South Bay Duck Hunting ?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

South Bay Duck Hunting ?

Postby NorcalFeatherBuster » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:35 pm

I am geting into the waterfowl hunting scene and would like to know if anyone hunts in the south bay?
There are public hunting areas by alviso and redwood city. Has anyone been out there lately?
And any recommendations for gear and such for single hunter.
Thanks everyone and great hunting to you all.
NorcalFeatherBuster
hunter

Re: South Bay Duck Hunting ?

Postby friedcoot » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:46 pm

Assuming you have the basics, you will need at least a stout fishing rod with a floating retriever, or a 12' aluminum boat, or a dog that will get your birds. If you have none of these then you better hunt where the wind will blow them in. Do not try to wade in the water unless you know where your at. Expect pass shooting @ Dunbarton or Alviso walk in. Get your ID card first. If you have a registered boat, you can try shoreline , Eden landing, and Alviso on certain days. There are other options as well but unless your willing to put in the time, no one is going to let you know. Save the surf scoters, coots,buffleheads, goldeneyes,ruddies,and spoonies for the junior
hunters. Its better to walk out empty handed than with easy birds. The more seasoned baymen won't share much with you if they see you shooting at them or walking out with them.
friedcoot
hunter

South Bay Duck Hunting ?

Postby bill in san jose » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:49 am

Be careful with the mud in sloughs and salt pond bottoms. I've seen guys sink up to their thigh on the first step and if they didn't have somebody to help yank them out would have been stuck for good.

X2 on the fishing pole, it's nit easy to snag a moving dead duck in the current.
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow a duck is watching you.
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby dwhauss » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:10 am

You cannot get to any hunting areas by foot in redwood city. Also, some of the open area is dangerously close to houses, marinas, etc. Use serious discression where you shoot. X2 on the tides and mud. You will get schooled quickly if you don;t learn the tide tables, and how they apply to the specific area.
Your best bet is ravenswood, or don edwards ponds. You can shoot the levee at alviso gold street, thats about the easisest and best chance to score some decent birds, but you will need a fishing pole, dog, or boat to retrieve if they hit the pond.
Good luck, and put your time in. It will pay off.
Dennis Haussler
dwhauss
hunter

Postby KenaiHunter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Anyone know the approximate time it takes to get your Don Edwards hunt permit back? I sent mine off 7 days ago (including additional stamped and addressed envelope). In years past, I remember it only taking a short amount of time to get the permit back... Can anyone offer a time table as to when they got theirs back?

Thanks!
KenaiHunter
hunter

Postby jro » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:31 pm

Per Don Edwards staff they are having mail delivery problems. Per Melissa Helton at refuge it is OK to email or fax permit application to her.
jro
hunter

Postby KenaiHunter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks for the reply! So I take it that a fax and/or email may be pretty redundant at this point, considering I already mailed it. I just hope they mail it out soon! I emailed Melisa as well, nothing back from her yet.

If they are accepting faxed and emailed copies of the form, does that mean they will send me back a faxed or emailed permit?
KenaiHunter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Just don't eat that duck all in one sitting. There are so many heavy metals in South Bay ducks they are unfit to consume in any quantity. Also, if you love to cook you will not want to make any pates from their livers... It would be easier on your system to eat Bay mud straight from whatever slough or pond you find yourself in...

I kid you not.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

South Bay Duck Hunting ?

Postby bill in san jose » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:51 pm

I have an issue with eating ducks flying to and from the settling pond at the Sunnyvale sewage plant. They say the tertiary effluent settling pond is sterile, but we know what's settling out.
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow a duck is watching you.
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby plumgold1 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:15 pm

You are what you eat
You Beretta Believe it

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=116606

"We May Be Young......But We'll Pull Your Birds" - Cupped Addiction
plumgold1
hunter

Postby jro » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:58 pm

KenaiHunter wrote:Thanks for the reply! So I take it that a fax and/or email may be pretty redundant at this point, considering I already mailed it. I just hope they mail it out soon! I emailed Melisa as well, nothing back from her yet.

If they are accepting faxed and emailed copies of the form, does that mean they will send me back a faxed or emailed permit?

Pretty sure they will email or fax it back if that is how it was sent.
jro
hunter

Postby NorcalFeatherBuster » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Yea I just got mine back today and I had sent it in on monday morning.
So just hope to hear back soon or just start callin or show up there.
NorcalFeatherBuster
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:50 pm

plumgold1 wrote:You are what you eat

LOL!

South Bay duck hunting humor:

Question:
What did the Alviso duck say to the LDC duck?
Answer: I'm pooped.

Question: What do you call a 7 ducks after a South Bay hunt?
Answer: Crap on a Strap

Question: What is the theme song for all South Bay hunters?
Answer: Wipeout

Bumper sticker: South Bay Ducks = Putting the turd in Turducken.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby KenaiHunter » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:54 am

jro/featherbuster: Thanks for the info!

As for eating duck out of there, I never have. I've hunted/jump shot out there a handful of times. Between those shoots, all the ducks go to my Russian neighbor who'll eat any duck I bring him, Coots included. This time I'm taking some juniors out who want to go jump shoot and never get out hunting. Although it isn't the most desired place, I live in San Ramon, and it's the easiest place to take them... Hell, maybe I'll just head up to Grizzly!

But...

Say what you want about "South Bay Hunting", I'll be having a great time watching the kids blast away!
KenaiHunter
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Norcal,
If you hunt the levee over at Don Edwards make sure to get that fishing pole. A cheap walmart sea rig will do as you might need to cast fairly far. Pick your shots to make sure they are close enough to retrieve if you don't have a dog. You might want to get a bike as well... That will help you (at least until it rains) get out there faster.

Good luck out there. Please be aware that shell checks and bird checks happen frequently at Don Edwards. So watch your shell count and make sure that you ID your bird before you pull the trigger.

Best,
Slow
slowshooter
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:44 pm

Slow tells the truth - shell count checks / bird checks / integrity checks by the authorities are happening there. It seems the authorities are there en force moreso this season than the last 3, far as I'm concerned.

And fact:

Unfortunately, the birds there ARE riddled with heavy metal contamination. And they DO frequent the poop treatment facility.
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby NorcalFeatherBuster » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:22 am

Yea everyone that does go out to Ravenswood there are people out there checking with binoculars. I caught a guy trying to spot me and my friend with our spotting scope. LOL shoulda seen his face that we had noticed him from the farthest levy to his truck on the road. But yea everyone please pick up your shells cause i found alot of trash out there from other hunters. :hammer:
NorcalFeatherBuster
hunter

Postby AliceIS » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure where else to express my disgust at what I observed on January 10th and 11th of this year. I was staying at the Marriott Town Place Suites in Redwood Shores, right next to the San Carlos Airport and next door to the Redwood Shores Day Care Center. I grew up in Redwood Shores, and these birds mean a lot to me and everyone who lives there. I was taking my cat for a walk on the bay trail that runs along the slough (Steinberger Slough) and across from me on the levy was a hunter who dropped a duck right in front of me. He shot towards the shore and the buckshot landed right in front of me, at least three times. Then his dog went out in the water and brutally tore up the duck and brought its body to shore. Well, his unconscious actions caused the day care center to keep the children inside all day long for their own safety. Point being, I hope this person, and anyone else who kills birds in this slough read this and realize that they are very close to people and should not be hunting here. My personal opinion is that hunters are heartless and unwise. Watching a beautiful couple of ducks fly across the sky at sunrise out there, and then seeing one of them blown out of the sky is haunting and sad for me. It breaks my heart, and I'm sure the duck's partner was not too happy either to lose its mate. I know that the police were called and that everything possible is being done to prevent hunting near that area as it is too dangerous, not just to the ducks, but the humans nearby as well.
AliceIS
Newb

Postby KenaiHunter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 pm

AliceIS wrote:Hi,

I'm not sure where else to express my disgust at what I observed on January 10th and 11th of this year. I was staying at the Marriott Town Place Suites in Redwood Shores, right next to the San Carlos Airport and next door to the Redwood Shores Day Care Center. I grew up in Redwood Shores, and these birds mean a lot to me and everyone who lives there. I was taking my cat for a walk on the bay trail that runs along the slough (Steinberger Slough) and across from me on the levy was a hunter who dropped a duck right in front of me. He shot towards the shore and the buckshot landed right in front of me, at least three times. Then his dog went out in the water and brutally tore up the duck and brought its body to shore. Well, his unconscious actions caused the day care center to keep the children inside all day long for their own safety. Point being, I hope this person, and anyone else who kills birds in this slough read this and realize that they are very close to people and should not be hunting here. My personal opinion is that hunters are heartless and unwise. Watching a beautiful couple of ducks fly across the sky at sunrise out there, and then seeing one of them blown out of the sky is haunting and sad for me. It breaks my heart, and I'm sure the duck's partner was not too happy either to lose its mate. I know that the police were called and that everything possible is being done to prevent hunting near that area as it is too dangerous, not just to the ducks, but the humans nearby as well.

"Heartless and unwise"... What's with the name calling right off the bat? On this site it is customary to at least introduce yourself and give a proper intro before going straight to the name calling.
KenaiHunter
hunter

Postby friedcoot » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Yes, an introduction would be nice Alice.

Are you aware of these facts Alice? Going to be hard to catch up with those cats, windows, and wires.

http://www.sibleyguides.com/conservatio ... mortality/
friedcoot
hunter

Postby Mudblood » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:50 pm

friedcoot: Great response and link to the Sibley Guide website.

AliceIS: I respect your right to your opinion, I respect your right to express it, I even respect your right to keep an invasive bird-murderer as a pet. However, the area you described is a sensitive ecosystem with many threatened or endangered species, including the clapper rail and salt marsh harvest mouse. Please consider leaving your cat inside.

NorCalFeatherBuster: I've only hunted there a handful of times, but I always brought a bike...
Mudblood
Newb

Postby berdnird » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:54 pm

Assuming that Alice really does exist and isn't one of the hundred trolls on this site...

I don't think anyone will ever change her mind. You can throw out all kinds of stats and mention the Federal Waterfowl Stamp Program, DU, CWA, and all kinds of funding our group contributes....it wont matter to some people.
berdnird
hunter

Postby duckdoa » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:09 pm

In case you don't know the facts Alice your non native cat family kills more birds, mice, lizards etc. more than all duck hunters combined. A University study in Wisconsin reported that house cats kill over 5 million birds a year just in that State...WTH?!
Cats are evil killers lurking under a soft coat. Heck most of the time they torture their prey before killing them or just let them die a slow agonizing death. Even if yours is a house cat it still wants to kill. Most cats are not and you probably don't give your other cat owner friends HELL for allowing their cats to kill uncontrollably. I should know, I have had about 30 cats in my lifetime so far...
Maybe they shouldn't have built so close to our duck hunting areas, man has been hunting in those shores for over 10 thousand years...
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! Oops that's just ducks and geese...
duckdoa
hunter

Postby Mudblood » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:20 pm

I think you're right berdnird.

Alice, do you really exist?
Mudblood
Newb

Postby NapalmCheese » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:05 am

Perhaps Alice doesn't understand that duck hunting is a long standing tradition in the bay area and that, with the utmost certainty, people were shooting ducks near there before she was alive.
NapalmCheese
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting