Santa Fe Road in Los Banos

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Santa Fe Road in Los Banos

Postby Los Banos » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:08 pm

Hey I hunt a club off santa fe road in banos,looking to build my decoy spread, what do you all recomend as far as species and #'s, coots needed? what kinda calls are best for the area?
Matt
Los Banos
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:27 pm

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

I am not familiar at all with the area. In the rice we use about 200 decoys. Mallards, sprig, and wigeon. Never used any coots.

In the timber club I hunt we throw out a few dozen dekes, mallards, sprig, wigeon, few teal. As far as a general room of thumb, you cannot go wrong mallards, sprig, and wigeon.

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:44 pm

Banos, what club are you at off the "grade". East Gustine? Most of those guys throw out a lot of teal, because that is mostly what you are going to see. Also , i'd throw out some widg, and pintail. Off course some mallards. If it were me.. I'd probably sneak a few, maybe more off them mudhens. And some of those colorful shoverlers. I personally wouldn't throw more than 5 doz puddlers out. There is not the large groups of birds there, as there are in the rice. But you will still get your birds.

stalns and widgeonator probably have some good advice also. stalns was in a club out there for a lot of years, and widg still has a club there.

welcome,

josh
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:02 am

:salude:
If I was buying all new deeks, I would get say (2 doz. teal, 2 doz. gadwalls, 2 doz. widg, 2 doz. pintail, 2 doz. mallards, 2 doz. spoondogs.) And most importantly a doz. floating snow goose). You could throw out some mud hens, they don't hurt. The white snow deeks can be seen for miles, unlike the smaller, darker duck deeks.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

snows

Postby Los Banos » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:42 pm

a buddy of mine told me that snows harrass the ducks on the water and to put them way away from the duck decoys, do think 4 mojo mallards are to many? ps i should a man filled pasture with a little blind out in the middle on a island probably 10 by 10 with no real good cover, where can i find some good grassland cover and how should i mount it?
matt
Los Banos
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:39 pm

You don't put the snows in your duck deeks, you put them off to the side in their own cluster. The ducks aren't scared of the snow deeks, its the honker deeks thats a no no. You can put those out too but they have to be in their own area not right next to your blind. As far as mojo's, I would use them right when they become leagal, and when its foggy, maybe a real windy day. Eventually the birds shy away from them, unless it's foggy. I don't use em, even though I should. Tumble weeds are great cover, you shouldn't have a huge problem finding some in Los Banos. Also Hay is great, put it all over the island it helps to keep the island from becoming a muddy mess and its great camo. Most people use some sort of wire fencing or chicken wire to mount it. some stakes and some zip ties. Camo paint the inside and top edge of the blind.

Here is a picture of a camo contraption one of my renters concocted, I call it the OLN, because I feel like I am on OLN when I am hunting there.
I need to put more cover around my blind, but here it is.
I had a leaky blind replaced and I had the guy on the tractor grab some bushes and plant them around the blind.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby Russell » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:58 am

Hey Wigeonator...

Very wise of you to re establish that greasewood around those barrel blinds....great natural cover.

I love hunting out of that stuff....problem is, it's becoming a thing of the past on some of the public areas I hunt. I basically have one location left where I'm able to use it. I've never had the problems of big ducks shying away from that stuff late in the season. :hammering:
Russell
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:25 pm

I am not sure what kind of bushes those are, but I looked up Greasewood and those are not greasewood plants. Any help from the local botany experts! :help:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Coots

Postby Los Banos » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:41 pm

Got an email from ghg new coot decs should be here in summer time,how many decs should i buy for a good banos marsh shoot?20?50?200?
Los Banos
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:45 pm

Banos, GHG has some really nice coot dekes comming out. But they are awefully damn proud of them something like $65 or more for a doz.? The Idea of coots it to not have them look like something that goes on the mantle, but rather buy about 10 or more doz. and make a raft.

GHG asked for hunter imput, and we gave it to them the weren't even considering a coot until they had about 100 people list that as either #1 or #2 new duck deke that they wanted to see. They listened well to everyones imput, except for one thing. PRICE.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:55 am

AS MANY AS YOU CAN AFFORD AND ARE WILLING TO PICK UP AT THE END OF SEASON. :salude:

I don't think coot deeks are anything thats going to turn an average spot into a honey hole, but everything helps. Really if its a good location and you don't have people next to you sky scraping :pissed: you don't need 10,000 deeks.

I put my deeks about 3-6 feet apart out to about 35 yards and leave a nice V opening right in front and in back of the blind. In my oppinion if you put deeks farther out you are just asking the ducks to land too far out of shooting range, plus you are making twice the amount of work to pick them up at the end of season! Later in the season alot of times birds will become decoy shy, which means they fly around the deeks instead of over the deeks.

My new renter put out about twice as many decoys as I usually did this last year. It didn't hurt, but he didn't seem to do any better either. It did take him 5 hours to pick his deeks up and there are still about 2 doz. sitting out in the pond.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:10 pm

i put out 2 dozen coots last year. the real coots hung out close by so i don't think you need more then a dozen or two.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:36 pm

:withstupid:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby Russell » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:28 am

Wig....a little hard to "read" the "tone" of your reply there over the internet but I'll assume friendly....

Don't know the correct, botanical name of that type of brush....we (my group that I hunt with) have always reffered to it as "greasewood" (why, I don't know)...rattlesnake brush, or just "sage" brush.
Either way, who cares....point was that it's excellent cover and hard to find on public ground compared to times past.

Enjoy your day.
Russell
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:21 pm

Wasn't trying to be "offensive", and I appreciate the "compliment". It's just I have never heard of a bush called "Grease Wood". :salude:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting