yolo bypass

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

yolo bypass

Postby Mattquack » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:35 pm

have any of you hunted a blind at yolo? I know they're pits, but I'm wondering if I bring 2 hunters and an observer if we'll all fit in the blind. anyone know? I tried to call out there, but just got a machine.

Thanks,

Matt.
Mattquack
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:10 pm

Sorry Matt,
I was hoppen someone could or would help you out.
Iv'e never shot there. did you try the DFG site?

Dan
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby buriani » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:23 pm

Took the grandsons there once. As I recall, they were 4 man blinds. The one we got was not very habitable as there was 4 inches of mud on the SEATS alone. I'm sure that has all changed.
Of the people, By the people and For the people
buriani
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:02 pm

Thanks guys.

My buddies actually wussed out, so I ended up going by myself, which is not a problem. I had hunted there several times, just always in the free roam. So I got a blind this time. lots of action right before shooting time. I had 3 mallards sitting in my spread for 15 minutes, then flew off 5 minutes before shooting time.

I shot a coot by accident right at shooting time. Missed a bunch of "reach out there shots", and got one ring-neck duck/ drake.

I think I'm gonna started doing afternoon refuge hunts for a while. Less stress / more sleep. :yes:
Mattquack
hunter

Postby asagar » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:44 pm

Mattquack,

I used to hunt Yolo alot in its beginning years. No blinds. That blind section is somewhat new. I used to hunt it as free-roam and it didn't shoot as well as the free-roam ponds south of it. Another thing, Yolo hardly shoots well without weather/wind. I'm sure you've seen the birds in the closed zone along the freeway, they need weather to move. They like to move to Stone Lakes or the Delta from there. You may find action in the blinds on a weather morning!

Good Luck,

asagar

P.S. This is my first entry :cool:
asagar
Newb

Postby Mattquack » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:51 pm

Thanks asager,

perfect first entry! :getdown: Welcome to our forum.

I think you're absolutely correct about the weather needing to pick up. With that being said, I think I'll be calling in sick for work on wednesday. Looks like rain!!! woo hoo.

Dan, I'm surprized you've never hunted yolo. It's only about a 35 drive from Galt.

matt
Mattquack
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting