DUCK CLUB RICE HUNTERS ONLY

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

DUCK CLUB RICE HUNTERS ONLY

Postby DUCKSPY » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:02 am

I KNOW YOU GUYS ARE OUT THERE, BUT DONT GET INVOLED WITH THE REFUGE STUFF, SO I THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO HELP A FELLOW RICE CHECK DUCK HUNTER OUT........GUST FOUND OUT RICE WILL BE HARVESTED THIS WEEK...THEY FLOODED... THEY STOMPPED TOO DEATH........JUST THE FACTS MY BLIND IN 200 ACER FIELD IN MIDDLECHECK.......3 CHECKS INFIELD THAT RUN EAST TO WEST 1MILE LONG AND STRAIGHT 300 YARDS APART.....IM IN A VERY GOOD FLYWAY ,WITHIN 2 MILES OF 3 CLOSED ZONES....... HAVE NEVER HUNTED A STOMPED FIELD AND WILL HAVE TO PUT OUT DECOYS IN A BOAT..........I USEUALLY PUT OUT A BIG SPREAD BUT THATS WHEN I CAN DRIVE OUT AND DROP THEM FROM BACK OF PICKUP....I HAVE ACCESS TO MORE DECOYS THEN I EVER USE...WHAT IM LOOKING FOR HERE IS INPUT FROM HUNTERS THAT HAVE BEEN THERE , DONE THAT...... WHATS YOUR OPINTION OF STOMPPED FIELD AS TO GOOD OR BAD.... IF IT WAS YOU HOW MANY DECOYS WOULLD YOU PUT OUT, DUCKS AND GEESE, IUSE ABOUT 60 FLOATING SPECKS USEALLY,, AND CHECK DECOYS????? IF IM LUCKY I WILL ONLY MISS THE FIRST MONTH OF THE SEASON AT 100.00 A DAY!!!!!!!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS ......DUCKSPY.....
DUCKSPY
hunter

Re: DUCK CLUB RICE HUNTERS ONLY

Postby ricehunter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:02 am

I find it to be the same as chopped, burned or disced.
ricehunter
account permanently suspended for multiple user names

Postby gboyd242 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:24 am

First of all caps lock is not necessary, it doesn't really bother me people consider it like yelling but in type form.

A stomped field should be pretty easy to walk in. Way better than a disced or chiseled field. As for decoys put out whatever you think will work and then adjust if it's not working or you think it could work better. If the fields are hard to walk in and guys have to pack in their deeks then it might be to your advantage to bring in a bunch to make yourself stand out from the other blinds.
gboyd242
hunter

Postby northvalleyhunter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:22 am

gboyd242 wrote:First of all caps lock is not necessary, it doesn't really bother me people consider it like yelling but in type form.

A stomped field should be pretty easy to walk in. Way better than a disced or chiseled field. As for decoys put out whatever you think will work and then adjust if it's not working or you think it could work better. If the fields are hard to walk in and guys have to pack in their deeks then it might be to your advantage to bring in a bunch to make yourself stand out from the other blinds.

Agree on the caps, but not the walking part. Good luck. Stomped fields make the walking horrible. Its like walking in quick sand and your wader boot will get stuck in the mud. I do no think a disced field is that bad cause its hard for the blades to get through all the rice straw so the chunks of dirt sometimes are not that big, but still sucks. If they go over it twice with a disc its pretty much the same as a chiseled field.

Either way its going to be tough. I would go from a boat and have a good dog. Just sayin from experience.
northvalleyhunter
hunter

Postby Filson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:38 am

Stomped field is very difficult to walk in. As far as decoys, I would put as many as I could. From the description you gave about your blind, I would be thinking 1000's of decoys. Get all your buddies and there buddies to lend a hand. You have already paid a price for the blind now you need to set it right.
I love animals! They're Delicious!
Filson
hunter

Postby mixedbag916 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:54 pm

In regards to decoys, whether or not disced, chopped, stomped, blended, minced, whatever, I would use what you normally use. But to be succesful you'll need to adjust it throughout the season depending upon how the birds are reacting.
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:31 pm

If I could set out 350-400 decoys only on the days I hunted, I would do it. But, thats not possible. Your gonna get fresh birds for awhile but sooner or later they will figure out your spread is fake unless you adjust and move stuff around. Some guys are down to a dozen or two by the end of season. If your club shoots 7 days, the birds will learn your blind as well (esp. so close to a refuge). Being next to a closed zone says little unless its on a part with water. Most clubs next to the zones are seperated by several thousand yards of open fields that are dry. Only nice on a foggy day.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby #4Buckshot » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:39 pm

friedcoot stated: " If I could set out 350-400 decoys only on the days I hunted, I would do it."

I think the UFW is missing a great opportunity here.

After all, it IS winter.
#4Buckshot
hunter

Postby mixedbag916 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:51 pm

#4Buckshot wrote:friedcoot stated: " If I could set out 350-400 decoys only on the days I hunted, I would do it."

I think the UFW is missing a great opportunity here.

After all, it IS winter.

:lol3: :clapping: :clapping:
"for I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power" Philippians 4:13
mixedbag916
hunter

Postby RiceAuger » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:11 am

Stomped sucks for walking/retreiving but hopefully you have a dog to handle that.

Field practices dont affect decoy numbers or placement in my opinion. In my neck of the woods generally
you cant have to many decoys as my best blind is home to way,way more than 350.

I take it your field was stomped wet with a roll cage or similar implement?

Being next to flooded closed zones can be -- lets just say tricky at times.
The problem is most duck hunters dont know what good duck hunting really is.
RiceAuger
hunter

Postby They deserve to be worked. » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:35 am

Stomped fields are awesome to hunt but difficult to walk in. Don't worry about the difficult walk it is a great way to keep your leg muscles in great shape to hunt elk or mule deer next year. It is my daily work out, I'm 61. I use a ski pole as my walking stick in the field going to and from the blind. About the awesome side, a stomped field turns the water chocolate brown. Once you set your decoys the field looks like a place where the birds are grinding. Some seasons I have brown water and birds the entire season. This will be my 14th year in the same spot, always stomped. I keep an eye out for the stomper. Once he passes my check I try to get my decoys out ASAP. Within three to four days the feathers will show up from birds feeding at night there. From then on its DUCK SEASON!

Remember your blind is in the kitchen. When the birds are feeding you will have birds working your spread. Hunt when you have birds, or weather. Lots of beautiful "blue bird" days rice doesn't shoot that well because the birds move to protected non-hunted places, or places with clear or deep water to bathe and rest.

I set smaller numbers of decoys so I can change my spread throughout the season. I usually start with lots of decoys for me. 200 to 300. Birds like big spreads early in the season. Then, I continue to change the spread and haul decoys out as the season winds down. January 1 I really start to pull out decoys. I usually end my season with 24 duck decoys and 36 speck decoys.

Seize the moments out there and remember, They Deserve To Be Worked!
They deserve to be worked.
hunter

Postby Jonny Rocket » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:21 pm

I totally agree with Deserve - I'm a fan of 300+/- to begin the season and then start mixing it up by January 1 by pulling 50 every week. You have to remember that these ducks fly up and down the valley for 3 months looking at the same 1,000-decoy spread in all the rice clubs. My experience is that if you mix it up by reducing the number as the season goes on, you'll have better luck pulling in those decoy-shy birds in late season. IMHO.
Read about it at www.hunteatlive.com
Jonny Rocket
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:07 pm

MAN I NEW YOU GUYS WERE OUT THERE, THANKS FOR STEPPING UP TO THE PLATE... FIRST OF ALL ABOUT THE CAPS.....MY MOMMA TOLD ME TOO STOP THAT OR I WOULD GO BLIND....DIDNT STOP UNTIL I FOUND OUT WHAT GIRLS WERE GOOD FOR AND BY THAT TIME I NEEDED COKE BOTTOM GLASSES...SO GENTLEMAN I WILL ALLWAYS HUNT AND PECK TYPE IN CAPS ,JUST SO I CAN SEE WHAT I TYPE... SORRY IF IT NOT RIGHT I DONT MEAN TO UPSET ANYONE BUT THATS WHAT I HAVE TO DO.....IF IT WASNT FOR MY BUDDY IN THE NAVY THAT PUT A LASER GUIDANCE SYSTEM ON MY SHOTGUN I WOULD NEVER GET ANY DUCKS...THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THEY HAVE TO BE WITHIN 25 YARDS FOR THE LASER TO LOCK ON............

THANKS FOR ALL THE IN PUT ABOUT MY BLIND..... I USUALLY PUT OUT 3000 TO 4000 DECOYS .... I START 275 YARDS SOUTHEAST OF BLIND AND RUN STRAIGHT LINE THROUGHBLIND TO THE NORTH WEST 275 YARDS...DECOYS AT BLIND NO MORE THEN 25 YARDS OUT SO WHEN DUCKS CRUSE DOWN LINE OF DECOYS THEY DONT KNOW WHAT HIT THEM....SOUTHWEST OF BLIND I HAVE 60 FLOATING SPECKS ALL THE WAY TO THE CHECK WITH ANOTHER TWO DOZEN FULL BODYSPECKS ON CHECK.....ALSO PAIRS OF EVERTHING HERE AND THERE AND EVERWERE , WITH LOTS OF LANDING PODS EVERWHERE......

I CANT DO THIS ,THIS YEAR DO TO FIELD CONDITIONS AS I DONT HAVE BIKE THAT CAN RUN IN STOMPED FIELD TO TOW BOATS....EVERY BIKE IVE SEEN AT BUDDYS BLIND GETS STUCK IN THE MUD AT SUM POINT... ANYBODY GOT A ARGO???
ANYWAY THANKS FOR ALL INPUT ........ BY THE WAY HUNTING OVER THIS MANY DECOYS, AS CLOSE TO THE CLOSE ZONES AS IM, NEVER LEEDS FOR A DULL DAY.....AS THE DUCKS AND GEESE THINK IT IS A CLOSED ZONE.....DUCKSPY
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby FireTeal » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:49 pm

DUCKSPY wrote:I USUALLY PUT OUT 3000 TO 4000 DECOYS

LOL!
FireTeal
hunter

Postby Filson » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 am

DUCKSPY wrote:IF IT WASNT FOR MY BUDDY IN THE NAVY THAT PUT A LASER GUIDANCE SYSTEM ON MY SHOTGUN I WOULD NEVER GET ANY DUCKS...THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THEY HAVE TO BE WITHIN 25 YARDS FOR THE LASER TO LOCK ON.DUCKSPY

Man, thats what I need! :lol3:
I love animals! They're Delicious!
Filson
hunter

Postby Shooting wide » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:53 pm

DUCKSPY wrote:.. I START 275 YARDS SOUTHEAST OF BLIND AND RUN STRAIGHT LINE THROUGHBLIND TO THE NORTH WEST 275 YARDS...DECOYS AT BLIND NO MORE THEN 25 YARDS OUT SO WHEN DUCKS CRUSE DOWN LINE OF DECOYS THEY DONT KNOW WHAT HIT THEM....SOUTHWEST OF BLIND I HAVE 60 FLOATING SPECKS ALL THE WAY TO THE CHECK WITH ANOTHER TWO DOZEN FULL BODYSPECKS ON CHECK.....ALSO PAIRS OF EVERTHING HERE AND THERE AND EVERWERE , WITH LOTS OF LANDING PODS EVERWHERE......

No offense, just a mere refuge hunting noob here, but why 275 yards and not 280? Or 270? What is it about those last few yards that allows the magic to happen?

Also, I am looking for 4,000 decoys. Where did you get yours? How did you have them shipped?
Shooting wide
hunter

Postby spoonyboy10 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:20 am

If you can find them, GHG Hot Buy Mallard. 15" long. 6 drakes/6 hens. $20 for a doz. THATS A DEAL! :thumbsup:
spoonyboy10
hunter

Postby sarahsdad » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:18 am

With 3000-4000 decoys out if it's stomped, disced or burnt shouldn't really make a difference, should it? The birds will be drawn to you like a magnate but most of your shots will be long and you'll crip a lot of birds that you won't be able to find, even if you have a good dog.
sarahsdad
hunter

Postby RiceAuger » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:41 am

spy if your paying $100/day why you putting out an insane # of blocks?--at that rate i would
think a handfull of nice decoys would be best if your paying for location,location,location
The problem is most duck hunters dont know what good duck hunting really is.
RiceAuger
hunter

Postby grnheadhuntr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Not a Rice hunter but 4000 decoys! I use 12 at the refuge and kill a lot of ducks!

Lets see, 4000 decoys at minimum $20 GHG per dozen!

Hmm thats 333 dozen decoys (LOL)

So you spent $6666 on decoys. I would find a better place to hunt with that much money in decoys.
Good luck
grnheadhuntr
hunter

Postby etfremduckhunter » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:16 pm

I always wanted to see a pick of so many decoys...can you post a picture?

I think you will need an Argo with tracks and pull a Jon boat loaded with decoys...
etfremduckhunter
hunter

Postby ricehunter » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:02 pm

grnheadhuntr wrote:Not a Rice hunter but 4000 decoys! I use 12 at the refuge and kill a lot of ducks!

Lets see, 4000 decoys at minimum $20 GHG per dozen!

Hmm thats 333 dozen decoys (LOL)

So you spent $6666 on decoys. I would find a better place to hunt with that much money in decoys.
Good luck

Hey i thought this was rice hunters only.. :lol3: :lol3:

Jusst messin bro
ricehunter

Postby They deserve to be worked. » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:31 pm

DUCKSPY! I responded earlier, now I'm sorry I did. Check out my handle, They Deserve To Be Worked! We are talking duck hunting on this site. Anyone who uses thousands of decoys or even can afford thousands of decoys has no right to use this website. you just want to kill ducks, not hunt them. Go to Clear Creek Pheasant Club in Corning and shoot Flighted Mallards every week! Just so you know, at our club, a new guy came in and set 2000 decoys. He was sent packing the next year. Hope it happens to you.
They deserve to be worked.
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:03 pm

That had to be a TYPO. No one sets that many decoys out...even rags. I fly over the Valley way too much and the largest was maybe 600...it also had 4 blinds (that I could see) around the perimeter. By the way, if I can see your blind, so can the ducks, esp. if you don't cover your face.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby ricehunter » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:53 am

friedcoot wrote:That had to be a TYPO. No one sets that many decoys out...even rags. I fly over the Valley way too much and the largest was maybe 600...it also had 4 blinds (that I could see) around the perimeter. By the way, if I can see your blind, so can the ducks, esp. if you don't cover your face.

Thats the largest you've seen? Ive never been flown over blinds. But i have been out to some blinds with 1000 and 800 decoys. It is possible you can't tell if they are decoys or real ducks?
ricehunter

Next

Return to California Duck Hunting