DUCK CLUB RICE HUNTERS ONLY

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

DuckDOA

Postby iKnowHowItIs » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:58 pm

it would not be too hard to spot the DuckSpy. Walk into the bar, close your eyes, and just follow the loudest BSer that you here!!! As you get close, you will start to smell a combination of both genuine Bull crap, and the manly man oder of a guy not taking a shower for a week. If you get close enough, you may smell the scent of the rectum of his dog. But you will probably have to kneel down about waist high to get a whif of that.

One suggestion I have for you rice hunters that think about putting a 2 or 3 thousand decoy spread out in a marginal location. It will produce early on and on migration days, storm days, etc. But come late December, January, if notice, all big flocks of birds group in oval shaped patterns, center water. No where near the checks. Birds from Alaska to the California Valley, for months, have seen butterfly and X patterns. By January, good luck with these patterns. You have enough decoys to fill up the space between checks, leave 30 yards out front of your blind clear of decoys. When the birds skirt the dekes, lights out!!!!! If you have the energy to go out and move 3000 dekes, midseason, you will be rewarded. Keep in mind wind patterns when you put all your dekes on one side of the check. Or split them up on both sides if your not sure. Watch flight patterns before the deke move.

Happy hunting!
iKnowHowItIs
Newb

Re: DUCK CLUB RICE HUNTERS ONLY

Postby friedcoot » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:27 am

O'Mordha wrote:I'm about to helicopter and drop kick everyone in this thread.

In proper English" I'm going to restart my computer and then drop it" Dude, its a forum. Is this how you behave in the field?
friedcoot
hunter

Postby O'Mordha » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:05 pm

No, in the field, I do not engage in any hand to hand combat. I use the force, well, it's more of a combination of the force and focus time from the matrix.
Blood Brothers - Gang Affiliated
O'Mordha
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:09 am

Big storm coming this weekend (18th).
Ducks will be flying and dropping in for dinner....
I wonder how many of those 2000 decoys will end up on your far check, can anyone tell me how much weight to put on to keep my decoys from tangling or blowing away? I have had problems in the past. Some people say to step on the weight to anchor them? Does anyone do that?
Keep your eye on the sky, and remember spoonies is ducks too......

Duck D.O.A.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Oops that's just ducks and geese...
duckdoa
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Before 3 bird gang rigs on 10lb. dyed cement blocks, I used a 8 oz. mushroom hand poured lead weight. The molds can be purchased from Do-It molds. I used tanglefree line and tied with a bowline knot and a overhand on the ends. The bowline allowed for some movement. Both weight and decoy got the bowline. If your in a hurry, you can use 16oz. beer cups , cement, and solid copper wire.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:42 pm

HOWDY BOYS, BACK FOR XMAS BREAK. HAVE SOME TIME AND AN OPEN COMPUTER AND THOUGHT I WOULD DROP YOU A LINE. FIRST OF ALL, STOMP FIELDS SUCK FOR THE DUCK HUNTER WITHOUT A DOG. HAVE LOST 20 LBS COLLECTING DUCKS AND GEESE ABOUT. BUT, THE DUCKS AND GEESE LOVE IT. I HAVE HUNTED 25 OF THE LAST 27 DAYS, WITH A VERY GOOD BLIND AVERAGE. THE BEST DAY WAS SUNDAY 12/12 THE FOG CAME IN OVERNIGHT AND THE BIRDS GOT LOST AND COULDN'T FIND THE CLOSED ZONES. 12 MALLARDS, 2 BULL SPRIG, 7 TEAL, 4 SPEC'S & 11 SNOWS BY 9:30. WE DID THIS WITH A HANGOVER AND CRAB SHITS FROM THE CWA CRAB FEED AT THE COLUSA FAIR GROUNDS. NEEDLESS TO SAY OUR RICE CHECK TOOK A POUNDING THAT DAY. A FEW TIPS I HAVE PICKED UP OVER THE LAST MONTH, ROBO DUCKS ARE NOT AS EFFECTIVE AS THE USE TO BE. THE DUCKS COME DOWN TO 60 YDS LOOK AROUND AND BOOGIE. WE USE 2 WIND DUCKS 100 YDS UPWIND DURING WINDY DAYS. THE BIRDS LOCK ON TO THE WIND DUCKS, PASS OVER THE BLIND AND DON'T KNOW WHAT HIT THEM. OTHER THAN WINDY DAYS WE DON'T USE ANY WINGED DECOYS BECAUSE GEESE FLAIR FROM THEM AND WE CALL AND SHOOT A LOT OF GEESE. ALSO, SWAN DECOYS WORK VERY WELL IF PLACED IN THE RIGHT SPOT OF YOUR DECOY SPREAD. I HAVE NOTICED A LOT MORE SPEC'S AND SNOW'S WORKING THE SWAN DECOYS OVER MY 100 FLOATING GOOSE DECOYS. I BOUGHT A DOZEN AT KITTLES AS SOON AS I HEARD THEY GOT THEM IN FROM TANGLEFREE. ALSO, BIG MIGRATION MONDAY 12/12 FROM THE NORTH BUTE SINK FLYING SOUTH ALL MORNING IN BIG GROUPS. WENT TO CHICO ON TUES. NO DUCKS ON Z/7 MILE LANE OR THE MIDWAY COMING BACK. JUST A LOT OF GEESE, SWANS AND A FEW SPRIG. WILL BE HOME FOR A FEW MORE DAYS THEN BACK FOR MY LAST WEEK OF HUNTING.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD SHOOT NEXT TIME OUT.
YOUR FRIEND, DUCKSPY
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:55 pm

So you did best in the fog? You still think all those decoys helped you? I'm doing best with fewer but larger decoys and more flashers and splashers.
Personally, they should be banned. But, as long as their legal, I will follow the crowds....cause it works.
P.S. I never saw this impressive spread you speak of, theres one with maybe 800 in your location and honestly, it looks like a bunch of ducks at attention and the trail to the blind is pretty bright with that fresh straw.
Stopped by Butte City Bar 2 weeks ago on a Friday night....DUDE! its pretty bad and ready for a raid with those red light girls. Not my speed for sure. I'm just being honest here. Am I mistaken?
And ditto on the Merry Christmas!!!
friedcoot
hunter

Postby #4Buckshot » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:31 pm

YOU HAVE TO SPEAK-UP FRIEDCOOT CAUSE I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!
#4Buckshot
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:35 am

DEAR MR. COOT...DONT WE ALL WISH FOR THOSE GOOD FOGGEY DAYS, YOU SHOULD IF YOUR HUNTTING A DRY RICE FIELD AROUND MAXWELL CAUSE THAT SHOULDBE ONE OF YOUR BEST DAYS....LET ME SAT THE RECORD STRAIT,IM A HARD WORKING SINGLE FATHER OF TWO, FOR 10 1/2 MONTHSOF THE YEAR,SAME JOB 33 YEARS, SO I GET 6 WEEKS VACATION THAT I TAKE ALL AT ONCE,DURING THE BEST HUNTING TIME OF THE YEAR,THANKSGIVING TO NEW YEARS. IM NOT A RICH SOB THAT OWNS MY BLIND IN THE SINK,ITS ALL I CAN DO TO PAY MY SHARE OF A 10,000 BLIND AND MAKE A HOUSE PAYMENT,IM JUST A REG. JOE...IM NOT A BAD GUY BECAUSE I HUNT OVER 2,500 DECOYS,AND IF YOU HAVE EVER HUNTED OVER THEM YOU WOULD KNOW..I STARTED HUNTING 40 YEARS AGO ON TWO MILE ROAD,IN THE RICHMOND HUNTING CLUB,AT THE PIG BARNS,SO I KNOW ALL ABOUT DRY FIELD HUNTING,DAD DIED WHEN I WAS 16 SO MY MOM GOT ME AND MY BROTHER IN AMERICAN SPORTSMEN CLUB,SO WE HUNTED THERE AND LEARNED ALL THE REFUGES,SO LET ME TELL YOU I HAVE HUNTED THEM ALL AND HAVE DONE VERY WELL OVER THE YEARS,IT JUST GETS TO A POINT WHERE YOU WANT TO GET UP IN THE MORNING,DRINK SOME COFFE, HAVE BREKFEST ,DRIVE TO PARKING LOT ,GO TO BLIND AND SHOOT DUCKS....I HAVE JUST BEEN ABLE TO DO WHAT MOST PEOPLE WISH THEY COULD DO.....TRUTH BE KNOW OUR BLIND SHOOTS GOOD IN BLUEBIRD WEATHER, IF YOU HAVE BEEN HUNTING THE LAST MONTH NOT ALOT OF THOSE DAYS LATELY...ON THE DAY BEFORE THAT FOGGEY SUN. TOOK MY PARTNERS SON BACK TO TRUCK AT 11AM JUST WHEN SUN CAME OUT,ME AND HIS DAD GOT BACK TO BLIND AT 1210,BY 230PM,4 PINTAILS,7 TEAL,AND 3WIEGON...HOW MANY TEAL DO ANYONE SHOOT AFTER 12NOON??? ONE MORE WEEK OF HUNTINGFOR ME.DUCKSPY
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby Filson » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:36 pm

friedcoot wrote:Stopped by Butte City Bar 2 weeks ago on a Friday night....DUDE! its pretty bad and ready for a raid with those red light girls. Not my speed for sure. I'm just being honest here. Am I mistaken?
And ditto on the Merry Christmas!!!

Hey nothin wrong w/red light girls. It adds a little life to the place, and brings back memories of the old days, Good ole Butte City, or Butt City :lol3:
I love animals! They're Delicious!
Filson
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Hope you are getting ducks and spending some bucks at the Butt City bar,
where you have to have some $$ to get very far
Cuz' if you aint got no money
you won't get no honey.....
so you might as well go home and be all alone
and suck the meat off that drake spoonie bone,
then you'll go to sleep and wake up too early
get to the rice and pretend to be burly,
stare at the sky and wonder why
the girl in the bar you stared at from afar,
went out with the young buck from Chico State
gave you the cold shoulder and sealed your fate
but at least you didn't have to stay up too late.....
we hunters would rather get up early than spend too much time with some flea bag girly....
to have the opportunity to bag a few fowl,
no matter the weather we work hard to ruffle a feather
it's our passion, just to watch the ducks come a crashin'.....
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :hi:
duckdoa
hunter

Postby sprighunter67 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:54 pm

That had to be a TYPO. No one sets that many decoys out...even rags. I fly over the Valley way too much and the largest was maybe 600...it also had 4 blinds (that I could see) around the perimeter. By the way, if I can see your blind, so can the ducks, esp. if you don't cover your face.

Really thats the most you have ever seen i just hunted a blind yesterday with 1500 decoys.
sprighunter67
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi, I have been suprised at how much most people can't count decoys in a blind. Who hasn't sat in a blind and started counting deeks during a lull in the action?
I believe in quantity before quality. The decoy manufactures make deeks to look good to us. As long as you have some good color and your best decoys on the perimiter, you will get any duck to come in. Throw in a few goose decoys and a confidence decoy or 2 and wallah, you have a good rice spread. Don't forget to put some check deeks out, as that is where the ducks are in the afternoon, right?
I love the guys who only put out 300 to 400 deeks, they are my best friends..
duckdoa
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:16 pm

Then I must be your BFE because I only but out 18 super mag mallards and do just fine. And I'm not worried about end of season pickup :biggrin:
friedcoot
hunter

Postby zink freak » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:00 pm

At our club by delevan most guys have around 500,it looks like.We only have 250,we lost half in a flood last year.It looks like more is better.
zink freak
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Ok, here we go:
MR. Coot, I never have worried about picking up deeks because all of the people that have killed ducks over my bigger spread love to help to assure or thank me in advance for some great shooting. It takes 4 men about 2 hours to pick them up, throw them in a boat (5 loads), take them to the trailer waiting in the lot and we are gone...well worth it... did I mention that we start pulling a few out 2 weeks ahead to lesson the load (mostly geese).
Monday 2 of us shot 14 good ducks, 6 snows and 5 specks. And you Coot killer????
duckdoa
hunter

Postby Filson » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:48 pm

Hell, thank God for the good Ole Butte City Club, and the Friday-Saturday night girls. I guess, we tipped so well that the Red light girls wanted to find out what is was all about, and the rest is History with decoy pickup! :lol3:
I love animals! They're Delicious!
Filson
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:20 pm

duckdoa wrote:Ok, here we go:
MR. Coot, I never have worried about picking up deeks because all of the people that have killed ducks over my bigger spread love to help to assure or thank me in advance for some great shooting. It takes 4 men about 2 hours to pick them up, throw them in a boat (5 loads), take them to the trailer waiting in the lot and we are gone...well worth it... did I mention that we start pulling a few out 2 weeks ahead to lesson the load (mostly geese).
Monday 2 of us shot 14 good ducks, 6 snows and 5 specks. And you Coot killer????

Not so good. Winged a ringneck a few weeks back. coyote food I suppose.
friedcoot
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:42 pm

HOWDY FELLOW HUNTERS,THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE YOU GUYS AN END OF THE SEASON REPORT OF WHAT ITS LIKE TO HUNT WITH OVER 2500 DECOYS. AWESOME... AS RICE AUGER QUOTED ON THIS THREAD "THE PROBLEM IS MOST DUCK HUNTERS DON'T KNOW WHAT GOOD DUCK HUNTING IS", BUT I DO NOW... EVERYONE THAT HAS HUNTED MY BLIND TELLS ME THAT IT'S AS GOOD AS ANY PROFESSIONAL GUIDE BLIND. BUT, THEY HAVE TO PUT UP WITH ME AND ALL MY WOMANIZING STORIES AND BAD JOKES. I HAVE HUNTED THE BLIND 41 DAYS WITH A DOUBLE DIGIT AVERAGE. I'VE HUNTED WITH 56 DIFFERENT PEOPLE, INCLUDING LOTS OF TEENAGERS WITHOUT THEIR DAD'S (SO THE KIDS CAN LEARN SOMETHING OUTSIDE OF THEIR DADS BAD INFLUENCES). THE PINTAIL VORTEX THING HAPPENS EVERY DAY. WITH SUCH BIG WATER ANDTHE WAY WE SET UP THE DECOYS THE DUCKS THINK ITS A CLOSE ZONEAND DROP DOWN FROM OUTER SPACE...WE QUIT USING ROBO RIGHT AWAY,AS IT DOESNT HELP...WITH TWO PULL CORDS AND A LITTLE CALLING WE GET THEM IN OUR FACE FOR EASY SHOTS FROM A WELL HIDDEN BLIND THAT TAKES ALOT OF WORK TO KEEP IT THAT WAY...ME AND MY 3 PARTNERS HAVE SHOT OUR 10 CASES OF 23/4 FASTSTEEL THAT WE BUY TOGETHER ,[SO WE ALL SHOOT THE SAME SHELLS IN THE BLIND],SO WE WENT TO KITTLES AND BOUGHT 10 MORE CASES OF THE 3INCH ALL PURPOSE ON SALE FOR 95.26 A CASE OUT THE DOOR,A LITTLE SLOWER THEN FASTSTEEL, SO WE JUST AJUST THE LEAD A LITTLE AND ITS ALL GOOD....MOST THE OTHER 10 BLINDS ON THE CLUB DECIDED TO GO BIG SPREADS ALSO[500 TO 1200 DECOYS], WE SHOULD BREAK 3000 BIRDS FOR THE CLUB THIS YEAR....BIG MIGRATION NIGHT OF JAN.6TH IN OUR AREA ,DUCKS PRETTY EASY TO COME BY EVER SINCE,TODAY 28 DUCKS 5 GEESE DONE BY 1PM...
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:22 pm

SORRY ABOUT THE WAY THE LAST ONE ENDED , IM NOT VERY GOOD AT THIS,SO WHAT YOU GET IS WHAT YOU GET.....I READ ALL THE CHAT ON THIS SITE BUT DONT SAY MUCH ,BUT JUDGEING FROM THE PMS I GET AND THE NUMBER OF HITS I GETON MY THREAD MAYBE I WILL GET ONE OF MY GIRLS FROM THE WORLD FAMOUS BUTTE CITY BAR TO TAKE DICKTATION AND TYPE FOR ME ON THIS WEBSITE,SO ALL MY BUDDYS OUT THERE CAN PICK MY BRAIN FOR NEED TO KNOW INFO FROM A RICE MASTER....JUST SO YOU KNOW MOST GUYS WITH POWER BLINDS WOULDNT EVEN SHARE THE INFO I SHARED WITH YOU GUYS...BUT I LIKE PEOPLE,MOST DUCK HUNTERS,COLLEGE GIRL STRIPPERS,FAKE BOBBIES,O SORRY WONDERED OFF THERE FOR A MINUTE.......I WILL BE HUNTING ONE OF MY HONEY HOLES AT A BUTTE COUNTY REFUGE THIS WEEKEND,THANKS TO BUDDY WITH TOP FIVE RESI.....LOOKING FOR 7 MALLARD LIMIT ,AS MY BLIND HAS SHOT LESS THAN 100 MALLARDS FOR FIRST TIME EVER.......AND WE HAVE NOT SHOOT LESS THEY 10 MALLARDS IN OUR HONEY HOLE EVER.......BUT HAVE HAD SCOUTS OUT AND IT IS STILL THERE AND PRODUCEING..THATS IT FOR KNOWGUYS...YOU GUYS ALL HAVE A GOOD LAST HUNT OR TWO ...........YOUR FRIEND DUCKSPY.....
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:31 am

Allright Duckspy, we get it.... you must have a great location near a refuge and spend some big bucks for those ducks....
I am glad you and your many friends can shoot more ducks than most of us, I have went into the Butte City bar and looked for you twice so I can kiss your ass and maybe go out and see your spread.
I will keep trying since it looks like you are doing well there. I am always willing to learn and better yet, have a good time shooting. THX for the update.
Sincerely,
Duckspy JR.
duckdoa
hunter

Postby Gomerking » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:12 pm

Duckspy, you are definitely the Dirk Diggler of this forum.

Be careful with all of those tennage boys in your blind, though. Folks might start talking. :clapping:

Gomerking
Earning Your Respect One Post at a Time

Dacowboy wrote:Jesus christ it's like the last day on Fiji with you guys on here.
Gomerking
hunter

Postby DUCKSPY » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:38 pm

WOW A DIRK DIGGLER REFENCE,YOU HAVE BEEN TALKING TO THE GIRLS IN BUTTE CITY........BUT I THINK OF MY SELF AS A NOT SO HAIREY RON JERAMEY,YOU KNOW ,IF YOU DONT DO IT RIGHT,ILL DO IT MYSELF!!!!!!WELL ENDED THE SEASON WITH 3 JR. LIMITS ON SAT.& A HALF DOZONSPECKS...FINSHED PICKING UP DECOYS SAT.AFTERNOON WITH ONE OF THE JR.S DADS BIKE ROLLING IN TO DEEP DITCH,[WHILE IT WAS RUNNING,NOT GOOD]..DID YOU KNOW THAT A 350 KAW QUAD FLOATS WHEN ITS UPSIDE DOWN IN DEEP WATER....ALSO ONE OF MY 12FT ALUIM BOATS FLEW OUT OF ANOTHER KIDS PICKUP TRUCK THAT MORNING AT 6AM AND WAS RUN OVER BY NOT ONE BUT TWO RICETRUCKS GOING THE OTHER WAY AT 60 MILES AHOUR AND NEVERSLOWED DOWN OR STOPPED!!!!!I KNOW BECAUSE IT HAPPENED 1/2 MILE IN FRONT OF ME,YOU KNOW SPARKS FLYING,HEADLIGHTS JUMPING...SO I STOPPED AND DRUG THE BIG ALUIM CAN OFF THE ROAD ,BUT BEFORE WE COULD GET BACK TO IT AFTER THE HUNT,SOME OF BUTTE COUNTYS TOOTHLESS POP. GOT TO IT FIRST.....THE KID DIDNT EVEN KNOW THE BOAT WASNT IN HIS TRUCK WHEN I GOT THERE... IT WAS MY BEST SEASON EVER.....BEEN IN THE RICE SINCE 1985 ANDBEEN HUNTING 45YEARS....WE HAD ADOUBLE DIGIT AVERG. FOR THE BLIND FOR THE WHOLE SEASON WITH NOT ONE SKUNK......I WILL BE WRITING MORE THAT IM NOT HUNTING [51 DAYS THIS YEAR] GIVEING YOU GUYS SOME HEADS UP STUFF THAT I THINK WILL HELP THE DUCK CLUB RICE HUNTER ONLY... THANKS YOUR FRIEND DUCKSPY...
DUCKSPY
hunter

Postby Nobirds » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:17 am

Calm down on the caps lock??? :fingerpt: :fingerpt: :fingerpt:
Nobirds
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:56 am

Nobirds go back to the begining of this post and you will learn about the caps for duckspy!!
OGblackcloud
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to California Duck Hunting