CWA 2005-06 End of Season Survey

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Postby DuckFan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:15 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Per other sites - from CWA:
If you hunted waterfowl at all during the 2005-06 season, please fill out a CWA End of Season Survey and let your voice be heard. Input and comments received will be directly forwarded to refuge managers and CWA representatives.

CWA End of Season Survey:
http://www.calwaterfowl.org/year_survey0506.htm
DuckFan
hunter

Postby tstrong » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:07 pm

Done deal.
tstrong
hunter

Postby stalns » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:54 pm

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I don't have the time to visit the other forums and I appreciate you passing along the information. :thumbsup:
Shoot Straight!!!

Gary Stalions
stalns
hunter

Postby dukaddict » Tue May 02, 2006 9:42 pm

Yeah........more Pintails :thumbsup:
dukaddict
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Thu May 04, 2006 4:39 pm

filled it out! more pintail and less free roam. too many fights in the free roam areas. also said my season stunk do to sprig being the only bird i could have had a (7 bird) limit of. :thumbsdown:
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby Russell » Fri May 05, 2006 10:51 am

Extrema...

You must be hunting somewhere up in the Sacramento Valley "Zoo" I assume (?)

Just keep in mind that: (A) We currently have a pretty broad mix of free roam, a few assigned pond areas, and blinds evenly mixed throughout the state.....and (B), closing free roam areas almost always moves the problem elsewhere, and "punishes" alot of folks who weren't a problem in the first place.

Stay out of the well known problem areas (which have often been there for YEARS).....and quality free roam hunts, with patience, can be had. :cool:
Russell
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Fri May 05, 2006 3:57 pm

Russell wrote:Extrema...

You must be hunting somewhere up in the Sacramento Valley "Zoo" I assume (?)

Just keep in mind that: (A) We currently have a pretty broad mix of free roam, a few assigned pond areas, and blinds evenly mixed throughout the state.....and (B), closing free roam areas almost always moves the problem elsewhere, and "punishes" alot of folks who weren't a problem in the first place.

Stay out of the well known problem areas (which have often been there for YEARS).....and quality free roam hunts, with patience, can be had. :cool:

i couldn't agree with you more but they need better organization and be aware of what goes on in the free roam.

when i did hunt refuges i had nothin but trouble in the free roam areas. Delevan was great with an assigned blind ,same as Sac refuge. Grey lodge was the worst and colusa second. at Grey lodge i walked as far as you can go on the "west side" and set up my decoys. around 15 minutes after shoot time 10 or more guys talking loud walked within 10-20 to yards from me with no decoys and started shooting over my head! they all said "there was no where else to hunt and they walked too far to turn back". a few guys were yelling at each other and threatening one another. also on the east side i had a guy walk out to me and my decoys and tell me to leave cuz this is his spot. i'm a big guy at 6" 225lbs so i scared him off.

i was talking with a buddy and my neighbor also about this subject. they both had a similar story to mine at colusa. they said they were in a spot decoys spread and ready to hunt. then a few guys tried to come by and claim the spot and wanted to rough them up. other times they said they were drawn within 1-5 reservation and ran to the field to see flashlights already at the far end. it was guys sneaking out and being dropped off why the buddies waited at the check station. so they claimed the spot illegaly. my buddy said he was jumped by a pissed of guy and beat up for shooting at some birds cupped in his own decoys. the guy (with no decoys) was mad that he didn't let them circle one more time so he could shoot first.

free roam is a good thing but they need to be strict on the rules and start booting people who violate them. we're there to have fun and maybe shoot a bird or two. some guy's think they own the place and are bird hogs. i've got fired up a few times myself and i don't go out there to kick some butt but i will if it comes down to it.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby Russell » Fri May 05, 2006 4:34 pm

EXTREMA wrote:

free roam is a good thing but they need to be strict on the rules and start booting people who violate them. we're there to have fun and maybe shoot a bird or two. some guy's think they own the place and are bird hogs. i've got fired up a few times myself and i don't go out there to kick some butt but i will if it comes down to it.

Absolutely.....but, for me at least, I'd avoid the butt kicking events simply because (even though you may be in the "right") it just adds to the bad reputation/ notariety...etc. F.R. is what it is....and along with that, I have found that being adaptable and mobile usually works 9 times out of 10.

The locations you mentioned with the exception of the east Lodge, are most definately well known, popular spots that willdraw the masses on any shoot day....ain't too many sleeper holes at Del or the west Lodge.
Russell
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Mon May 08, 2006 2:09 pm

:salude: i hear ya. the only thing that would make me kick butt would be if a saw someone jump my buddy for no reason. some of these guys are drawn every week (must know someone on the inside) and they think the spots have names on them. i get drawn once a years if i'm lucky but i over heard a group saying they get drawn in low numbers every week. thats sounds fishy to me. these are the same guys that shoved me out of the way at the window when my res was lower. the game warden just looked the other way and took them first. i said "what kind of b.s. was that". she said "oh, they come here all the time ..they're good guys". i "said my res is lower and you called me first so they shoved me a jumped ahead of me". she said "i didn't see anything". i shook it off and had a good day anyway.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby DeaDux » Tue May 09, 2006 11:52 am

i know what your sayin EXTRMA theres a few parties like that i know of. He'll show up 30 seconds before last call on the drawing, get some retrdedly large number and draw top 3 or 4 every shoot day. Nothins ever really said but you can hear the moans an grumbles every morn. i dont think the guy drew lower than 7 all year, and they say say "oh he's here everyday" well you know what, SO AM I. I sucks!
Just the good o'l boys... never meanin no harm... beat all you ever saw, been in trouble wit tha law since the day they was born...
One day the mountain might git'm but the law never will!

Kill'm N Grill'm
DeaDux
hunter

Postby DuckFan » Sat May 13, 2006 1:00 pm

EXTREMA wrote::salude: i hear ya. the only thing that would make me kick butt would be if a saw someone jump my buddy for no reason. some of these guys are drawn every week (must know someone on the inside) and they think the spots have names on them. i get drawn once a years if i'm lucky but i over heard a group saying they get drawn in low numbers every week. thats sounds fishy to me. these are the same guys that shoved me out of the way at the window when my res was lower. the game warden just looked the other way and took them first. i said "what kind of b.s. was that". she said "oh, they come here all the time ..they're good guys". i "said my res is lower and you called me first so they shoved me a jumped ahead of me". she said "i didn't see anything". i shook it off and had a good day anyway.

If you don't mind me asking: what refuge was that?
DuckFan
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Sat May 13, 2006 6:11 pm

colusa was where they were jumped and the guy threatened to shoot them! my buddy never told anyone. he just told me about 5 years after the fact.

grey lodge was the one where i was shoved and the guy was a "regular"

delevan is where i hear guy's saying they get low res every week.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting