How old you have to be to hunt alone?

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

How old you have to be to hunt alone?

Postby Jr.waterfowlslayer » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:17 pm

I was wondering if any of you guys know how old you have to be to be able to hunt alone. Im 16 with my drivers license. Can i hunt alone or with a friend or do i still need an adult?
"If it hops it drops, if it flys it dies"
Jr.waterfowlslayer
hunter

Postby thedckstpshere » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:22 pm

I believe on private property, there is no limit. On a refuge, you can hunt alone when you have an adult license, but you cannot be the guardian of anyone until you are 18, so you couldn't take a junior out.
thedckstpshere
hunter

Postby DeaDux » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:29 pm

I thinik that as long you can carry a gun you should be able to hunt alone. At leaste on private property , i f you can drive, you can hunt on any property of mine! :getdown:
Just the good o'l boys... never meanin no harm... beat all you ever saw, been in trouble wit tha law since the day they was born...
One day the mountain might git'm but the law never will!

Kill'm N Grill'm
DeaDux
hunter

Postby thedckstpshere » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:13 pm

You have property for people under 18 Deadux? Could you be my new best friend?
thedckstpshere
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:31 pm

thedckstpshere has it right:

Persons 16 or 17 years of age in possession of a valid resident or nonresident hunting license will be issued entry permits and may hunt by themselves, but may not be accompanied by junior hunters.
DuckFan
hunter

Postby AC » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:47 am

Growing up,
I remember my dad dropping me off with my 30-06 at the age of 14 on a deer trail and said to me, I'll see you at dark. I matured faster than most boys my age mentaly that is, I was the oldest out 3 boys, and my dad introduced us to hunting at a an age of 6, sitting by his side with my BB gun in a dove field. I once shot a dove out of the tree that winged. He was going to mount for me, but dove are a little tough. Hunters safety was taught to me early by my father, and I also took hunters safety. My first year deer hunting when I was 12, I didn't carry a rifle, but If I saw one, the old man said I could shoot it. I never used binoculars so much in my life. :laughing: I think maturity has alot to with being able to wander by yourself carrying a firearm in outdoors, may it be the marsh or the woods.
TAYLOR TALKER CUSTOM CALLS
"WATERFOWLING THE WAY IT USED TO BE"
"FEET DOWN, WING LOCKED, PUT 'M ON THE X, GITR'DONE"
AC
hunter

Postby DeaDux » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:12 pm

The first year i could legally carry a firearm in the woods was when i was 12 (deer hunting and i got a buck also). I had a junior liscense and tag as well. I do remember hearing that you could bird hunt younger than that but i'm not posotive. On a refuge you might have to be older but i'm not sure about anywhere else. Ohh and thedckstpshere i wish i had tons of private property for juniors to hunt cuz they could if i did. the next generation IS THE generation in our hobby fellas and i think i speak for everyone when i say i would let juniors hunt my land any day if i had enough i just gotta win the lottery and then ya'll can come hunt my property!
Just the good o'l boys... never meanin no harm... beat all you ever saw, been in trouble wit tha law since the day they was born...
One day the mountain might git'm but the law never will!

Kill'm N Grill'm
DeaDux
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting