HOW DO YOU LIKE TO COOK YOUR DUCK?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

HOW DO YOU LIKE TO COOK YOUR DUCK?

Postby dukaddict » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:38 pm

I have recipies that range from simple jerky to cooking the whole bird stuffed with apple chunks and marinaded in ground up oranges
Last year a friend of mine brought in some meat to work and told me to try it, it tasted like venison, good stuff.
Imagine my surprise when he told me it was duck.
His secret?
Soak it in milk overnight.
Some of you may already know about this but I seem to learn something new every season.Try it, just breast out the bird and cut it down to bigger than jerky sized pieces, soak in milk then add seasoning and pepper, flour and cook in butter/margarine/olive oil or whatever you like.Use the leftovers to make gravy, cook up some rice and wala
Ducksteak & Gravy
I`ve yet to try the soaked duck on the BBQ or as jerky but I`m sure it`ll be just as delicious
Well, I`ve got a batch from Saturday cookin` and it`s almost done
gotta go
Good hunting :thumbsup:
mmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy duck

dukaddict
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:38 pm

Very nice picture, I like that look a lot!

As far as ducks go, I cook them all different ways. I like whole birds that are B-B-Qued in season. I make a wine, bourbon, and jelly sauce. Yum!

On my breasted birds I marinate them in all kinds of seasonings and wine. Serve over wild or brown rice!
I also take the breast and cut them into slices for fried rice.

All my birds i soak in salt water first to take the blood out. I have buddies that do the milk and I am going to try it this week.

Big key to cooking ducks is to not cook them past medium rare.

My ultimate favorite is to take your whole body ducks into Simon's resturant and let them do the work. I promise you it will be the best duck you have ever had!
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:42 pm

where is simon's restaurant? I've heard someone around here mention it before. I'm just curious.
Mattquack
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:57 pm

Its on 16th and N or somewhere around that in downtown Sac. Its 16 bucks a person and you need to bring in 1 duck per person. Extra birds are 6 bucks and you can bring in pheasants, geese or whatever you have. If you guys haven't been there you need to give it a shot. I take people there that don't like duck and they come out loving this place.
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:08 am

In what condition do the birds need to be in when you bring them in? Do they need to be plucked and dressed? Is breasting them out okay? Or will they clean and pluck them for me? This sounds like someplace I need to check out for sure.
Mattquack
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:31 pm

You need to take them whole, plucked and cleaned birds. They make the duck into several dishes so breasting out is not okay.

This what we do when we go. We like to take atleast 6 people or take in 6 ducks because then they will do a dish of duck legs.

These are the dishes that come out

1st- spicy lettuce wrap tacos
2nd- Duck legs
3rd- Crispy duck
4th- whole duck breasts
5th- Fried rice
6th- usually we take in a goose and a pheasant so we get a suprise on the goose and usually lemon pheasant.
7th- Veggies

I might be forgetting a dish or 2.
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:54 pm

Sounds very cool. Thanks for all the info. I'm looking forward to checking it out. I need to kill some more ducks first! I've got a #14 resi for yolo this sunday, so hopefully there'll be some birds flying.
Mattquack
hunter

Postby dukaddict » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:35 pm

That sounds good I may have to try that next time I`m down there

Salt water.........I`ve heard of that before, I remember my Grandpa doing that
The cool thing about the milk trick is you don`t have to sear them, you can cook them as long as you want.I know duck usually needs to be quick cooked but I like my meat well done. It does take a lot of the wild taste out of them though so if you`re into the liver taste you may be dissapointed.It tastes a lot like venison and I`ll bet if I gave you two plates side by side of duck and deer you couldn`t tell the difference.
dukaddict
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:17 pm

duckaddict- that is kind of the results i am getting with the salt water. Its takes the liver taste out of it. I will give the milk a try. How long do you let it soak for?
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby dukaddict » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:15 am

I`ve been getting great results getting them in the milk the night before and leaving them in the fridge, then cooking them when I get home so around 18 hours or so

How long with the salt water?
dukaddict
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:00 pm

about the same on the salt water.
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby Duckmeat » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:56 am

Pluck the bird, save it whole, shove a full beer ups its ass and set it on the grill. Put MSG, Seanson all and garlic all over it. Baste it often. Cook until meat is seperating from bone. Enjoy

Also, Fillet breast, marinate overnight in your desired concauction, wrap around an onion and jalepeno, Roll it up, place peppered bacon around it and stick it with tooth pick. cook on grill. Perfect for that saturday fight/poker party like im having tonight. DOAH! I dont have any duck left..dammit

Do you like duck meat? Duck down and get this meat..LMAO...its a joke
Duckmeat
hunter

Postby dukaddict » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:17 pm

That`s funny :laughing:
I`ve done the bacon wrap thing it comes out most excellent works great with doves/quail/pheasants too :thumbsup:
dukaddict
hunter

garlic encrusted duck

Postby BIGDUCKDAN » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:25 am

garlic encrusted duck. breast the birds. soakem in warm salt water for a half hour. rinse. hot pan add olive oil. add garlic and cook untill carmalized
roll duck breast in saltine craker crumbs. cook 4 min per side. add minced garlic to first side after flipping. eat and enjoy. youll like it :tounge:
BDD
BIGDUCKDAN
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:54 pm

As an ex-chef (are you really ever an "ex" chef) I can say that ducks are among the most versatile foods there is - that menu at Simon's is just one example. Try this:

take the legs and immerse them in a vat of duck/goose/chicken or pork fat that is hot but not too hot (180 - 200 degrees) test oil by putting bread in it - if it sizzles, turn the heat down and wait a few minutes because oil holds heat better than water. Once the legs are TOTALLY in the fat, let em sit there and SLOWLY cook for about 45 minutes. You can go a litlle longer. Cut off the heat and walk away until you can reach in and grab them with your fingers. Pour fat into a container (*you can reuse it indefinitely*)

You now have confit du canard...$29.99 a pound at a store. :getdown:

Flake out the meat and use for pasta, serve whole, eat cold, use in salds, etc etc etc

SO good! :thumbsup:

NOW a question: I keep ripping the skin on my birds when I dry pluck them. Any suggestions? Or do I have to wet pluck them instead?
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby asagar » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:03 pm

I've got a recipe too. I call it "Cold Duck Pasta". A little different from the norm. Grab a couple of breast and saute them with balsalmic vin agar, olive oil(not too much) and some fresh diced garlic till medium rare(no farther). Cube, salt and pepper to taste and set in the fridge covered. Make some pasta, I like med. shells for this. Add sl. blk olives, diced red and green onions, clilantro(key!), marinated sm. mushrooms and fresh grated parm., romano, asiago, etc.. Mix it all and cool. Serve the next day(if you don't dip in that night!). You can add other things like fresh Ital. herbs, salad dressings, marinades, or sub. chicken for duck. It's always a hit at the parties!

Enjoy,

asagar
asagar
Newb

Postby duckjumper » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:17 pm

that sounds very Portuguese - and tasty!
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby asagar » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:01 pm

It does sound Portuguese! I never thought of it that way, I just kinda slapped it up one day...
asagar
Newb

duck

Postby benelliboy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:56 am

Breast it , Beat it with a hammer! Rub in lots of fresh ground pepper then add some red wine! Let it set for at least ten minutes if not longer. BBQ on high heat 7 minutes on each side, wala! Instead of milk, I use Table salt to take the blood out of my duck breast ahead of time in a small freezer bag with lots of water! Regular milk does not work as good as buttermilk to drain blood!
Dont call so damn much, and let the birds work
For christ sakes!
benelliboy
hunter

Postby dukaddict » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:59 pm

Thanks for the great ideas :thumbsup:
Can`t wait to try some of the new recipies
dukaddict
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting