Duck Hunting Forum banner

Merced NWR

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  stalns 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a little info on Merced NWR. I pulled a resi and have not been there before. in fact i have never hunted any of those grassland refuges. I understand its all free roam. and Is that right you can only hunt till 1:30?
how bout you Russell? you ever hunt Merced?
come on someone help a brother out here.
my PM works

Dan

#2 ·
Dan I'll send ya an E on it when I get a chance with what (little) I know.

In a nutshell though...I've never been drawn for the danged place on account of a ga-jillion to one odds. Gave up on er' about 4 years back.
Small refuge, all mandatory blinds and almost always ressies only to get in. Big closed zone, small hunt area nearby so the potential is there when weather cooperates. Kills some white geese at times.

Bear with me and I'll get an E to ya before the weekend.... :thumbsup:

#3 ·
Dan,
Congrats, you got drawn for Merced. It is one of the better managed refuges in the grasslands.

Actually it is all blinds at Merced. I think that there about 15. You are to stop hunting at noon so as to be back by 1:00. You are allowed only 25 shells PER DAY (no shell runs to the truck), and stay out the whole time, sometimes the birds take a while to get going there.

Get there a little early and check out the posted blind averages to get an idea which to pick.

Also, be careful with the directions to the check station, it is a small place and is not marked very well. If you are staying the night in the area, maybe do a drive by the night before.

If you need more info you can PM me.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.