Sea Duck hunting on San Francisco Bay

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

Sea Duck hunting on San Francisco Bay

Postby DuckChaser » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:02 am

Has anyone out there tried hunting Sea Ducks out there on San Francisco Bay? If so, was it any good? What kind of ducks did you shoot? Where should you go?

I had heard of people doing this off the coast of Burlingame and would like to learn more.
DuckChaser
Newb

SF Bay hunting

Postby GGC » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:40 am

I have hunted in the SF bay my entire life. The shooting in pretty good if you get in the right spot. These days I hunt in the N. Grasslands mostly, it is a LOT easier : )

The types of ducks vary, you will get a few "regular ducks" every year (mallard, sprig, teal... that sort of thing), but mostly you will get "bay ducks" (ruddys, blueys, bufflehead and a few canvasbacks).

My friends and I shoot a lot of limits, so the shooting can be great although the ducks can be a little fishy tasting.

As far as where to go... There used to be really two options, one was to lease a salt pond from Cargill, build a blind and hunt there. The other is to hunt on the outside of a pond or in one of the many, many sloughs. Cargill has transferred all of the salt ponds to the federal government now so the rules are a little different but you can still hunt in most of them. You will need to look at the DFG page to get info on how to reserve a spot.

In all cases you will need a boat and most likely a dog. I have always used a 17 foot boat with a 35hp or 40hp motor. The bay can get big, bring enough boat.

Send me a note and I will send you my phone number. I can tell you where the good hunting is, where to put a boat in, even a couple of places you can walk to.

Scott
GGC
hunter

Postby DuckChaser » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:18 am

Thanks for the quick reply, Scott. I'd love to talk to you in greater detail. What's the best way to reach you? You can reach me by email at philipcarpenter@hotmail.com, or by phone at 650-787-5444.

Thanks in advance,

Phil
DuckChaser
Newb

Postby thedckstpshere » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:50 pm

There are NO DUCKS in the Bay. :umm:
thedckstpshere
hunter

Postby DuckChaser » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:37 pm

Nahhh -- I know that's not right, as I shot a decent number this season.

I was particularly interested in seeing whether folks had shot sea ducks (e.g. scoters) on the Bay itself, as opposed to shooting ducks in the sloughs. I know that you can still find decent-sized groups of such ducks on the Puget Sound. Has anyone had experience in hunting these ducks on SF Bay?
DuckChaser
Newb

Postby thedckstpshere » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:28 am

Try San Pablo bay for Scoters...I KNOW that they are there.:thumbsup: To be truthful, I didn't see many seaducks on the south bay this year.
thedckstpshere
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting