Duck Hunting Forum banner

CWA's 1st annual So Cal Kids Camp "what a fun day it wa

890 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  PinTeal 
#1 ·
I just want to say that I encourage every parent that has a future or little duck hunter out there to send their child to this camp next year. My self, AKA "bullet" Mike Guthrie, his son Tyler, and my father, had the privelege to give back to our future in this sport. On Saturday we showed up at Mystic Lake Duck Club to help take part in the Duck Calling and Decoying Ducks.
There were 7 kids, they all got duck calls, a pintail whistle, and a nice lanyard. I kept it real simple for them teaching them two notes, a singel quack, and a single cut feed chatter, and then we went through the various sounds of what their whistles could do for them. They started to get the hang of it. Mike and my dad said some words of encouragement to the kids about the sport that we all love to do, and broke it down to simple terms that they would like to hear, " This is the one day you can go out, build a fort & hide in it, get muddy, shoot moving things, go home filthy dirty, and not get in trouble for it."

After the duck calling class, we had some decoys that we put out in a little spread, to show the kids what it looks like, why they are put out the way they are, and keeping it in simple terms that they would understand. The best part about this part of the day was that the pond was a brood pond, must of saw over 500 pairs of ducks ranging from mallards, some gadwall, cinnamon teal, and some sprig. Mike and I would call and work the ducks, landed a few, and the kids got to see how ducks react to a call and work in the decoys, that alone was educational. My dad pointed out for the kids to see how ducks always are looking down moving their head on a pivot. Mike and I worked this pair pintail, and I saw the biggest bull sprig of my life, was deffinatley a "Boone & Crocket" bull sprig.

When were leaving, the last task of the day was decoy painting, my favorite, but we couldn't stick around for it, I would probally still be there.
Like I mentioned in the begging, this is a well worth money spent camp for your children.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.