HAVING A BLAST!

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

HAVING A BLAST!

Postby PinTeal » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:13 am

Finally got an electric collar for my lab and started using it with her. I made her wear it for about a week as to not be collar-wise and she's doing great. I did not walk her with a leash today for the first time and she's doing great. Stays right by my side, sits when I stop, keeps up with me when I walk fast, and creeps with me when I walk slowly. She's really doing good.

Force fetch is coming up...but we're trying to get obedience down before we move to that crucial stage. She's getting in the bad habbit of dropping the dummy at my feet right now :( and real birds she does not want to bring back yet. 30' check cord will be here Monday so hopefully we'll be able to solve that problem....or are there any tips?

I am in the process of building a large pigeon trap so I can get some birds for her to play with and eventually shoot for her...exciting stuff at 1115 on a Friday night ;)

This is the first dog I have ever trained myself, and personally, I think she is making me think it's easy. I hope her hips turn out to be good so I can breed her. Anyhoo...just wanted to say some good words about my hound.

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:29 am

things sound like they are going great Jeff. :thumbsup: Glad to hear it. I'm glad the collar is working out for you. Give me a shout if you have ANY problems with it.

30' check cord will definately help you out, if she doesn't want to bring bumper/bird back to you.

Try this, when you go out training, throw the bumpers away from your truck, placing you in the middle of the truck and the bumper. When you see that summer has got the bumper, turn and walk towards your truck. She will probably come running, thinking that you are going to leave. When she runs by your leg, step on lead and turn back the other way. This will make her stop and come to you, at HEEL. Then praise her like crazy and do it again.

I would get her really solid on comming back in to me with thrown bumpers before I would start FF. FF is tough enough without having to try and reinforce other things while training.

thats all i got for now, got to go train.

josh
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby hunt Chessies » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:56 pm

Sounds like your pup is coming along well Jeff! How old is the pup now?

I think you should really get the OB issues down now before FF. Are you following any training books?

If the pup is over 4 months old, I would collar condition to the command "Here" or "Come" whatever you use. This will solve your problem with the dog not coming right to you. Before I did this, I always had the dog on a checkcord that way I could make sure 100% that the dog would come right back to me. Also if you are reeling her in, she has less opportunity to drop the bumpers.

How is her sit? I think sit is the most important command before FF. you need to make sure she can sit with distractions around, tugging on her lease trying to get her to stand up, etc. The dog should not move when it is told to sit.

Oh and the pigeon trap, I have one you can use. Its really nice but I just never tried it. You can use it if you give me a few pigeons every once in a while! I never found a good spot to use it.
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:07 pm

Sounds like your pup is coming along well Jeff! How old is the pup now?

She's 7 months already!

I think you should really get the OB issues down now before FF. Are you following any training books?

With what I am doing now, I am following The Ten Minute Retriever

If the pup is over 4 months old, I would collar condition to the command "Here" or "Come" whatever you use. This will solve your problem with the dog not coming right to you. Before I did this, I always had the dog on a checkcord that way I could make sure 100% that the dog would come right back to me. Also if you are reeling her in, she has less opportunity to drop the bumpers.

No problems when I tell her to come to me once she settles down. But she does drop the bumper when she gets to my side.

How is her sit? I think sit is the most important command before FF. you need to make sure she can sit with distractions around, tugging on her lease trying to get her to stand up, etc. The dog should not move when it is told to sit.

We work this every time we work. "Sit." "Stay." And I walk off leaving her there for a few minutes and 20 yards or so before I tell her to heel. Not gonna say she's 100% perfect or ready to move on....but I am pleased with where she is at for the time being. When she is 100%, we'll move on.

Oh and the pigeon trap, I have one you can use. Its really nice but I just never tried it. You can use it if you give me a few pigeons every once in a while! I never found a good spot to use it.

Sounds good. I am just about done with mine though....but if anything else goes wrong with it I will take you up on your offer.....I am kind of winging it here with minimal tools since they are all at my dad's house.

Thanks for the offer Ryan, we'll have to get together some time.

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby hunt Chessies » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:13 am

Wow 7 months! Time flies!

10 minute retriever is a good book.

Dropping the bumper when she gets to your side is not to bad. Its good that she is bringing it back! Hold should fix this problem. Is there anyway you can take the bumper from her before she drops it?

We work this every time we work. "Sit." "Stay." And I walk off leaving her there for a few minutes and 20 yards or so before I tell her to heel. Not gonna say she's 100% perfect or ready to move on....but I am pleased with where she is at for the time being. When she is 100%, we'll move on.

Sounds like she is doing really good! Sounds like you could move on to hold. You can teach hold while you still work on other things. Once you get hold going you can work with heel while holding, sitting, etc. Its up to you though.

You have a lot of time before next season, with a little work each day you will have a great retriever next season!

Do you have a place to trap the pigeons?
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:14 pm

Wow 7 months! Time flies!

10 minute retriever is a good book.

No kidding time flies! Actually, she's almost 8 months.

Dropping the bumper when she gets to your side is not to bad. Its good that she is bringing it back! Hold should fix this problem. Is there anyway you can take the bumper from her before she drops it?

Yea, I try to get it before she drops it, but sometimes she just drops it before she even sits :(

Sounds like she is doing really good! Sounds like you could move on to hold. You can teach hold while you still work on other things. Once you get hold going you can work with heel while holding, sitting, etc. Its up to you though.

Yea, I am really stoked how well she's doing. It's about time to move on with something new...hold will probably be it. :)

You have a lot of time before next season, with a little work each day you will have a great retriever next season!

Do you have a place to trap the pigeons?

Thanks for being optimistic about the hound! I got permission to trap pigeons from my work...so that's where I'll do it at. How big is your trap?

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby hunt Chessies » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:52 pm

Jeff my trap is about 20" x 36" with two doors
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:52 am

did you make it yourself or buy one? Mine is 24"x24"x48" with two doors, Really large, kind of got carried away with it.

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby hunt Chessies » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:14 am

Its the one from gundogsuppy.com for 40 bucks. Its very nice just never had a place to use it.

The website says it holds 10-12 pigeons.
hunt Chessies
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting