Wister Unit Info

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Wister Unit Info

Postby alleyehave » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:19 pm

Hey guys,

I've never hunted there and am looking for some info. I spoke to a rep for the preserve and she said there are blinds already there at some sites. What type? What would I need to bring in the way of blinds? Do you shoot over water there or is it fields? Both? I've heard 2 dozen decoys is plenty, besides mallards what else? Snow geese probable?

Thanks,
Nate
alleyehave
hunter

Re: Wister Unit Info

Postby DuckFan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:22 pm

The blinds are 'sites'.....not an actual pit blind.

There is a stake you are to stay within 100 yards of that stake. Usually, someone before you has built a 'blind' from the arrow weed that grows in the area, and is sold at a catering truck in the checkstation. But, if not, you find cover and hunt from there.

These are dirt dikes, so you are hunting from the dike itself.

check out this post from a while back:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=94678&p=719752&hilit=wister#p719752
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Postby canadianshooter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:09 pm

Just got a draw for Wister on the 26th. It will be my first time here. I know they flood the fields pretty good but does anyone know if I'll need hip waders or just some boots? We've got a dog and my buddy will be in waders in case. Also any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
If you want to save a species, simply decide to eat it. Then it will be managed - like chickens, like turkeys, like deer, like Canadian geese.-Ted Nugent
canadianshooter
Newb

Postby takemnow » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:37 pm

While I haven't hunter there, I'd definitely recommend the hip waders; all the refuges I've hunted - the water would easily swamp a pair of 16" boots. Then you would be left with cold wet feet the rest if the day. Having a pair of waders will open up more waterfowling opportunities in the future.

Good luck!
takemnow
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:38 pm

If you have someone else to do the wader work - set dekes, assist the dog on a retrieve as needed.....you could probably go with boots. But, I wouldn’t. Things can change and I would prefer to be able to get 'wet' as needed.

Funny....back in the 60's, my dad took us 3 boys with him to Wister. We used to wear old pants and tennis shoes and just get wet. The early part of the season was so hot, it actually felt good. He didn't have the money to buy waders for all of us.

Then, we 'graduated' to the plastic waders that Big 5 used to sell (maybe still do). Not much more than a trash can liner these days, but with feet on them and an elastic band to hold them up. I loved it.

Ahh.......the days.

Hard to believe it will be my 50th season coming up. God, I would give just about anything to be back there, with dad and my brothers - out hunting.

Go, and have a blast at Wister!
Proud Life Member - CWA
Member - Delta Waterfowl
Member - Ducks Unlimited
DuckFan
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting