Richmond Hunt Club

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Richmond Hunt Club

Postby DeaDux » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:12 pm

Anybody know anything about RHC. I did some research on them and want to know if anyof you fellas were part of them or know somebody that is or was. They look like they got a lot of land leased
Just the good o'l boys... never meanin no harm... beat all you ever saw, been in trouble wit tha law since the day they was born...
One day the mountain might git'm but the law never will!

Kill'm N Grill'm
DeaDux
hunter

Postby speczilla » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:13 pm

Do a search on this forum. It has been discussed before.
speczilla
hunter

Postby Duckbud » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:27 pm

My dad & I belonged to RHC back in the early seventies & then from 92 to 95. It was a good & affordable club back then, especially when they had 65,000 acres as compared to the 30,000 they have now. I don't hear too many good things about the club anymore.
Duckbud
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:11 pm

i hunted richmond from the 80's to the late 90's. we used to get birds!! it was cheap and there WAS lots of land until wilderness unlimited took over. they still have land but the more members the more land they can lease type of deal. my cousins gramps is the guardian for rhc. i'm actually joining this year with my two cousins and a buddy. if you want a water blind you will be put on a list. i don't know if i can bump you up that list. it's still cheap to join but you need to pay a initiation fee for the first year. there is a "high end" of pass blinds where on a good day you can get a limit of geese and ducks. i haven't hunted there in years but i'm going to try it out this year. not sure if you still can but: deer, dove, quail, pheasants (planted and wild) ,ducks, geese, pigs, rattlesnakes, squirrel and fish. i even saw a badger once.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby thedckstpshere » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:40 pm

Don't bother. Try finding a different club. I belonged there for a couple of years and have a friend that has belonged there for at least 15 years. My buddy has worked his way up the seniority, and has a good blind at best. I didn't shoot a bird when I belonged, and I put in time.
thedckstpshere
hunter

Postby DeaDux » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:26 pm

EXTREMA and thedckstpshere thats a couple of contradicting stories. Well they got a list for water blinds whats the odds of getting one? Could you do anything for me? Its pretty cheap and the pass shooting blinds sound fun! Maybe we'll see each other out this season huh EXTREMA? Whats the deal with the water blinds? DO they just assign you to a field if your drawn and then you build blinds where ever you want that can be used by all the guys that got drawn for that field too? Could you gimme a rundown?

theduckstpshere: i see what your saying and thanx for the input! If its not worth the money why does your buddy stick around so long? You never shot well at all? Is it all rice? or do they have timber too?
Just the good o'l boys... never meanin no harm... beat all you ever saw, been in trouble wit tha law since the day they was born...
One day the mountain might git'm but the law never will!

Kill'm N Grill'm
DeaDux
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:48 pm

DeaDux wrote:EXTREMA and thedckstpshere thats a couple of contradicting stories. Well they got a list for water blinds whats the odds of getting one? Could you do anything for me? Its pretty cheap and the pass shooting blinds sound fun! Maybe we'll see each other out this season huh EXTREMA? Whats the deal with the water blinds? DO they just assign you to a field if your drawn and then you build blinds where ever you want that can be used by all the guys that got drawn for that field too? Could you gimme a rundown?

theduckstpshere: i see what your saying and thanx for the input! If its not worth the money why does your buddy stick around so long? You never shot well at all? Is it all rice? or do they have timber too?

you join for fee plus intiation fee (first year only)

you get a sticker with a number and rhc on it. put it in your windshield and one in your wallet.

you go to meetings and recieve newsletters. they have a trailer space drawing.

if you get lucky you can join a water blind with someone already in one. if not ask if there are openings. i think they have 3 different areas/fields with numerous two man blinds. should be section 36, butler pond and delavan area. you have the right to just your blind for the whole season. the blinds are already sunk in and ready for your decoys. theyre usually in a corner of a square shaped field with one other blind at opposite end.

they used to have a building wher you get breakfast, buy shells and have a drawing for pass blinds.

pass blinds (not sure how many are left used to be 1-61) you have a drawing by putting your membership number on a paper and they draw out of a can. if you don't get drawn your on your own. if you do get a bling you get a copper tag with a number that you choose (first come first serve). so if blind 58 is shooting well and nobody has taken it you can get it. there is a long stretch of road with blinds numbered down it. you go to your blind and wait for birds to cross the refuge boundry. right against colusa refuge line. during pheasant/dove season you may leave your blind and hunt the rice field behind you.

they plant pheasants in many areas. princeton, arbuckle, colusa, williams areas.

had a special deer, pig, dove/quail foothill property. look at the map.

there are also some other fields where you may hunt if not drawn.

bbq's and work parties.

this is how it was a long time ago. it might have changed. i hear it sucks now but i used to have a good time. get an updated map. plus if you like pheasants you will get plenty of those. it's not bad for the price. wilderness unlimited bought all of rhc old properties and clubhouse.you can try them too.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby thedckstpshere » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:57 am

There are still the the pass blinds...right along the Colusa closed zone. I could see them being good in a HEAVY fog, but other than that, you may be able to drop something with a golden bb. There is a line of trees along the refuge boundary, and the ducks and geese have to climb over the line in order to leave. When coming in, they come in from 300 yards and then circle into the closed zone. Don't get me wrong, its a nice club on paper, but it is just nothing close to what it was 20 years ago. My buddy sticks around b/c he has moved up in seniority in getting vacant blinds, and so he has a decent shooter. Its pretty cheap, but I think that your money would be better spent on a lease somewhere else. JMHO. :umm:
thedckstpshere
hunter

rhc

Postby hntndux » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:42 pm

run............hard..........and fast.
hntndux
hunter

Postby Duckbud » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:49 pm

DeaDux,

I once had a water blind at RHC out in section 36 from 92-95. Shot the living heck out of the ducks out there for the first couple of years. How did I get in - my dad's long time co-worker at Mobile Oil and manager of the Arbuckle club house happened to have a blind out there and his blind partner was too old to hunt anymore. Well, I was the replacement. Got out cause they were managing the property very poorly the last year. As for getting a blind out there now - don't waste your time.

If you join, you'll be a full blown ricer; nothing but rice. Lots of room to roam for pheasants & geese. The pass blinds for geese aren't too bad either when you've got the weather. Well, good luck to you. :thumbsup:
Duckbud
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:04 pm

lately i hear they lost lots of land and even the water ponds get no shots.
my buddys dad and my friend (guardian of rhc) hunt two different water blinds. one is butler and the other is by delevan. the delevan one shot bad this year. then again you wake up get on your atv and drive 2 minutes to your blind. it's right behind the trailer spot. the butler ponds shoot lots of teal (cin, bluewing, greenwing). they flooded last year and you couldn't get out to your blind.
i know the pass blinds resulted in a few goose limits and some ducks. wind and fog in the high end and rain helps some times. pheasants and dove limits too. my buddy said if more people join they will gain more land next season.

i paid with two buddies $4000.00 and we shot 10 birds each at max.
for $450.00 a year you can do probably the same. i'm trying the cheaper route this year (rhc) if my pricey blind falls through.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby Duckbud » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:34 pm

Extrema,

Don't give up on you know who. Keep checkin back with him. :thumbsup:
Duckbud
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:18 pm

Duckbud wrote:Extrema,

Don't give up on you know who. Keep checkin back with him. :thumbsup:

i won't , i called and faxed but no response yet. i wil keep trying though. :thumbsup:
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting