Duck Hunting Forum banner

Looking for some help with Wounded Warriors

13K views 63 replies 24 participants last post by  FMFdevildoc 
#1 ·
I am volunteering with a non-profit organization called the Fregoso Foundation to set up a duck or goose hunt for some of our wounded warriors from the gulf.

I have been a part of some of these previous trips and they are absolutely incredible to see the smiles of these men and women that have given so much for our freedom. Max Fregoso started this foundation over a year ago as a way to get these hero's out in the field and their minds off of the past. The foundation also works with The Wounded Warrior project to get the vets involved in some of these trips. Please check out the foundation at this link, http://www.fregosofoundation.org/

What we are looking for is either a club or guide to donate a hunt for 4 wounded vets and 2 reps from the Foundation, I would be one rep and Max Fregoso would be the other. So this would be 6 total people, 2 four man tanks would work or a field setup. These men and women can get around pretty good, but there may be some help needed to get them out to the blind or field. This trip is tax deductible and will provide the donator a smile for a long time to come. The Foundation will take care of all transportation, lodging etc., we need the hunt to be provided, and it is covered under the Foundation for liability.

Also if any of you chat members would like to recommend a warrior that would benefit from such a trip that would be great and you can let me know. Some wounds are obvious like a missing limb; others are not quite so obvious such as ptsd.

I have provided articles for past trips to WON and the Fish Sniffer and would send one in on this trip also. My son Brett Miller will also be one of the 4 hunters and you can see his story from a CNN interview at this link.

Maybe you know someone that may be interested in donating and could pass this on to them. Thanks for reading this and I hope you check out the links, God Bless,

Mitch.

See less See more
#3 ·
If you need any help with military stuff let me know (paperwork, regs, services, numbers, etc). I am still in and have access to the CA National Guard State HQ. I went out to help last year in Glenn Co but didnt get to meet any of the 'guys'. If you need any help at all just PM me, I will walk their gear out, provide a ride, a dog, cook, listen, talk or anything else that they could need that I am able to provide. Wish I could do more!

And from this combat vet let me just say Thank You for helping!

#5 ·
fishenmitch said:
Thank you doc and Lngbrdr, that means a lot, this is such a great thing to be a part of, heck lets raise the bar and see if we can get a couple of different donors and get 8 wounded warriors in the marsh.
100% with you friend. Let me know what I can do, I am in Rocklin so I have easy access to the Sac airport and the Sac fuges. A friend of mind has some rice blinds out in district 10, I will hit him up.
Whatever, whenever you call it and I will do all I can! Wish I was still in a club so I could offer up my seats.

#6 ·
PFC Justin Casillas from Dunnigan, California, 3rd Bn 509th PIR, KIA - 4 Jul 2009

Thought I would share a TRUE HERO's name. I will never forget that 4th of July nor the Honor of getting to serve with some of the finest Warriors this Nation has. Maybe some of my fellow Hunters will give a little nod or remember this brave kid when we are hunting in or near Dunnigan.
Gone but not forgotten...

4-25 OEF Memorial vid

News story and footage from that day

#7 ·
Mitch,
Send me a PM with date range of when you were thinking about for the extra hunt. Pretty sure I can get 2 rice blinds district #10 area.

#9 ·
If you ever want to do an archery shoot in the bay area for them, get in touch with me. My archery club does a benefit shoot ever year and all proceeds net of expenses go to the WW project.

I hunt refuges so can't help on the blind request.

#11 ·
I'm a refuge hunter as well and cannot help on the blind request...although it occurs to me that maybe some of the Disabled blinds at our better refuges could be somehow reserved for this cause? Maybe a disabled hunter out there could sponsor a Wounded Warrior group?

DAMN MITCH...I'm so happy there are folks out there doing what you are doing...I will wager this comes together and I hope someone will post up some photo's of their outing! Good Luck and Thanks.

#14 ·
Thanks Ditch for the encouragment, yes this is going to come off. I wished there was a way to get use the disabled blinds at the refuges for this cause also. Yesterday I had the op to be out with 2 vets at LDC in a disabled blind from a draw that my son drew. It was such a great time, there were many stories shared, some joy shared, some pain shared, some new freindship were made and a couple of ducks were killed, priceless !!!! My son who has been on many hunting and fishing trips commented a couple different times how much he enjoyed that day in the blind, that my friend is what its all about!!!, Mitch.

#18 ·
Need some help tracking down a girlfriend of a member here that got back from Afgan and wanted to go on a hunt, somehow alot of my PM's are gone from here. Also if any of you know a vet that would like to go on a wounded vet hunt please let me know, Thanks, Mitch.

#19 ·
Mitch. So a quick question before a proceeding Reply. Have you got any of the WW into the marsh yet? I'm in a great private club on an active base that is all active duty or DOD contractors. If I walked up to our boss and said SIR I would like to try and get a Hunt for these men and women. I think it would be a quick response. So let me know if you have made any actual headway. My brothers and sisters in this program deserve the best and I think with a little elbow grease I could certainly Love to meet them first hand and give them a hunt to last a lifetime of smiles. PM me buddy and I will provide coordinates to the honey hole, and we can see if it's a possibility. Active Duty U.S.N Chief Petty Officer!

#22 ·
#1wingnut said:
I made this a sticky to keep it at the top. Keep up the great work. :thumbsup: ...
Thanks bro, the members on this board have really stepped up, we have 2 hunts in the works now, 1 for sure on 1-11-11, and it looks like maybe a 3rd one now. These are all for 4 vets to hunt at time, this is a awesome thing to be a part of, many here have also offered to help transport, feed, and guide, Thanks to all of you that have contacted me. We will post pics of the hunts so all can see the smiles.

#25 ·
I was talking with Max (foundation founder) this eve and we have been seeing a need for waders and camo gear to be able to send home with the vets so that they will be able to continue to hunt afterwards. If any one has some extra gear that they are not using we can get it to those who could use it in a great way. I am located in Sac but get around the valley, and we also have a board member in So Cal. Just let me know, thanks for all the help, Mitch.

#26 ·
fishenmitch said:
I was talking with Max (foundation founder) this eve and we have been seeing a need for waders and camo gear to be able to send home with the vets so that they will be able to continue to hunt afterwards. If any one has some extra gear that they are not using we can get it to those who could use it in a great way. I am located in Sac but get around the valley, and we also have a board member in So Cal. Just let me know, thanks for all the help, Mitch.
XL Columbia 'Widgeon' wading jacket with liner in 'Delta Marsh' pattern is yours! It has been used but is washed, clean, and in very good order. I will bring it to the event. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.