Delevan?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Delevan?

Postby thedckstpshere » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:42 pm

Well, I managed to draw a 15 for Delevan on the 10th. :getdown: I prayed to the duck gods and it finally happened. Only problem is that I have never been there before. I don't even know how to get there. Does anyone have any info they could leak out for a kid? :cool: How many can get in on a ressi? What are the blinds like? Do I want a blind? PM's are always appropriate. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.
-Brendan
thedckstpshere
hunter

Postby sweatliner » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:40 pm

Up to 4 on a ressi . There's blinds , assigned ponds and free roam . Blind sites are islands that you are allowed to move 100' from .

Not knowing the area your best bet is a blind . The averages are posted at the refuge and on the net .

GOOD LUCK .
sweatliner
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:21 pm

basically what sweatliner said. If I were you I would take a blind, not knowing the area. Goodluck
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby thedckstpshere » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:32 pm

Alrighty, looks like I'll be taking a blind. Are they 3 man, 2 man? Are they just tubes on a mud mound, or are they a tank with a couple of holes? Thanks.
thedckstpshere
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:41 pm

no tanks just a stake, you can hunt up to 100 feet from it. take a tule seat and have fun.
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby sweatliner » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:52 pm

sweatliner
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:33 am

I just hunted there for my first time on Sunday. Drew a #3 resi. The blinds are not really blinds, just islands with tules that you are assigned to. So a tule seat is a must. There was no dry land on the island we hunted either. Just had to fold some tules down to throw our bags on. I hunted island # 10 and we got 5 birds. Would have gotten more but we missed a lot, and quite a few birds flared because the dog started spazing out. There were a lot of gadwall and widgeon. We got 3 gadwall; 1 widgeon; and 1 shoveler. It's pretty easy to find. From I5, exit Maxwell rd, go east for 4 miles, left on 4 mile rd (gravel rd) for about a mile, you'll see the sign to turn right to the check station. Happy hunting! :salude:

Matt.
Mattquack
hunter

Postby Roy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:38 am

Bring a GOOD flashlight. The blind sites are marked with a stake and are paint to show with a flash light. the blinds are marked with arrowed signs on the road/levee. follow the signs to the last one then find the stake with your flashlight. Depending on how old the "kid" is, ask the check station how deep the water is. most are not bad for adults, but I had to nearly carry my son one time.
Roy
hunter

Postby thedckstpshere » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:15 pm

Thanks for the info guys! The "kid" is me, so there shouldn't be a problem as I'm 18. Are most of the mud mounds underwater? And so would bringing two dogs be kind of uncomfortable and tricky? Thanks for the great help guys. I'm really looking forward to this. It better not flood is all I can say. :pissed: :eek:
thedckstpshere
hunter

Postby Roy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:37 pm

Delevan WILL flood out and close if we get too much rain. happens some years, but not all. We we get alot of wind/rain (I hope, I hope) you may want to call ahead. you can go to the SNWR complex website. sometimes they are up to date, not always

http://sacramentovalleyrefuges.fws.gov

IMO: One guy and TWO dogs is almost always a hassle. do you shoot THAT many ducks at once????
Roy
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting