Grasslands Shoot!!

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter

Grasslands Shoot!!

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon May 08, 2006 4:56 pm

I would like to invite any and all of you to this years "grasslands shoot" My good friend Mike puts this on every year. The event is May 21st, on a Sunday. This is a Refuge forum thing, but i still would like to invite you guys. I am helping out with it, trying to raise a little money for some raffle prizes. This is a CWA event, so any money left over goes to the ducks.

The event is usually held at Stevenson Ranch, East of Newman on Hills Ferry RD. But The ranch is under water this year due to the river being WAY FULL.

This years event is going to be in Stockton, at the shooting range. There is going to be Skeet, Trap, Flurry Shoot and 5 stand from ground blinds. Also they have a ZZ bird range, ZZ's are like shooting pidgeons. I shot these last month to check them out for the event a lot of fun.

This event is not about making money, it is about getting the duck hunters together for a good time. Most CWA events want you to dig DEEP into your pockets and give give give. That is great, but there are a lot of events and they really add up. This is about bringing your family and having a good time.

There is going to be an all you can eat buffet for $5.00.

The biggest and best thing about this years event is that we are putting together a Gear Exibit. We are asking guys to bring some of their new gear that they would like to share. We are going to have it set up for other guys to demo. For instance, we are hopping to have several different ground blinds there, that way you can lay in them and check them out.

Other things we are getting: Decoys ( i believe avery is going to send a rep over), guns, calls, waders, and anything we can think of.

This is going to be a lot of fun and i hope to see you all there.

I will give directions to it later.

josh
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby randy marci » Tue May 09, 2006 3:31 pm

probably the first thing about cali. that i'm actually gonna feel like i'm missin out on. anyone even thinking about going i reccomend you just do it. last year was a blast and this year should top it.
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby worknem » Tue May 09, 2006 8:50 pm

Mike is really on to something with the gear show. Some of the guys that go to this one are pure duck and can come up with some real interesting gear. Sounds like a great way to see and get some hands on with stuff you normally would only find in obscure catalogs.

Wish I wasn't working that weekend. I 2nd Randi that last year's was A1.

Dang Randi. you get around these days. :salude: Saw you were over on the calling forum. Brets the real deal. Met him in OR last year.

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed May 10, 2006 9:51 am

dang Rel, sorry you can't make it. I guess I'm going to have to start hanging around at Callin comps if i want to rub elbows with you. :mrgreen: , just watching of course.

Randy, after that merganser comment a few weeks ago, you shouldn't show your face on the west coast anymore. :laughing:

Hey, we could be like rappin duck hunters, get that whole west coast vs New Mexico thing going. :toofunny:

sorry you both can't make it, I am really looking forward to it.

josh
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby randy marci » Wed May 10, 2006 10:21 am

ACEBLDRS wrote:dang Rel, sorry you can't make it. I guess I'm going to have to start hanging around at Callin comps if i want to rub elbows with you. :mrgreen: , just watching of course.

Randy, after that merganser comment a few weeks ago, you shouldn't show your face on the west coast anymore. :laughing:

Hey, we could be like rappin duck hunters, get that whole west coast vs New Mexico thing going. :toofunny:

josh

and to think i laid off your shoveler shootin comment at the other place :umm:
randy marci
State Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed May 10, 2006 3:35 pm

Ouch, Ok, UNCLE, i give.

Hey, it all goes in the sausage pile. :mrgreen:

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby worknem » Wed May 10, 2006 8:12 pm

ACEBLDRS wrote:dang Rel, sorry you can't make it. I guess I'm going to have to start hanging around at Callin comps if i want to rub elbows with you. :mrgreen: , just watching of course.

josh

Perpetual work schedule. 4 weeks ago from when the Stockton gig is you folks had the DHC deal. The only time in 4 weeks I work weekend nights. Complicated but if, say an event is the same Saturday of the same month each year and I'm working during the first time of that one I'll be working during it every year. Due to this I never voice an opinion on dates for anything since I'm in a minority. I sure do like the 7 days off in a row every month though. :smile:

Mike's pics look like it's a killer location. Have a blast. :mrgreen:

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Fri May 12, 2006 10:38 pm

Anyone...Bueller?...................

I thought i would drum up a little intrest. :mrgreen:

don't be shy, this is going to be an outstanding event, easy on the pocket book and full of great ideas from, like Rel said "Some of the guys that go to this one are pure duck".

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Re: Grasslands Shoot!!

Postby worknem » Sun May 14, 2006 12:50 pm

ACEBLDRS wrote:The biggest and best thing about this years event is that we are putting together a Gear Exibit. We are asking guys to bring some of their new gear that they would like to share. We are going to have it set up for other guys to demo. For instance, we are hopping to have several different ground blinds there, that way you can lay in them and check them out.

Other things we are getting: Decoys ( i believe avery is going to send a rep over), guns, calls, waders, and anything we can think of.

This is going to be a lot of fun and i hope to see you all there.

I will give directions to it later.

josh

If Curt Wilson or any of the other Avery reps do show they'll probably have one of the "06" GHG FB FF Specks that will be released late this summer. I got a chance to see one in Reno yesterday (Wow!) and pre-ordered last night. Wish I could go to the Event to see what else might be new and unknown about.

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun May 14, 2006 3:54 pm

Rel, we don't really know what they are going to bring. I am hoping we will get a look at their new layout blind. Congratulations on the speck deke's, that's always fun getting new toys. :mrgreen:

How do they compare to the Dave Smiths? I'm sure price wise they are a lot easier on the pocket book, just wondering about looks and paint.

josh

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby worknem » Mon May 15, 2006 10:59 am

ACEBLDRS wrote:Rel, we don't really know what they are going to bring. I am hoping we will get a look at their new layout blind. Congratulations on the speck deke's, that's always fun getting new toys. :mrgreen:

How do they compare to the Dave Smiths? I'm sure price wise they are a lot easier on the pocket book, just wondering about looks and paint.

josh

I don't think there's too much that could hold up to DSD's. They (DSD's) look as good in the field as they do out. Ben (FishDog) was using a pretty big spread of them last season and they showed up well from a long distance regardless individual of size. I've got a couple on the mantle. Just can't bring myself to use them in the field. LOL!

True, the GHG are a lot less expensive and we'll see on how they hold up. They are a bit larger than most competitors. We've been using GHG honkers with flocked heads for the last few seasons and the flocking has held up well under tough conditions. Everyone I've asked that used the FF GHG Honkers last season were satisfied with the flocking, soo time will tell. I compared the HardCores next to the one feeder FF speck the guys had, in addition to the unflocked GHG and to my non goose eye it looked really good.

I tend to think about and do a lot of research before buying something new or replacing in kind what I already use. Part of the fun of doing it IMO. LOL! The Event at Stockton would be a great opportunity to see new stuff and compare. Still wishin we could make it.

Rel Atwood
worknem
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu May 18, 2006 10:03 pm

Well, i was hoping that this would gain a little more intrest on here. Oh well.

The event is this Sunday at Stockton If anyone is interested give me a shout, on here or by phone.

408 821 7959.

This is going to be a very fun, cheep event to come out to. We were able to get the shooting rates reduced to member prices. $5 trap and skeet. I think 5 stand is going to be like $8. ZZ birds will be $2 each, they are usually $5.

some raffle prizes, a youth gun to be auctioned off.

$5 all you can eat buffet for lunch.

josh

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Return to California Duck Hunting