Volunteers Needed: Egg Salvage Saturday May 20 Zamora 8am

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

Volunteers Needed: Egg Salvage Saturday May 20 Zamora 8am

Postby speczilla » Mon May 15, 2006 7:47 pm

Guys a farmer I know has a rye field that is loaded with nesting ducks that he plans on harvesting next Monday. I walked the field on Saturday with two others and we salvaged about 3-4 dozen eggs. We are going to get back into the field this Saturday to get the eggs before harvest. We need as many people as possible to come. I think that we can salvage well over 100 eggs from these two fields which are about 500-600 acres.

Below is the information:

Who can come: Anybody - including kids big enough to walk through a thick 3-5' tall rye field. At this point I am going to say no dogs until we figure out how many are coming.

When: Saturday morning at 8am

How long will it take: It depends on how many show up. If we get 10-20 it should take no longer than an hour or two at the very most.

What to bring: Yourself, your friends/hunting partners, your children, etc. You will need to wear a pair of long pants unless you like itchy legs. Also bring a hat, sunscreen, etc if you need protection from the sun. We need some people to bring rope of at least 15' in legth and aluminum coke cans with rocks in them if you can (not neccesary but helpful). If possible egg cartons as well.

Directions: Take I-5 to Zamora exit (Road 13) and head east on Road 13 to Road 99 and turn left (north) onto Road 99 (frontage road). Turn right (east) onto road 12 and then left (north) on road 94. The field is at the end of road 94 where it meets road 10 and is on the east side of the road. Look for my dark grey Toyota Tundra double cab.

What you receive: The satisfaction of giving something back to the resource, saving birds that would otherwise not make it, and enhancing our local bird population. And breakfast - I will likely be bringing doughnuts, bagels, coffee, and water for breakfast for everyone prior to the salvage.

Please PM me or post up if you can go or are thinking about going so that I can get a decent count. I am coming from Sacramento and can put a few people in my truck if someone wants to carpool.

Thanks in advance to those who can help out! :thumbsup:
speczilla
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Mon May 15, 2006 10:07 pm

I cannot commit 100% either way, but there is a chance I can go...if you can fit me in the truck. My dad and brother might be coming up this weekend from Southern California to load up some of my crap to take back down there for me (for my move back at the end of the month). If they end up not coming, and my "back up" plans fall through (original plans before I found out about dad and brother), and we will be back in sac before 4 there is a possibility I can make it. I have eight egg cartons that take a dozen and a half eggs and one single dozen carton I have been saving for an egg salvage you can have whether or not I make it. Thanks for giving back to the sport we all love dearly. I hope numerous people here take you up on this opportunity since we all shoot the birds that will benefit from this egg salvage.

For all of the if's and maybe's I just said, you may just tell me to get lost ;)

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby speczilla » Tue May 16, 2006 8:07 pm

Jeff,

I appreciate the offer. It shouldn't take more than 2 hours so you would definitelty be back by 4pm. Post up or PM me by Friday and let me know if you can make it. Thus far I only have one guy commited.
speczilla
hunter

egg hunt

Postby BrokenWing » Wed May 17, 2006 6:56 pm

Hey what you guy's are doing is great we have to help out nature when all possible, I myself cannot make it due to work but wish you guy's luck.
Who is going to take care of the eggs for hatching? :salude: :thumbsup:
BrokenWing
hunter

Postby speczilla » Wed May 17, 2006 11:08 pm

All of the eggs will be taken to Rancho Esquan's incubator. They have a 95% success rate on all salvaged eggs and then band them and release them back into the wild. :salude:
speczilla
hunter

Postby speczilla » Fri May 19, 2006 9:18 pm

Unfortunately due to the weather and the lack of birds using the remaining field that hasn't yet been harvested, the egg salvage for tomorrow has been cancelled.

I have notified all of those people who previously indicated to me that they would be coming. Thanks for the offer to help. :thumbsup:

As a side note, the main field that was harvested on Thursday before we could get in there did indeed hold many ducks. Claude found a few dead hens in the field and no salvagable eggs today. :thumbsdown:

I'll keep everyone posted on any further egg salvages that Claude and Rancho Esquan plan on doing.

Thanks again to all of those who were planning to help.
speczilla
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting