Looking For Duck Club

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Looking For Duck Club

Postby yasha2 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:16 pm

3 Duck hunters looking for a new club. Prefer central valley grasslands or
Suisan Marsh/Grizzly Island area. Interested in either yearly membership, buyin membership, or possible purchase.
yasha2
Newb

Postby ihuntducks » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:14 pm

Try Wilderness Unlimited, they have clubs all throughout the state. Its kinda pricey but if you hunt alot its worth it. I think they have a wab site.
hold still.....................hold still........................ TAKE 'EM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ihuntducks
State Moderator

Look into it good!

Postby jduck1 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:52 am

A friend joined Wilderness Unlimited. He was not happy with it at all. Yes they have lots of places but not many shoot well. The ones that do are booked all the time. You can only book one place at a time. If you want to munt before that date you need to cancel the reservation you have to do it. That means to hunt the good clubs you have to skip a week+ at times of hunting? When he would call on info for the different clubs the people giving the info didn't give him much. He sold his membership off the following year.

Good luck!
jduck1
hunter

Postby ihuntducks » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:07 pm

How can it be booked all the time if you can only make one reservation at a time? I just booked for my whole vacation the WHOLE week. I had no problems. You just have to be on top of it. I live in So. CA where the spots are few and far between anyway. So far I have had no problems. Its better than the option of joining one club and being stuck at one place, at least this way I can hunt all over Cali. Its up to you.......
Good Luck
hold still.....................hold still........................ TAKE 'EM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ihuntducks
State Moderator

Postby antlers008 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:28 pm

I have had a few freinds in this club with nothing but lousy results.I think the people with conctacts get the better fields.They were in it for three years and rarely fired a shot.I,m not dogging it that much but this is all i have heard about it.
antlers008
Newb

Postby jduck1 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:17 am

ihuntducks!

I am only giving information on his experience. I kept close tabs on his experience because I have been looking to get off the refuge system and get into a club. WU is inexpensive compared to a 4 man tank so it was worth looking into it. My friend did stay ontop of things and was very frustrated. Maybe things are better down south? I am galde you are happy with it so far.

Good luck!
jduck1
hunter

Postby ihuntducks » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:48 am

I shot 5 ducks my first time hunting there. It defitnatly has its disadvantages if you are new. Like not knowing which ranch to hunt, or which blind to shoot. I can say I am not unhappy, however they could have a hotline to tell you which areas are good and which are not. I got Lucky and met some guys that have been members for 10+ years and they gave me the lowdown. I appreciate all your feedback and comments, both positive and negative. Thats what we are here for.
ihuntducks
State Moderator

Postby ihuntducks » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:51 am

Believe me, I am not trying to pimp Wilderness Unlimited on anyone. It just has its advantages in So. Cal where the hunting areas are few and far between. Hell if it was up to me, I would move to MA. where my wife is from and bang Sea Ducks all day. Now Thats fun..... :mrgreen:
ihuntducks
State Moderator

Postby PinTeal » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:01 am

ihuntducks wrote:Believe me, I am not trying to pimp Wilderness Unlimited on anyone. It just has its advantages in So. Cal where the hunting areas are few and far between. Hell if it was up to me, I would move to MA. where my wife is from and bang Sea Ducks all day. Now Thats fun..... :mrgreen:

Drive to Corona...hunt behind Prado Dam...at the 91 and the 71. Huntin' in flooded timber right now. My pops has been hunting there for over 20 years now...and I have been going there since I was a youngin as well...atleast 15 years (I am 21 now).

If you'd like any information....I can give you the "managers contact info."

I'm at school in Sacramento and hunting a rice field this year. I am only hunting saturdays because of work =( But the opener my friend and I shot 6...2 smilin' mallards, 2 teal, and two mallards...we should have been damn near limited. This past saturday...shot the only 2 ducks to come in.

To the author of this post...I can check to see if my rice field has an open blind if you'd like. I'd guess it's about 10 miles south of the Beauts on the West side of Sutter's Refuge.

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby mdhuntfish » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:00 pm

Ok I am going to light some fires on my first day. Sorry

Frist if you are not a member of WU or have not ever been a member of WU. You do not now that in the hell you are talking about! secant hand information is like a reel good stock tip, they don't happen.

I have been hunting ducks for over 25 years, I have hunted the sea, BLM, Fefuges and I have belonged to a lot of other clubs over the years, so I now what is out there and I can say WU.
Is as good as it gets!!!

for the guy how has a friend how could never get on, ya right. so far this year to date I have hunted Ducks 18 days All on WU Clubs from Colusa to El Centro. and I nomally don't make my Res. intail the day or two before I hunt. Your freind must of had his hart set on just one proporty and just one blind. you have to do some home work and scout them out. and if you don't get your first choice thats ok you only have about 400 blinds to choise from. there is not that many duck hunter in the club, infact I would say on most of my hunts there is only one to 3 other blinds taken (can't get on, ya right)

here is the bottom line, if you do your home work and learn the diffrent clubs you will always get to on and get good blinds the rest is up to you to hit them.

I hope I did not pis any one off on my first day.

if I did I am sorry but if you are going to give advice it should be first hand. becuase we all have a freind that had a bad trip when we had a good one. :thumbsup:
mdhuntfish
hunter

Postby jduck1 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:41 pm

If it works for you great. For the money you have to pay and the time it will take to "figure" it all out you can get a good club blind and be done with it! I did not get this information second hand. My friend and I have hunted together for 20 yrs. I went on a couple hunts with him and had bad shoots. No one on the 2 clubs we hunted shot a thing. One day we hunted the AM and shot one bird. Picked up and sweat lined Gray Lodge and limited out on Mallards and Widgeon in 1 1/2 hours. And Gray Lodge was only 10-15 miles away.

I am not going to argue with you as this topic is dead. It has been talked about over and over again. Just giving you my "first hand" experience and that of my best friend who was so frustrated he hasn't gone back.

At least we have provided information for both sides. MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICE and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :umm:
jduck1
hunter

Postby mdhuntfish » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:51 pm

[quote="antlers008"]I have had a few freinds in this club with nothing but lousy results.I think the people with conctacts get the better fields.They were in it for three years and rarely fired a shot.I,m not dogging it that much but this is all i have heard about it.[/quote]

(I think the people with conctacts get the better fields.)Wrong::::
First come, first served. and that is way a member needs to now, all of the club's in there area and which blinds shoot better.
this is way, if you are not in the club or have not never been in the club you sould stay off the supject.
mdhuntfish
hunter

Postby jduck1 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:07 am

I think you are taking this way too personal. If you like it GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!! :hammering:

Let others say their peace. Just like I can't change your mind about how great this is you can't change others who don't like it and have had a bad experience. :thumbsup:

You can post all day log on this topic and the response will be mixed. Sometimes we need to take in information and see it as that "Just Information".

Again I am happy :smile: you are having a great time!! Good luck this season and let this topic go.

IT'S OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:
jduck1
hunter

Postby mdhuntfish » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:52 am

ha, I am not taking this personally this is a chat room right????

I am just giving you my experiences.

ya, if I only went a few time to hunt and not scout, I am sure I would not have had such good sucess eather, if I did not do my home work. scouting is everything.

I can not say one bad thing about the Gray Lodge. I like it and it shoots well and if you hit it right, it is real hard to beat.
mdhuntfish
hunter

Postby jduck1 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:07 am

Thanks for the information!!! :hammering:

Time to move on too another topic :thumbsup:
jduck1
hunter

Check out his RE agent.

Postby GGC » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:36 am

I don't know this guy and most of the best club memberships are sold on a private basis and would never need advertising, but it is a place to start.

http://www.macbride.com/macb/macb_dkm.htm
GGC
hunter

Postby huntergatherer » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:24 pm

looks like i stumbled into a cool place. Im going duck hunting for the first time this weekend,salton sea. I have lived withen earshot of the prado dam for more than 20 years. I always wondered where those shots were coming from. I figured it was always the dairymen shooting crows. The canada geese and ducks are pretty thick in that river. where is it that you can legaly hunt there? I would love too know...I have been quail crazy for a while and am looking to expand my horizions....
huntergatherer
Newb

Return to California Duck Hunting