Heat stroke????????

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000, PinTeal

Heat stroke????????

Postby dukaddict » Tue May 02, 2006 10:09 pm

Hey, I took Chinook & Jake out shed hunting Sunday and Jake had some kind of attack, I have a friend who had a chocolate lab who had seizures but it was nothing like that. He could not breathe, his tounge turned blue I thought he was having a heart attack or got bit by a rattler. I had to carry him out of the drainage it took about two hours. To his credit he was a real trooper, we would rest in the shade until he caught his breath and his tounge turned red again but he could only go about 50 yards before it would hit him again and I`d have to carry him.
At one point I had to leave him and go up to the truck for more water, that was hard, when I got back down he`d made it about another 50 yards on his own, what a dog.
I finally got him to the truck and took him down to the big creek and set him in thinking he might be overheated, after about 10 minutes he was breathing normal and his tounge was bright red again. He kicked back in the wet sand for about an hour and returned to normal.
He`s fine now

I know he`s old but his hips are sound and he`s never really had any real health problems, we had plenty of water and it was only in the 80`s. I purposely picked a drainage that had a gradual slope. I think he overexerted himself when he got into a covey of quail. Because it was just after that it started.

Just wondering if any of you guys ever had an experience like this, one of the pig hunters I know said it was probably heat stroke which made sense, the symptoms point to that now that I look back, shortness of breath,vomiting,disorientation, listfullness
Just been through a lot of stuff with my dogs but never seen this before
dukaddict
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue May 02, 2006 10:20 pm

sounds like you had a tough one, sorry to hear that. I have never had a heat stroke experiance, and hope i never do. I remember when i was younger, a friends dog was running after him on his bike. They got up to a windmill that had a water tank for cattle at it. the dog jumped into it and died instantly. He apparantly was suffering from heat stroke, and the shock of the cold water killed him. :eek:

Another thing to look into is EIC, Excercise Induced Collapse. It doesn't sound like what you experianced, but worth looking into.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby califireduck » Wed May 03, 2006 3:15 pm

i dont know about heat stroke...i know heat stroke in dogs will turn their tongue bright red and not blue...blue tongue makes me lean more towards some type of oxygen deficiency....im no vet so i cant say for sure what it is and im not sure a vet could tell you what it is without seeing it hapen and being able to evaluate during the episode...60 degrees and raining last week 80s and 90s this week....not alot of time to aclimate ourselves or our dogs to the changes...time to put the beers and sodas away and pick up the bottled water and sports drinks again...if you see heavy panting in a dog dont be scared to give him a little gatorade or some sort of electrolyte...keep a thermometer with you when you think your dog is getting to hot take his temp...heat stroke can happen at 104 degrees in a dog...if you observe a dog showing symptoms rest him in a cool area and take his temp...keep in mind that the temp will continue to rise even though hes resting...panting uses alot of muscles and creates body heat...dogs have a pretty crappy temp regulation system...you gotta watch em all the time...
califireduck
hunter

Postby dukaddict » Wed May 03, 2006 5:06 pm

Yeah resting didn`t really help him much. It was like his lungs just shut down yet he`s breathing normally now and they sound ok. My pig hunting buddy had to put his dog down he was never the same so I guess we got very lucky.
I`m kind of leaning towards the aclimation/exercise/overexertion thing.But I`m thinking a trip to the vet anyways just to be sure he doesn`t have some kind of respiratory infection or something.

Funny, it couldn`t have been the wolf he weighs maybe 60 lbs soaking wet.Well I guess I wanted to get some excercise -I got it - :toofunny:
dukaddict
hunter

Postby califireduck » Wed May 03, 2006 6:05 pm

yes a check up wouldnt hurt one bit.... :thumbsup:
califireduck
hunter

Postby speczilla » Wed May 03, 2006 7:50 pm

go see a vet. I doubt it was heat stroke. when my dad was in vet school he said they would take puppies and put them into microwaves to experamental purposes and get their temps up to 110 and the dogs were fine - a little sluggish - but fine. unless your dog hadn't had water in days and you were running him like crazy i'd say that there was something else at play. My lab that passed last year had similar occurences in his later years and it was diagnozed as seizures. There was nothing we could do for him about it but once he had them he kind of freaked out because he couldn't walk and he would try to. You did the right thing to just let him rest. bottom line: take him to a vet.
speczilla
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Thu May 04, 2006 4:33 pm

yes please see a vet a.s.a.p.! my old yellow lab was around 9 years when he developed fatty tissue around his heart. i forgot the disease name but it was deadly. he was always short of breath and would cough alot. as it got worse he would just sleep and eat. the final day he looked at my mom and turned blue with his eyes wide open just asking for help. he couldn't breath so we went to the vet. she said he could live for a while on a machine but it's too late. so we put him down. he was my first hunting dog so it was sad to see the look of help on his face and nothing you can do. all those good pheasant hunting memories i have now.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Heatstroke

Postby gryfox5512 » Sat May 06, 2006 8:03 pm

Make sure your dogs don't get into the blue-green algae. Recent studies have shown a canine toxicity to a toxin in the algae. The clinical descriptions I've read sound just like what happened to your dog.The "blue tongue" indicates either a lack of oxygen or a problem with oxygen transport, since your dog was breathing fast it sounds like a toxin problem. Look up cyanide poisoning and you will understand what I am suspecting( not cyanide but an algae toxin) I'm not a vet ,Im an ER MD.Check with your vet asap. gryfox5512
GRYFOX Save our 2nd amendment. Benefactor-Life member NRA, member CWA, DU, Delta waterfowl
gryfox5512
hunter

Postby DeaDux » Tue May 09, 2006 11:28 am

i'm with everyone else dukadict. Takem to a vet that way you have some better perspective on the situation! I'm sure he's fine and i'm glad he turned out ok but it might not be the same next time. It may be something preventable.
Just the good o'l boys... never meanin no harm... beat all you ever saw, been in trouble wit tha law since the day they was born...
One day the mountain might git'm but the law never will!

Kill'm N Grill'm
DeaDux
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting