

Lewis wears a vest most of the time and has a wooden bench up off the ground with a pad to lay on about 5 yards away from the blind. Here he is sitting on it.[img][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=348577&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/348577.jpg[/img][/url][/img]
We keep him away from the blind to protect his ears from the sound and the posibility of getting shot if he was to break early.
WCWN
hunter

Postby Roy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:14 pm

We can't read their minds, but I don't think they worry too much about the dog. as long as it isn't barking or jumping around, I'm not sure they see it as a threat. I've had birds come straight in with the dog out retreiving almost next to it. It seems to me that unless the movement has them focus on our bright faces, shells, etc. its not a big deal. I put a vest on my choc. when its cold. otherwise, I'm glad she's there. half the time she spots the birds before I do.

Here's a question for the dog. How can they tell a duck/goose from a shore bird yet fail to remember what happened the LAST time they ran up to a skunk?
:oops:
Roy
hunter

Postby puddlehunter » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:39 pm

I do nothing however I may fold over tules.
I hunt with two labs, an chocolate and black and never seemed to bother ducks much (of course their dead by then anyways :mrgreen: ).
puddlehunter
puddlehunter
hunter

Postby dukaddict » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:26 pm

Here Dan
check it, this is what I saw on tv
http://sportpet.net/Catalog.aspx?cid=1&pid=1
dukaddict
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting