Just joined Wilderness Unlimited

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Just joined Wilderness Unlimited

Postby ihuntducks » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:42 am

I dont know if any of you have heard about this but it sure did open alot of doors to me here in California. If you are looking for places to hunt, this place can hook you up. Heck, they have 5 or 6 private ranches in Imperial county which is 1 1/2 hours frm me. I know those of you in So. CA know what I am talking about when I say that our hunting is VERY limited. Most of thier ranches are up north which is cool, plenty of ducks and alot of different species. I am taking 4 days and going up to Butte Creek and gonna get my first Wood Duck.... They also have Quail, Dove. Pheasant and Big Game.... I will keep you posted. Looks like I might have just hit the California duck hunting Jackpot......
hold still.....................hold still........................ TAKE 'EM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ihuntducks
State Moderator

Postby duckiller » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:55 pm

I've got a buddy that joined this year too. He's super excited. It's a little pricey, but it's definately worth the money if you live in an area like San Diego. I'd be interested to hear how well you do in the so-cal area. My girlfriend wants to move down there, but it's hard for me to leave here for an area with less ducks.

Good Luck!
Brown dogs are best.
duckiller
hunter

Postby Shootin' Lead » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:15 am

Iv'e hunted the Sacramento Valley Refuges all my life... Hunted the
San Jaquien Valley Refuges quite a bit as well... Sure, we'd all like to
draw low-number reservations for Delevan, Little Dry Creek, Colusa
or Sacramento every weekend, but we all know that it just don't happen
like that... And the lottery - my personal experience with the lottery (at
any refuge) has been terrible !! So... I took a chance and bought a bird
membership with Wilderness Unlimited... So far this season, Iv'e been
pretty impressed !! I shot the free-roam at Butte Creek Farms last
tuesday (it's a 7-day shooter) and did Ok.. Then, this last weekend I shot
one of the natural blinds at the Keeley Club... Me & my partner killed
4 mallards, 4 teal and a couple of widgeon.... Keep in mind this ranch is
located DIRECTLY across Hiway 20 from the closed zone at Colusa Refuge.. It is a hell of a good piece of property !! Bottom line is, if you take the time to learn the different ranches, WU is an affordable way to go... Beats the hell out of the lottery, anyway !!
Shootin' Lead
hunter

Postby Humboldt Drake » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:58 pm

ihuntducks, i read that you are from san diego, i plan on moving to the area in the near future but im a little sceptical because i couldnt combine good duck hunting with that area. is there marshes,sloughs,rivers or some type of flooded feilds there or anything like that? what are the hot spots in san diego/so cal. coastline area? where do you like to hunt there? any info on hunting that type of area would be great. please help me out
Humboldt Drake
hunter

Postby ihuntducks » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:19 pm

Before I joined WU I hunted the Salton Sea and the River alot. Wu has alot of different spots to hunt here, so far so good. Hunted last weekend and shot a limit. Going again on the 8th. I will keep you posted.
hold still.....................hold still........................ TAKE 'EM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ihuntducks
State Moderator

Return to California Duck Hunting