Duck Hunting Forum banner

I want a new pup!!!

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  goosecaller dude 
#1 ·
i live in the chico area and i'm ready to buy a new pup! i want a black lab that i can train! it doesnt have to have to be champion lines or nothin like that just papered and from a huntin family. any help??? :help:

#4 ·
Check out Rocking-m kennels, there in Spanway WA, this is where my new pup is coming from, I'm flying up there to bring him home, I'm also visiting a friend there, but they'll send the dog down to you. They have a litter on the ground, out of Steady as a ROC and Sonny. Should be a geat litter.

#5 ·
De,
If your not worried about having a pedigree as long as your arm.
or want to spend grand or more start checking the newspapers out.
you live in a great waterfowl and upland game counrty. lots of people in your area have great dogs that they breed, but they are not breeders.
The sac bee always has lab pups for sale. in the $200 to $500 range
Just make sure you check out both parents before you decide.
another bit of advice.......... Leave the wife and kids at home atleast until
you decide on a litter. they always want the first pup they see.
Its a proven fact in our household kids and wife always fall in love with the first pup they will see.
just some food for thought

#8 ·
I looked around for a few months and the guy that trained my dog referred me to him. 4 paws kennels (paso robles) This guy only sells to hunting familys. I also had to wait before I got 1st pick. I wanted the birdest one in the bunch. When I went to get pick him out - 7 weeks was the day I saw him and took him home. Out of 8 pups he wanted that pigeon like a woman wants chocholate!

#9 ·
yeah i'll probly find on in the paper #1wingnut i'm sure i can find a decent dog up here somewhere for a resonable price.

#11 ·
just make sure that the sire and dam have their health certs, OFA and Cerf at minimum. the last thing you want is a dog that you will have to leave at home when he is 2yrs old because he has hip displacia or retnal displacia!

#13 ·
try www.sacbee.com or www.craigslist.com always have a bunch of labs and pointers!

BEWARE because i bought a yellow lab last year for $450.00 and the owner showed me the family history certs/akc. his showed they were master hunters and other masters. when i got my akc papers i found out his family was just house dogs. he must have doctored up his akc papers. plus the dog seemed a little retarded and blind. i sold him after 8 months. i could never get ahold of the guy who sold him. :thumbsdown:

#15 ·
the last lab(Duke the Valentine Chip) i had was a dog from the classifides and only like $400 bucks and he's awesome! I trained him myself and he turned out fine. The breeders didnt claim anything too special but the litter did have some good decendants from generations ago and both parents were hunting dogs. The name he inhereted was somethin Chocolate Chip, some dog that won something a while back i think. i dont member too much my parents got the papers somewhere, and the dog too, BASTARDS. its funny how he was my responsibility when i was home but as soon as i moved to college my dad had no intentions on givin him up.

EXTREMA-
that sucks about your luck man. We were carefull about that when we chose Duke cuz we know how people like to stiff ya. eventhough the dogs werent too expensive the breeders were really cool and kept in touch and actually wanted us to stud him out because people were so happy with the litter. my pops was always a firm believer that you dont have to spend a **** load of money to get a good dog and it worked for us. Dont you remember where that schmuck lives? I'll meet ya there and we'll give that guy and ol'fashion one!

#16 ·
HAHA yeah i remember where he lives.... i thought something was strange when i walked into a cloud of marijuana smoke in his kitchen. he looked like the type who would shoot you. he had a binder full of papers all looked legit. i just figured he needed more money for his weed. he gave me a bag of food and told me what kind to use. seemed like he knew what he was talking about. then again so do con artists!

i bought a yellow lab, my cousin bought a black lab (mix) and chocolate lab (pure) and we have just the chocolate left. the mixed pup dug under his fence and excaped a few times so he was sold. my pup ran into things alot (blindly) and knocked me over all the time...sold. 1 out of 3 aint bad :oops:
:toofunny:

#17 ·
IMHO it is better to pay more up front for the puppy and get a quality dog. It cost the same to feed a kennel dog as it does a field trial dog. Remember you always pay for what you get. You might wanna look at the retrievertraining.com website. you can find great dogs at a deal if the breeder cannot get rid of them before 8-10weeks. There is a great litter up there now from I think a field champion for 500.00. Now that is a steal.

#20 ·
hey I have English labs the blocky more coated dogs , I'm not cheap we sell for $800 to $1000 per pup depends on how smart the litter turns out by 6 wks old and the dont go until 8 wks, that way I know that they will be taken care of, we watch our breeding, they are paper trained and I start playing with wings as soon as the respond to them. not a puppy mill limited breedings, will be breeding my girl as soon as heat comes on. end of April/may, last litter had blacks and yellows, if interested pm me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.