Hey, I took Chinook & Jake out shed hunting Sunday and Jake had some kind of attack, I have a friend who had a chocolate lab who had seizures but it was nothing like that. He could not breathe, his tounge turned blue I thought he was having a heart attack or got bit by a rattler. I had to carry him out of the drainage it took about two hours. To his credit he was a real trooper, we would rest in the shade until he caught his breath and his tounge turned red again but he could only go about 50 yards before it would hit him again and I`d have to carry him.
At one point I had to leave him and go up to the truck for more water, that was hard, when I got back down he`d made it about another 50 yards on his own, what a dog.
I finally got him to the truck and took him down to the big creek and set him in thinking he might be overheated, after about 10 minutes he was breathing normal and his tounge was bright red again. He kicked back in the wet sand for about an hour and returned to normal.
He`s fine now
I know he`s old but his hips are sound and he`s never really had any real health problems, we had plenty of water and it was only in the 80`s. I purposely picked a drainage that had a gradual slope. I think he overexerted himself when he got into a covey of quail. Because it was just after that it started.
Just wondering if any of you guys ever had an experience like this, one of the pig hunters I know said it was probably heat stroke which made sense, the symptoms point to that now that I look back, shortness of breath,vomiting,disorientation, listfullness
Just been through a lot of stuff with my dogs but never seen this before