DUCK CLUB RICE HUNTERS ONLY

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Re: DUCK CLUB RICE HUNTERS ONLY

Postby duckdoa » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:09 am

Jeez, it looks to me like those pics were not taken on new years day Sherlock! My guess is the batteries were replaced that day as it is so obvious those pix are not indicative if the same date stamp/ time of year. Speaking of year, that rhymes with beer, gotta go.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Oops that's just ducks and geese...
duckdoa
hunter

Postby elsinoreracer » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:24 pm

DUCKSPY wrote:HOWDY BOYS....BEEN BUSY THIS SUMMER,SO YOU HAVENT HEARD FROM ME,CAUSE I DONT LIKE TO BICTH AND MOANE ABOUT STUFF THAT DONT MATTER .......I LIKE TO SAY SOMETHING WHEN I SAY SOMETHING,JUST THE WAY I ROLL.......ANYWAY SEASON SET , SO ITS TIME TO COME OUT OF MY CAVE AND START WORKING ON THE BLIND,........TO DO IT RIGHT IT TAKES LOTS OF PREP WORK,,CLEANING DECOYS ,KILLING WEEDS AROUND THE BLIND AND ON THE CHECK,CHECK THE BARN FOR RAT DAMAGE,AND SO ON AND SO ON....I HOPE THIS WORKSFOR YOU GUYS BUT THIS IS MY FIRST TRY AT PICTURES...FOUND SOME PICTURES OF THE BLIND AFTER WE PICKED UP ABOUT HALF OF THE DECOYS A COUPLE YEARS AGO.....WOODDUCKING THIS YEAR,425CHICKS HATCHED......SHOOTING LIMITS OF COTTONTAILS IN THE AFTERNOONS....AND TAKING MY DECOY BOYS FISHING........THATS A 33 POUND CARP ON 4LB TEST.....ANYWAY IM STILL OUT HERE HIDING IN THE TULES WANTING.....

YOUR FRIEND DUCKSPY

My sink with rabbits...glad to see all my hard work gets used in a proper way.
elsinoreracer
hunter

Postby elsinoreracer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:39 am

Hey Spy what's up? How does it feel to be 52? You ready for the new season yet? Let me know whats up.
elsinoreracer
hunter

Postby Redbeard » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:54 am

Dacowboy wrote:I hunted with duckspy. Good dude, uses ball bearings for a feeding chuckle.

How does he do it? Rattle em together somehow?
"Jedge, y' know, suh, us all has ouh good an' ouh bad days wid de ducks. Yes, my lawdy, us sho' do. Dey's times whin de ducks flies all ovah ev'ything an' ev'ybody, an' still us kain't none o' us hit nuthin'- lak me an' you wuz' dis mawnin' "
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:06 am

They don't have rice in Illinois.
What is this..."rice"?

Isn't this a year-old thread?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby elsinoreracer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:43 pm

aunt betty wrote:They don't have rice in Illinois.
What is this..."rice"?

Isn't this a year-old thread?

Hopefully you really want to know this...we hunt on flooded rice fields after the harvest and they are usually mowed down or burnt then flooded so only the stubble remains. There is a long check (small levee) that divides the ponds. In the middle of the check is a buried blind of some sort with camo. The dekes are thrown out on the ponds and the slaying begins. Ducks love rice and they taste great when eaten.
elsinoreracer
hunter

Postby Dacowboy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:45 pm

No he puts the ball bearings in a film canister and puts it in his mouth and shakes head back and forth
Dacowboy
hunter

Postby elsinoreracer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:48 am

Have a great opener Spy!
elsinoreracer
hunter

Postby Gomerking » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:10 pm

BUMP! Need to feed my DUCKSPY addiction.....

Please enlighten us with tales from the power rice blind!

GK
Earning Your Respect One Post at a Time

Dacowboy wrote:Jesus christ it's like the last day on Fiji with you guys on here.
Gomerking
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:25 pm

His silence presumed by me to mean he's pounding them or maybe he got himself a girlfriend.....
I have heard through the girls at the Butte City Bar his visits are less frequent and his beer goggles are a little more fogged up, meaning he's hot and bothered by something? Ducks and geese, maybe.....
Seriously though, the rice is being harvested fast and furious all around there. I should know as I hunt near the secret spot with 1,000 decoys you can see from 162 if you got duck eyes. If you got duck ears you can hear the banging as those refuge ducks are feeding like crazy in the fields north of LDC. Not all days are the same with last Monday being slow and ducks are getting wary, hopefully the front will get them moving for the weekend. I will be looking for a couple of Asian imports too Saturday.....
I love to hunt ducks over rice, the best part though is the sunrise over the water and the anxious opportunity that awaits every minute.....
duckdoa
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:26 pm

MR. GOMERKING...ITS ALLWAYS NICE TO BE WANTED......BEEN OUT HERE HIDING IN THE TULES ,WAITING FOR THE BLIND TO COME TOGETHER.....MOST PEOPLE ON THIS SITE ,HAVE A HARD TIME WITH MY STORIES,I THINK ITS BECAUSE THEN HAVENT BEEN THERE,DONE THAT......I JUST LIKE TO SHARE WHAT ITS LIKE TO BE IN ONE OF THE BEST RICE BLINDS IN THE STATE,BUT MOST PEOPLE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY TPYEING SKILLS,MY CUTTING EDGE HUEMER,AND I DONT THINK ALOT OF THE YOUNGENS BELIEVE ME CAUSE A DONT POST ALOT OF PICTURES........AND ALOT OF PEOPLE ON THIS SITE GOT BUTT HURT ABOUT SOME OF MY STORIES,SO THEN CALLED THE MODS....... SO THE MODS. TOLD ME TO GEAR IT DOWN,AS NOT TO AFIND BIBLE TUMMPPERS,AND SMALL MINDED CHILDREN.......SO NOW I PICK MY SPOTS AND TRY NOT TO HURT ANY ONES FEELINGS..

OK LETS TALK DUCKBLIND AND HUNTING...BLIND GOT HARVESTED WEEK BEFORE SEASON BUT NEEDED TO BE STOMPED,SO OPENING WEEKEND,WE CUT THE CHECK CLEAN,SET UP BLIND[BLIND COVERS,DOG BOX,AND PUT OUT 60 BALES OF HAY].BUDDY DREW OPENING DAY AT LDC,GOT MY HONEY HOLE,GOT PICKEY,DONE BY 10,18 MALLARDS AND 3 DRAKE WOODIES FOR MY BUDDY AND HIS KID..HUNTED FLOODED TIRE TRACKS AT MY BLIND ON FRIDAY AND SUNDAY,3 GUNS,17 DUCKS AND 9 SPECKS...THIS LAST WEEKEND I GOT LOW RESSIE AT SAC[.18 DUCKSFOR 4 GUNS] DONE AT 1030AM, ..MY BLIND GOT STOMPED WENSDAY WE PUT OUT 1ST 500 DECOYS FRIDAY,BUDDY TOOK TWO LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL KIDS OUTIN THE AM[14 DUCKS]ON SAT.WE PUT OUT ANOTHER 1000 DECOYS BEFORE THE RAIN..THEN SHOT 10 MALLARDS,4 PINTAILS IN A HOUR AND A HALF,TWO GUNS....SUNDAY 8 DUCKS,1SPECK..MONDAY 6 DUCKS AND WE NOW HAVE ALL GOOSE DECOYS AND CHECK DECOYS OUT.STILL HAVE A COUPLE THOUSAND MORE DUCK DECOYS TO GO,TO GET IT TO WHERE I WANT IT TO LOOK LIKE..PLUS A COUPLE DOZEN SWAN DECOYS...ANYWAY I MUST BE GIVING SOMEONE A HEAD ACHE,SO ALL FOR NOW...YOUR FRIEND .....,.,,DUCKSPY.......
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:33 pm

DUCKSPY, I ALWAYS ENJOY YOUR POSTS SOUNDS LIKE YOUR BLIND IS COMING TOGETHER AND YOUR OFF TO A GOOD START THIS SEASON :thumbsup: kEEP US POSTED ON YOUR HUNTS :beer:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby #4Buckshot » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:57 pm

"....THE MODS. TOLD ME TO GEAR IT DOWN..."

Wow !! Really????

Must have been the CAPS because I sure can't remember anything if/when compared to most of the other posts or replies.
#4Buckshot
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:17 am

60 bales!! How many yards you covering? Are you doubling over the bale step joints?
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Gomerking » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:09 pm

DUCKSPY wrote:AND ALOT OF PEOPLE ON THIS SITE GOT BUTT HURT ABOUT SOME OF MY STORIES,SO THEN CALLED THE MODS....... SO THE MODS. TOLD ME TO GEAR IT DOWN,AS NOT TO AFIND BIBLE TUMMPPERS,AND SMALL MINDED CHILDREN.......SO NOW I PICK MY SPOTS AND TRY NOT TO HURT ANY ONES FEELINGS.......

Awesome - Don't let those crybabies get you down!!! I'm sure its just like the God blind at LDC everyday at your pond.......

I'm a relative newbie, only shooting a decade or so in North Valley rice, but this has been the best start to a season I've ever seen. Like you, we've been hammering them since opening day!! Keep up the good work and keep us all posted on your antics.

GK
Earning Your Respect One Post at a Time

Dacowboy wrote:Jesus christ it's like the last day on Fiji with you guys on here.
Gomerking
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:34 pm

DuckSpy, maybe you've posted a pic before and I have missed it, but could you post some pics of your spread? That would be amazing...

My buddy wants me to get up to his club this weekend, but not sure if I'll be able to make it with my dad just having heart surgery. His club house is about 300 yards from the Butte City Bar.

Jeff
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby Filson » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:18 pm

Coot:

Check page 1. You've all heard about the red carpet, well this is the golden carpet, where anyone can liesurely walk to the hole. Blind is at least 3/8 mile. 60 bales=follow the yellow brick road. :yes:

Spy:

Thanks for taking my Chico State student hunting. :thumbsup: He took his two limits and fed all of his buddies. Apparently, you told him: Duck is brain food and he took it to heart. You are making an animal out of him. :smile:
Attachments
Duck dinner.jpg
I love animals! They're Delicious!
Filson
hunter

Postby elsinoreracer » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:19 am

Hey Spy! Where you at? Give me a call sometime. My shoulder is healed and ready to test the buttstock of my gold hunter again.
elsinoreracer
hunter

Postby elsinoreracer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:55 am

Spy! Whats up? Looking to come over the Sierras before Christmas to see kids and new granddaughter. Wondering how the season is going so far? Give me a ring. Have some great holidays!
elsinoreracer
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:29 pm

DUCKSPY, Hows your season going ? Havent heard from you to much this season . :beer:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:40 pm

HOWDY MY FELLOW DUCK HUNTERS,I GUESS ITS TIME FOR A SEASON UPDATE FROM THE POWER BLIND....I DONT POST AS MUCH AS I WOULD LIKE TO,AS NOT TOO GET PEOPLE BUTTHURT ABOUT THE WAY I WRITE AND COME ACROSS WITH THE FACTS.THE FACTS ARE I HUNT ALOT AND DONT HAVE TIME TO POST UPDATES FOR THE FEW OF YOU THAT HAVE BEEN THERE ,DONE THAT,AND KNOW THAT IM JUST TRYING TO SHARE MY HUNTING KNOLEDGE WITH THE OPEN MINDED...FOR THAT IM SORRY,BUT TOO MANY GUIYS ON HERE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY STORIES.....ANY WAY JUST GOT BACK TO WORK THIS WEEK, AFTER 5 WEEKS PAID VACATION,DUCK HUNTING 5 OR 6 DAYS AWEEK IN MY BLIND...THE LAST 3 WEEKS ONLY 2 LIMITS DAYS,MOSTLY SPRIG AND SPECK DAYS...GET YOUR 2 BULLS,PULL THE SPINNER,SET UP FOR SPECKS,BEEN GETTING 10 TO 15 SPECKS A WEEK FOR THE LAST TWO WEEKS....WE HAVE 3000 DUCK DECOYS AND A 150 FULL BODY GOOSE AND SWAN DECOYS THIS YEAR,TWO NEW 12 SPRIG SPREADER PULL CORDS THAT WITH A LITTLE MODOFCATION WORK UNBLIEVABLE ON CLAM DAYS.[I HAVE TWO BLIND PARTNERS THAT ARE GOOD AT JERKING OFF] WE HAD THE BEST NOVEMBER EVER,[270 BIRDS,OVER A 20 BIRD BLIND AVERAGE] OUR BEST SHOOT DAYS WERE WEDNESDAY NOV.23 TO SUNDAY 27TH,AND WED. NOV. 30, LIMITS OF DUCKS AND A BUNCH OF GEESE EVERYDAY,BUT SINCE THAT BIG WIND ON THE 30TH,1ST,AND 2ND,IT HASNT BEEN THE SAME...DUCKS GOT BLOWEN OUT OF MY AREA AND HAVE NOT MADE A RETURN IN BIG #S. EXCEPT FOR A COUPLE DAYS OF FOG WHEN THEY GOT LOST AND WE CHEWED THEM UP..STILL HAVE A DOUBLE DIGIT BLIND AVERAGE...THE BUTTE CITY BAR IS NO FUN ANY MORE,NEW PEOPLE,NO STRIPPERS..GOT A 300$ BLENDER AND 2 CASES OF 1.75 TEQUKILLYA TO KEEP THE GIRLS HAPPY AT THE DUCK SHACK,I GET EVERY FAT GIRL IN COLUSA COUNTY TOO PLUCK AND CLEAN MY BIRDS AFTER A FEW MARGURITAS..HOPE WE GET SOME STROMS THE LAST TWO WEEKS...YOUR FRIEND..........DUCKSPY...............
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby OR-7 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:50 pm

DUCKSPY.... you're the best!!! :hammer:
I don't need no stinkin' CREW!!
OR-7
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 am

I did it! After checking in again and again I found the Spy at his second home (drinking the cheap beer) and pulled him away from the girls long enough to ask him to take me and my Dad out for his 75th birthday.
He must have been feeling generous as he said to meet him at the parking lot at 6 am the next day. We arrived late, (Dad forgot his glasses at the trailer) and the Spy gave us a ride out to the check. My Dad was happy with the golden carpet all the way to the blind as he uses a walking stick. Thousands of birds were flying off the pond and we had high hopes even with the mild weather.
We were sworn to secrecy as to location of this blind. It has one hell of a lot of decoys. Duck decoys galore, specs and snows, giant white decoys that resemble swans I think and more check decoys than I have ever seen. We called some specs in right away and my new Flatcoat Retreiver went and fetched 'em up! What fun!
Sprig descended from the heavens and fell to the pond a while later. Spoonies came by and gave my pup some more work, her first 90 yard all-by-herself retreive. We sailed a sprig 400 yards away (I watched it go down with my binocs) and the SPY took us over to find it. That was very ethical and generous of him to take us there to get it. My pup chased it out of the rice on the edge of the field and finally got it. It was truly a great B-day present for my Dad and memories that will stay with us forever.
We left at 10 am to watch the NINERS win. It was a great day.....
duckdoa
hunter

Postby wingcutter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:18 am

duckdoa wrote:I did it! After checking in again and again I found the Spy at his second home (drinking the cheap beer) and pulled him away from the girls long enough to ask him to take me and my Dad out for his 75th birthday.
He must have been feeling generous as he said to meet him at the parking lot at 6 am the next day. We arrived late, (Dad forgot his glasses at the trailer) and the Spy gave us a ride out to the check. My Dad was happy with the golden carpet all the way to the blind as he uses a walking stick. Thousands of birds were flying off the pond and we had high hopes even with the mild weather.
We were sworn to secrecy as to location of this blind. It has one hell of a lot of decoys. Duck decoys galore, specs and snows, giant white decoys that resemble swans I think and more check decoys than I have ever seen. We called some specs in right away and my new Flatcoat Retreiver went and fetched 'em up! What fun!
Sprig descended from the heavens and fell to the pond a while later. Spoonies came by and gave my pup some more work, her first 90 yard all-by-herself retreive. We sailed a sprig 400 yards away (I watched it go down with my binocs) and the SPY took us over to find it. That was very ethical and generous of him to take us there to get it. My pup chased it out of the rice on the edge of the field and finally got it. It was truly a great B-day present for my Dad and memories that will stay with us forever.
We left at 10 am to watch the NINERS win. It was a great day.....

Sounds like an awesome day for sure :thumbsup: Way to go Spy!
“To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering.”

-Aldo Leopold
wingcutter
hunter

Postby elsinoreracer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Hi all. Just thought I'd drop a few lines to thank the Spy for an amazing time out on his club just before Christmas. Like I've said here before, it is truly an amazing thing to go out here to hunt or just watch the birds. Every time we went out we limited on sprig and got quite a few specks. Not too much else was flying, but it was worth it to see the show. First off, ungodly amounts of dekes. I was hunting with one of his blind partners and some of the local high school kids. Awesome deke spread, 2 awesome callers and a good dog, never even had to pull out my calls from the bag, not that I can call worth a damn. Well Friday morning before Christmas we had to break ice in the ponds to get the dekes moving, but when the sun came up the show was on. Within the first half hour we had our limits of bulls so we sat back to wait on some specks. After an hour of waiting out the bluebird day with only birds flying miles up, we were suprised by flight after flight of sprig working our spead. Pictures to follow. Without any calling these sprig just kept coming in and landing in our ponds on both sides of the blind. A conservative estimate on numbers had to be in the thousands. We sat and chatted for about an hour while the sprig sat in the ponds and then the specks came over. We dumped a few specks and the massive flight of the sprig was on again. It always amazes me everytime I've gone out there that something like this happens. A once in a lifetime flight of birds, but it always seems to happen out there. Thanks Spy for the amazing hunt. Anytime you ever need help out there or at your house I will be available. elsinoreracer
Attachments
20111222081353.jpg
20111222081349.jpg
20111222075300.jpg
elsinoreracer
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to California Duck Hunting