Turkey Hunting Advice?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Turkey Hunting Advice?

Postby hunt Chessies » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:06 pm

Anyone got any advice on how to turkey hunt. I have a box call and a crow call to locate them.

We haven't decided which property to go to, One is up HWY 50 of scott road on the south side. The back of the property has large trees and rolling hills. the property is right near parie city.

Other one is off of central galt, east about 4 miles along dry creek. Which one do you think would be a better guess?

From what I have heard, we need to get there way before sunup and use the crow or owl call to try and locate the roost. After that just sent up and hope they come to the call. any other advice?

Thanks
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:09 pm

both are good areas. I've personally seen a lot of turkeys up dry creek.
That's where I'd go. Wherever you can do a little scouting the night before if possible. You can catch 'em heading to their roost around dusk, then just set up near there in the am.

I'll hit my box call to locate 'em as well. I like to mix it up a little. The earlier the better. If you can get out there find the birds a good hour before it gets light you'll better off.

Good luck, and have fun.

Matt.
Mattquack
hunter

Postby speczilla » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:37 pm

I'd also take a decoy with you. Some guys don't use them but I have have never been successful without one. I'm headed out in a few hours to try for one - I'll let you know if I get one. Don't really know the Galt area but I know for a fact that there are a ton of turkeys up there near prarie city - a couple of guides I know hunt that area all season long and do very well.
speczilla
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:49 am

Ryan,
There are NO turkeys in Galt. you better try El Dorado Hill :yes:

Dan
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby hunt Chessies » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:09 pm

Thanks guys for the help! Well it sounds like I might have two places with turkeys!!! I think we are going to try folsom tomorrow then galt next week since Dan says theres no turkey. Better check it out for ourself!

Hey Brad do you know what specific areas they guide? Hopefully they are pushing them onto the property. I talked to a guy who said they had shot 4 on aerojet.

Not expecting too much but its always good to get out!
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby speczilla » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:46 pm

Ryan I don't know exactly where they guide but it is around prarie city. I went out this morning and did a lot of scouting - not many birds on public grounds after the first week - they all seem to be pushed to private land. time for plan B.
speczilla
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:25 pm

Nothing, Nada! Got up way too early this morning, did a bunch of walking before dark, tried locating but no gobbles. This area looks perfect but we didn't see or hear anything. We did see about 15 coyotes but that was it.

Do turkeys use the same areas everyday or do we have a chance of getting some on this property or is it no hope?

As soon as we left we saw turkeys all along parie city about 2 miles away in open fields. Saw a couple more in a quary! A couple of the toms had good size beards.

I can see how you can get hooked on this sport!

Here is a picture of the area that we were hunting. Don't you think turkeys would be on it???

hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby speczilla » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:47 pm

That looks like good habitat for turkeys. I would do some scouting one late afternoon and try to locate a roost tree on that property or near that property and them come back the next morning and setup a hundred or so yards away from that tree. Getting turkeys is tough most of the battle is just getting in an area where there are turkeys. Then the fun begins...
speczilla
hunter

Postby po' refugee » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:25 pm

Ryan,
That's a good looking piece of property! Don't give up on it. This is a strange year for turks....the weather has got them all messed up. That property will produce for you!!

I didn't see any big pines or roost rees in the pics. In the hill country turkeys almost always roost in those digger pines.... I generally use a likely roost as a starting point when I'm learning a new piece of ground (near a creek or draw are always good spots). If there aren't any good trees on your ground look for them on the neighboring pieces and try and call them through the fence.

What we really need are some days in the 70's. If you go out there on a warm afternoon and sit, you'll kill those lonely gobblers after they've left the hens. Good luck and keep us posted!

Gabe
po' refugee
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:56 pm

Gabe thanks for the encouragement! The property is very nice, we shoot a good number of ducks on the property and usually a fair number of honkers but they didn't really show up for us this year. We did manage one banded greenhead though!

The property doesnt have any pine trees on it. All oaks, even the surrounding properties. I guess we will wait for the weather to change and see if its not different up there.

We saw turkeys off of white rock road just two miles down and that property didn't look like it held any birds. With this weather does it keep em quiet?

We did see a ton of mallards throught the streams and ponds!!!

We will keep at it and keep you posted.

Does anyone hunt turkeys around dunningan area in the foothills? This is where we go pig hunting and the property looks prime for em. Have you guys ever heard of turkeys in that area? We have permission to 10,000 acres up there and we have never ran accross any!

I didn't think going out hunting and not seeing a bird would be this much fun! Everytime you hit the call the hope that you hear a gobble is amazing. I can't wait till the first time I get a response!

Thanks again for the tips guys! :salude:
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby speczilla » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:18 am

My dad lives and has land near dunnigan at the base of the foothills and he has seen only a few turkeys on his property. But once you get up into the hills a bit where there are the oaks and pines then they should be there. I have hunted cache creek WA which is not too far from there as the crow flies and have bagged birds there.
speczilla
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting