my dog ate a fish hook

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, duckman2000, PinTeal

my dog ate a fish hook

Postby DeaDux » Wed May 17, 2006 2:08 pm

I was striper fishing the other day and needless to say i caught a 8 pound fish but after i landed it, i was tying it up and my dog swallowed what was left of the bait. I think he got it all the way down cuz its not botherin him but i was just wonderin if you fellas have any advice. He's not chokin or nothin, its like there isnt even a hook in him. I called the vet and a bunch told me that he should be brought in immediately for x-rays and crap and they tried to act like it was really serious but they told me i would have to make an appointment cuz they were booked for a couple weeks. Then i talked to another and he said theres no use in an x-ray and he said we shouldnt try to fix somethin thats not broken cuz it aint botherin him. He said just keep and eye on him, feed him a lot of bulky crap and check his crap to see if he passed it. I'm sure this has happened to many dogs what do you fellas think i should do.
Just the good o'l boys... never meanin no harm... beat all you ever saw, been in trouble wit tha law since the day they was born...
One day the mountain might git'm but the law never will!

Kill'm N Grill'm
DeaDux
hunter

Postby speczilla » Wed May 17, 2006 4:53 pm

The hook can cause internal bleeding and kill the dog fairly quickly. If it were mine I'd take him in.
speczilla
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Wed May 17, 2006 4:58 pm

I'm with Brad on this one, too risky to even chance it IMO.
hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby Duckbud » Thu May 18, 2006 1:10 pm

This happened to a lab of mine about 7 years ago. First of all, take him in & they'll do an x-ray to see where the hooks at. Next thing is feed your dog some really greasy food; even add some cod liver oil to his meal. Next step is to follow him around for the next day or two to check his poopy for a hook. I did this same thing for my dog and lucky enough he passed it. You gotta keep checking with the vet cause they may need to determine if the hook is lodged or not and if it is, poor poochy is looking at surgury. The hook my dog swallowed happened to be a size 14 fly, so he passed it pretty easy. Good luck! :thumbsup:
Duckbud
hunter

Postby puddlehunter » Fri May 19, 2006 12:13 pm

Thanks Puddlehunter
puddlehunter
hunter

fish hook

Postby gryfox5512 » Sat May 20, 2006 2:28 pm

The first rule of human gastroenterology( bowel disease) is "all things will pass" I've seen pins, open saftey pins, fishooks pass without problem. We tell the childrens parents to just observe for belly pain ,fever ,loss of appetite ,etc Increase the bulk in his diet add more fat and just watch. If the parents are really "antsy" we take an X-ray if it's in the gut follow above. Good luck if you are anxious ,see the the vet, but I bet he says the same :thumbsup: gryfox5512
GRYFOX Save our 2nd amendment. Benefactor-Life member NRA, member CWA, DU, Delta waterfowl
gryfox5512
hunter

Postby puddlehunter » Sun May 21, 2006 9:47 pm

if you think a striper size hook swallowed is no big deal and any vet whos see an fish hook in an the gut and say it will pass is an ass and should be throw out of the field of medicine!
puddlehunter
puddlehunter
hunter

Postby dukaddict » Mon May 22, 2006 8:57 am

Hope you`re dog`s doing ok
That`s scary
dukaddict
hunter

Postby duckman2000 » Mon May 22, 2006 11:14 am

so DeaDux hows the dog?I bet you have been having fun running around the yard with the plastic bag lol.hope all is well
duckman2000
State Moderator

Postby DeaDux » Sat May 27, 2006 12:48 pm

Everythings good. He okay by now. Still eats sleeps and shits... everything he did before he ate it. I'm pretty sure he passed it although i wasnt able to investigate every poo. His behavior hasnt changed a bit so i aint worried. but so far all is well
Just the good o'l boys... never meanin no harm... beat all you ever saw, been in trouble wit tha law since the day they was born...
One day the mountain might git'm but the law never will!

Kill'm N Grill'm
DeaDux
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting