DUCK CLUB RICE HUNTERS ONLY

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Re: DUCK CLUB RICE HUNTERS ONLY

Postby elsinoreracer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:02 pm

I just wanna thank the SPY for taking me out to his amazing honey hole in the rice. While others around the valley seem to have not seen a bird I managed to have pretty darn good hunting the 5 days I was out there. While it's true the birds that were in the valley have disappeared for now we still had pretty decent shoots. Amazing what 3,000 decoys and a good call can do. Just like anywhere else there are the ups and downs on any particular shoot day but we always seem to get more than a few birds. Thanks again SPY for the good times and amazing hunts. elsinoreracer :thumbsup:
elsinoreracer
hunter

Postby elsinoreracer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Oh and SPY after careful scientific research by the Colusa CSI unit it was determined that the speck died from a lethal brain tumor of #4 steel. The poor guy was dead when your BB's drilled his chest and wing.
elsinoreracer
hunter

Postby elsinoreracer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:53 pm

#10 at Delavan. Any good SPY?
elsinoreracer
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:35 pm

MR. ASS DEEP IN THE SNOW.......
10# AT DELEVAN,ON THE LAST SAT. OF THE DUCK SEASON,WILL GET YOU OUT OF THE SNOW AND FROZEN TUNDRA OF THE BACK SIDE OF THE SIERRAS.........BUT IF YOUR ASKING ME,I HAVENT BEEN THERE SINCE A VERY FOGGEY DEC. HUNT TWO YEARS AGO,[YOU KNOW THE ONE ,14 MALLARDS ,4SPECKS,AND 10 SNOWS]SO I DONT HAVE ANY RECENT INFO......#10 NOT GOOD ENOUGHT FOR ME TO GET UP EARLY,PLUS ITS LIMITS EVERY DAY FOR LASTWEEK OR SO IN MY BLIND,ALSO THATS A WORK DAY AS WE WILL BE BRINGING IN MOST OF THE SPREAD THAT WEEKEND,EXCEPT FOR 500 OR SO FOR THE JR. HUNT........

YOU COULD ASK FOR HELP ON THIS SITE.....[ITS ALOT LIKE HAVEING A PARDEN IN A WOMENS PRISON,STAND BACK AND WATCH THE CAT FIGHTS] ...........................YOUR BUDDY..........DUCKSPY...........................
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby elsinoreracer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:26 pm

I do remember the Delavan day. Dream hunt. Seems we've had a few of those all mallard days like at Sutter refuge or Little Dry Creek. But I would to say the best day I ever had was the limits of woodies in the jungle blind then doing the goose pit and limiting and then limiting on pheasants in the same day. Maybe I'll scan that picture and post it here. But the the swan hunts were the most rewarding for all the work we put into it during the 30 below snowstorm. We gotta do that again. Not sure if I will be coming on the resi at Delavan but if I do I'll make sure I'm there to help with the decoys. And I would like to get out of the snow for a few days. Later, have a good one :beer:
elsinoreracer
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:07 pm

FELLOW RICE FIELD DUCK HUNTERS.....FOR THE LAST COUPLE OF MONTHS OF DUCK SEASON ALOT OF TALK ON HERE ABOUT THE DOWN FALL OF HUNTING RICE FIELDS>>>>>TOO MUCH FLOODED FIELDS,TOO MANY BLINDS,TOO MANY CLOSED ZONES,YES ITS ALL TRUE.....SO MOST HUNTERS STILL SET UP THERE BLIND THE SAME WAY THEY DID WHEN THEY WERE THE ONLY WATER AROUND>>
THEN THEY PLUP THERE BACKSIDE IN THE BLIND,AND BITCH ABOUT HOW BAD IT IS ,AND PRAY FOR FOG....IVE BEEN PICKING UP AND CLEANING OUT BLINDS FOR THE LAST COUPLE WEEKS,IN GOOD AREAS,AND IN BAD....BUT WHAT I SEE IS THE SAME IN ALL THE BLINDS>>>THE SAME DECOY SETUP THATS BEEN A ROUND FOR YEARS,BLINDS THAT DONT HID THE HUNTER,OR IN MOST CASES THERE DOG,AND CHECKS THAT ARE NOT CLEANED OFF ,DOWN TO THE DIRT.......WHEN THINGS CHANGE,YOU HAVE TO CHANGE OR JUST SET AROUND AND BITCH ABOUT HOW BAD IT IS.....I HAD ANOTHER GREAT YEAR AND MOST BLINDS AROUND ME HAD THERE BEST YEARS....WHY BECAUSE THEY CHANGED THINGS THAT THEY SAW WERE WORKING IN MY BLIND AND DID THE SAME IN A SMALLER SCALE.....YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE THOUSANDS ON DECOYS,YOU JUST HAVE TO LET THE BIRDS FLYING OVER SEE THEM,SO GET THEM OFF THE CHECK,[THAT OLD WIVES TAIL ABOUT PUTTING DECOYS CLOSE ENOUGH TO SHOOT DUCKS ON THE OUTSIDE],IS WHAT MOST HUNTERS DO AND EVERY DUCK IN THE VALLEY HAVE SEEN IT OVER AND OVER,THEN IF YOU DONT CLEAN YOUR CHECK ,THERES NOT A DUCK THAT LANDS NEAR A HARRY CHECK,CAUSE THATS WARE ALL THE PREDATERS HID,INCLUDING HUNTERS.....LOOK AT ANY FLOODED RICE FIELD,DUCKS ARE ALLWAYS IN THE MIDDLE... YOU JUST HAVE TO CHANGE WITH THE TIMES OR JUST WATCH SUNRISES AND SUNSETS.....YOUR FRIEND .........DUCKSPY........
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby elsinoreracer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:17 pm

The SPY lives to post another day. Very surprised that you haven't been assaulted here on your post yet...I mean it's been up for over 12 hours now and no one has bothered to tell you your are full of....well you know what. Just glad I know the truth about your blind otherwise I might just be one of those mindless twits who are unbelievers and write something without a thought of using my pea brain. Hey when are you going to start with the wood duck stuff? Give me shout and let me know. I think my daughter Ricki wants to help as well. Take care, by the way how was the concert? :beer:
elsinoreracer
hunter

Postby Tommyo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:48 pm

I don't know about the Duckspy blind - but the post carries a proper mindset. i agree with that.
Find a way when there is no way.
Tommyo
hunter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:13 pm

I like it SPY!
join the Coot Crusaders!!!
Bootlipkiller
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:08 pm

I second the motion... Consider the gavel banged!
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Oops that's just ducks and geese...
duckdoa
hunter

Postby bojingles » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:28 pm

Question for the Duck Lord. I don't doubt the theory, in fact, I kind of like it. However, if you clean the check down to the dirt, how do you hide the blind? Make blind covers covered in mud? Seriously currious...
bojingles
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:09 am

We buy 40 bales of straw, the small ones and pull chunks if about 8 inches deep and lay them end to end to the blind. Lasts al year..
duckdoa
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:20 am

MR. BO,YOU CUT ALL THE JOHNSON GRASS,LEFT OVER RICE, ANOTHER WEEDS DOWN TO THE TOP OF THE V ON TOP OF THE RICE CHECK,[THE WHOLE LENGHT OF THE CHECK,MINDS A MILE LONG WITH THE BLIND IN THE MIDDLE] THEN WE PUT DOWN RICE STRAW BALE FLAKES FROM THE END OF THE CHECK ,TO 40 YARDS PASS THE BLIND[THIS IS TO HELP THE GUY ON THE END,KNOW HIS REACHOUT SHOT]WITH 2 OR3 LAYERS ALL AROUND THE BLIND TO HELP KEEP IT FROM MUDDING UP........
WE HAVE A 12FT 4 MAN BLIND[MUST 4 MAN TANKS ARE 10 FEET]WE YOUS HOMEMADE GIBSON BLIND COVERS>>3 6FT SECTIONS ON BOTH SIDES,SO WE HAVE ROOM FOR DOG BOXES IN THE GROUND ON BOTH SIDES AS THE COVERS EXTEN 3FT PASS THE BLIND ON BOTH ENDS>>>FOR DOG BOXS,GO TO LOWES AND BUY THE BLACK CEMENT PLASTEC MIXING TRAYS THEY DIG IT INTO THE END OF THE BLIND,PUT IN A LITTLE STRAW,AND THE DOGS COVERED AND HAPPY>>>>THEN ALL THE LEFTOVER RICE THAT YOU CUT OFF THE CHECK,WE USE TO COVER THE BLIND COVERS,AND ALL THE JOHNSON GRASS GETS PUT INTO BUNDLES TO COVER THE TOP OF THE BLINDS,TO MAKE THE HOLES SMALLER......WE SAVE ANOFF EXTRA RICE AND JOHNSON GRASS TO KEEP THE BLIND COVERED ALL YEAR AT THE END OF THE CHECK IN BIG BUDLES,ALONG WITH A FEW EXTRA BALES OF RICE STRAW[THIS YEAR WE USED 64 BALES]......IF YOU ARE ON THE NEXT CHECK EITHER NORTH OR SOUTH,YOU CANT TELL WEAR MY BLIND IS,[IF THERE WASNT ANY DECOYS]WE KILL ALOT OF OUR DUCKS RIGHT OVER OUR BLIND ON WHAT MOST OF THE REFUGE GUYS CALL SHOOTING THEM ON THE SWING,[THEY DONT KNOW WHAT HIT THEM]BUT THATS THE WAY I SET UP MY DECOYS>>>>>BUT THATS ANOTHER STORY....REMEMBER WHO HIDS THE BEST SHOOTS THE BEST...YOUR FRIEND ......DUCK......SPY......
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby Tommyo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:20 pm

What method for the cut?? sickle mower or harvester custom cut or some1 other way?
Tommyo
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:36 pm

MR. TOMMY......A SICKLE MOVER WORKS GREAT IF THE FIELDS NOT TO WET......THE PROBLEM IN OUR FIELD ITS A LATE HARVEST FIELD, SO FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS ITS BEEN STOMPED,CAUSE OF EARLY RAIN STROMS THAT MAKE THE HARVESTERS AND BANKOUT LEAVE 3 FOOT RUTS ALL OVER THE FIELDS,SO NO TRACTOR MOWERS CAN GET CLOSE TO THE CHECKS....SO ITS ME AND MY COLUSA COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL WORK CREW THAT WILL WORK FOR SHOTGUN SHELLS AND PIZZAS,AND A LITTLE MONEY ,THAT MY PARTERS PAY>>>>>>>GAS POWERED WEED WACKERS,TRIMMERS,AND BLADES USED WITH RAKES IN TEAMS OF TWO ...IT GOES REAL GOOD.....THAT IS ANOTHER REASON WE STRAW THE CHECK FROM THE END THAT WE COME IN FROM,AS THE FIELD IS STOMPED,AND THE CHECKS ARE 300 YARDS A PART....THE STRAW LETS YOU WALK IN AND OUT ALL YEAR AND NOT BREAK DOWN THE CHECK TO A MUDDY MESS........TO HAVE A BLIND THATS A SHOOTER ,YOU HAVE TO WORK AT IT ALL SEASON...

.........................YOUR FRIEND ...........DUCKSPY.....................
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby Tommyo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:51 pm

I hear you on that....I run a cut the same way with weedwhackers and place decoys on the check on about a 50 yard segment....sometimes 90 yards....but I leave my blind in the high grass.....I may put cuts on both sides of the blind and play it by ear going into next season...
Tommyo
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:46 pm

HOWDY FELLOW HUNTERS.........JUST THOUGHT I WOULD DROP A LINE OR TWO ABOUT THE FIVE DAY GOOSE SEASON IN MY PART OF THE WORLD....OPENING DAY,MY BLIND,60 FLOATING SPECKS AND ADOZEN SWANS....FIVE MINS.IN,A SINGLE RIGHT IN TO MY DIEING COYOTE CALL,[ALLRIGHT THIS IS GOING TO BE GOOD I THOUGHT]...WRONG.......IT TURNS OUT ALL THE GEESE WERE LANDING ON THE ROADS TO EAT THE GREEN GRASS.....GETTING OUT OF THE BLIND AT NOON GUEST CLIPS A SPECK AT ABOUT 80 YARDS...A HOUR HOUR LATER ,AND ABOUT 1/2 MILE AWAY I RAN IT DOWN.....I PICKED UP THE DOZEN SPECK CHECK DECOYS AND SET UP ON THE ROAD FOR THE NEXT DAYS HUNT......FIVE MINS. IN ANOTHER SINGLE SPECK RIGHT IN ,ANOTHER ONE SHOT KILL,THEY WE SCRAPED A SNOW IN THE HEAD AT ABOUT 70 YARDS,TWO HOURS LATER,SO WE CALLED IT A SESON AT MY BLIND AND PICKED UP THE REST OF THE DECOYS.....AT MY CLUB>>>SAT>>>4 BLINDS>>>8SPECKS....sUN>>>6 SPECKS 3 SNOWS 1 BANDED ROSS....MON>>>1 BLIND>>>2SPECKS...TUES>>>1 BLIND...4SNOWS...2 SPECKS.....WENSDAY...1 BLIND ...0BIRDS.....
I HUNTED THE OBRIEN RANCH TUES. AFTERNOON FOR 2 ROSS AND 1 SNOW.....AND WESDAY MORNING WE GOT NOTING......
FOR YOU THAT DONT KNOW THE OBRIEN RANCH IS THE NORTH BONDERTY OF SAC. REFUGE....I HATE TO SEE THE SEASON COME TO A END.....I HUNTED 65 DAYS OUT OF 105....SPENT THE FIRST TWO WEEKS IN MONTANA,THEN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS GETTING MY BLIND READY[HUNTING TWO OF MY BUDDYS BLINDS FOR TWO HUNT DAYS]BEFORE HUNTING MY BLIND FOR THE FRIST TIME ON NOV.11TH......ANYWAY IM TIRED....GETTING UP EARLY TO HUNT,AND STAYING UP LATE TO SERVICE THE FAT CHICKS,TAKES A TOLL ON YOU......YOUR FRIEND .........DUCKSPY........
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:42 pm

DUCKSPY wrote:HOWDY FELLOW HUNTERS.........JUST THOUGHT I WOULD DROP A LINE OR TWO ABOUT THE FIVE DAY GOOSE SEASON IN MY PART OF THE WORLD....OPENING DAY,MY BLIND,60 FLOATING SPECKS AND ADOZEN SWANS....FIVE MINS.IN,A SINGLE RIGHT IN TO MY DIEING COYOTE CALL,[ALLRIGHT THIS IS GOING TO BE GOOD I THOUGHT]...WRONG.......IT TURNS OUT ALL THE GEESE WERE LANDING ON THE ROADS TO EAT THE GREEN GRASS.....GETTING OUT OF THE BLIND AT NOON GUEST CLIPS A SPECK AT ABOUT 80 YARDS...A HOUR HOUR LATER ,AND ABOUT 1/2 MILE AWAY I RAN IT DOWN.....I PICKED UP THE DOZEN SPECK CHECK DECOYS AND SET UP ON THE ROAD FOR THE NEXT DAYS HUNT......FIVE MINS. IN ANOTHER SINGLE SPECK RIGHT IN ,ANOTHER ONE SHOT KILL,THEY WE SCRAPED A SNOW IN THE HEAD AT ABOUT 70 YARDS,TWO HOURS LATER,SO WE CALLED IT A SESON AT MY BLIND AND PICKED UP THE REST OF THE DECOYS.....AT MY CLUB>>>SAT>>>4 BLINDS>>>8SPECKS....sUN>>>6 SPECKS 3 SNOWS 1 BANDED ROSS....MON>>>1 BLIND>>>2SPECKS...TUES>>>1 BLIND...4SNOWS...2 SPECKS.....WENSDAY...1 BLIND ...0BIRDS.....
I HUNTED THE OBRIEN RANCH TUES. AFTERNOON FOR 2 ROSS AND 1 SNOW.....AND WESDAY MORNING WE GOT NOTING......
FOR YOU THAT DONT KNOW THE OBRIEN RANCH IS THE NORTH BONDERTY OF SAC. REFUGE....I HATE TO SEE THE SEASON COME TO A END.....I HUNTED 65 DAYS OUT OF 105....SPENT THE FIRST TWO WEEKS IN MONTANA,THEN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS GETTING MY BLIND READY[HUNTING TWO OF MY BUDDYS BLINDS FOR TWO HUNT DAYS]BEFORE HUNTING MY BLIND FOR THE FRIST TIME ON NOV.11TH......ANYWAY IM TIRED....GETTING UP EARLY TO HUNT,AND STAYING UP LATE TO SERVICE THE FAT CHICKS,TAKES A TOLL ON YOU......YOUR FRIEND .........DUCKSPY........

like always great story duck spy!
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:56 pm

...and that my friends is what they mean about the fat lady singing....someone had to get her to admit waterfowl season is finally over.
Only problem is I could hear her all the way in San Jose! Sounded more like laughing than singing. I wonder why?
Seriously though we had a decent year, a much better mix of birds, especially widgeons and specks. I loved the goose tacos and trying out some recipes from Hunter/ Angler/ Gardner Cook. As he puts it.. "Honest Food" and this guy is great reading/ cooking and instruction. He is also an ardent advocate for us hunters and educated many to the positives of our way of life.
I'm looking forward to next season already and adding more decoys per suggestion to pull them in from the upper stratosphere!
duckdoa
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:40 pm

HOWDY BOYS......THOUGHT I WOULD DROP EVERYONE OF MY FRIENDS A LINE OR TWO,ABOUT WHATS GOING ON IN THE TRI-COUNTY[COLUSA,GLENN,AND BUTTE]RICE FIELDS....TAKE THE POTLICKING HOUNDS OUT FOR A RUN EVERY AFTERNOON,AND TRY TO COVER AS MUCH AREA AS I CAN[10 TO 15 MILES ADAY] AND I CAN TELL YOU ITS PRETTY DRY ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE RIVER,IN FACT SOME GROUND BRAKING IS ALLREADY GOING ON.....THE EAST SIDE,IS STILL PRETTY WET...IN FACT WENT OUT AND PULLED THE DRAIN BROADS ON MY CLUB YESTERDAY,AS IT WAS IN THE GOV.PROGRAM TILL MARCH 1ST....NOT A LOT OF DUCKS AROUND OUTSIDE OF THE REFUGES,EXCEPT MALLARD PAIRS IN ALL THE DICHTS,AND SPECKS GRAZEING ON THE GREEN GRASS.....TO ALL OF YOU FOLKS THAT P.M. ABOUT DECOYS.......WHEN A DUCKHUNTER DIES,AND GETS INTO LINE AT THE PEARLEY GATES TO GET INTO HEAVEN,God SHOUTS OUT WHO HAS THE MOST DECOYS,AND IF YOU HAVE THE MOST,YOU GET IN FIRST TO SET UP YOUR SPREAD,ANY WHERE U WANT...... BUT YOU THEN GIVE UP THE REST OF YOUR DECOYS TO THE HUNTERS THAT DONT HAVE THE MINIMUM AMOUNT OF DECOYS TO GET INTO HEAVEN
[I THINK THE MINIMUM IS 500 DECOYS FOR A HEAVEN RICE FIELD BLIND......I THINK ITS 2 DOZEN FOR A FREE ROAM AREA IN HELL].....................................

I THINK I HAVE AROUND 12000 NOW AS I HAVE PICKED UP MORE SINCE THE SEASON HAS ENDED.....

NO I DONT SELL ANY OF MY DECOYS,AS I USE MOST OF THEM EVERY YEAR TO HELP OUT BUDDYS BLINDS,AND THIS COMING YEAR ILL BE SETTING UP I FEW BLINDS AND RENTING THE DECOYS OUT ON A PER BLIND SEASON........
.......................................YOUR FRIEND ........DUCKSPY.........
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby elsinoreracer » Tue May 21, 2013 12:42 pm

Mr DUCKSPY where are you? Miss your wit and genius here. Nobody complaining or whining about your CAPS on all the time or the non-believers who have never been to a blind such as yours. Post something please, maybe it will take my mind off all this crappy spring weather here. It snowed on Friday. Have a good one. Give me a yell sometime. :beer:
elsinoreracer
hunter

Postby elsinoreracer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:52 am

Spy! It's the end of summer. Give me a call or get your ass over over to fish. Have a good one!
elsinoreracer
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:09 am

MR. RACER.....IM STILL HERE JUST BEEN BUSY DOING RECON AT THE LOCAL WATERING HOLES FOR LADYS WITH HUNTING RIGHTS

ALSO BEEN USEING MY GODS GIVEN TALENTS TO MAKE A FEW EXTRA BUCKS FOR THE HUNTINGS SEASONS,GOING TO MONTANA FOR 3 OR 4 WEEKS TO DO SOME DEER AND UPLAND SHOOTING AND TO DO SOME MEAT CUTTING[1 STEER AND 1 HOG THIS YEAR]
JR. LIVES WITH ME NOW AS HE GOT A JOB AT JOHNS MANVILLE MAKING GOOD MONEY[CUTS IN TO MY ALONE WITH FEMALES TIME] .....BUT HE PAYS RENT.....DUCK HUNTING LOOKS GOOD IN ALL THE RIGHT PLACES THIS YEAR WITH EARLY HARVEST AND NO WATER ISSUES FOR US........IM THINKING ABOUT NEVADA FOR ASWAN HUNT THIS YEAR,YOU IN?

YOUR FRIEND DUCKSPY
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby elsinoreracer » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Very interesting, a swan hunt. Been awhile since we"ve gone and got to tell the tales of the great tundra vs. trumpeter swan excursion. I may even be up towards our area and could do some investigation on that. I would be interested. Give me a call. I have been super busy, lost a lot of summer to illness, in the hospital twice once for 8 days. Thank God for my insurance, the talking duck and our wonderful state who provided me with the bare minimum in disability. see ya.
elsinoreracer
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:29 am

So how goes it Duckspy? You read for the season? When is the spread going out? Any changes on the horizon? More or less decoys?

Always like to hear your scouting report on opening day predictions in your area.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to California Duck Hunting