fishin'

Duck hunting in California topics include: California duck hunting trips, the past hunting seasons, and share information about California duck hunting guides.

Moderators: #1wingnut, PinTeal, finsnfeathershunter, duckman2000

fishin'

Postby EXTREMA » Thu May 18, 2006 2:53 am

anyone doing any good? i've been wanting to try isleton for some striper.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby Chosen Vessel » Thu May 18, 2006 10:17 am

Lots of schoolies up on the Mokelumne side showing in the Guisti area. Picked up 4 yesterday early am on rip baits. Early and late is the ticket, look for shad skittering about and key in on those areas. They only run about 4-8 lbs right now but its going to get better and chances of hooking up with lots of 'em on one trip with some in double figures or better is the future. We don't keep anything over 10 lbs anywho cuz they are the future. Schoolies are generally freshrun and better tasting, not having been in the delta for long. 8-12 lb test, 7ft med/hv rod and hold on... their a blast if you catch it right and its fast and furious. Last spring at this time My 2 sons and I boated 20+ in less than 2hrs...awesome sport. Good luck..........C.V.
"Cast n Blast"
Chosen Vessel
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Thu May 18, 2006 2:56 pm

last year i caught a ton of shakers. i fished the mothball a few times and we caught a few sturgeon , all under size and one 6 lb striper. i haven't hooked into a nice striper yet just all the males with their "milk" squirting out. :eek:
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

fish

Postby BrokenWing » Wed May 24, 2006 11:49 pm

The Sac River is pretty slow I caught a Cat Fish and a Shad, I do like Shark and Sturgen
BrokenWing
hunter

Postby DeaDux » Sat May 27, 2006 12:58 pm

Caught a ten pound striper on the sac last week and a few shad here and there but nothin much since. But i been fishin the feather for salmon lately and theres fish everywhere. Sturgeon, striper, shad, salmon there catchin'em all at the outlet. I dont got a boat but if any of you fellas do and can make it up to the outlet of the feather, DO IT. I see guys on boats, in and out with a 20-30 pounder in less than a half hour every day out here. Somebody do it for me and post it please, cuz i aint gotta boat.
Just the good o'l boys... never meanin no harm... beat all you ever saw, been in trouble wit tha law since the day they was born...
One day the mountain might git'm but the law never will!

Kill'm N Grill'm
DeaDux
hunter

Postby hunt Chessies » Sun May 28, 2006 6:35 pm

My dad caught a couple nice bass yesterday.

hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Mon May 29, 2006 12:25 am

Nice Ryan, your pops is the Striper Stud! Tomorrow is my last day of work since I feel a flu coming on Tuesday and Wednesday ;)

What are you up to the rest of this week? I Want to get out bass fishin' if you're up for it let me know...gimme a call or I'll call you.

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby hunt Chessies » Mon May 29, 2006 1:15 pm

Yeah Jeff my dad does catch a lot of stripers in the summertime! I don't know if I will be able to get out till friday. I joined the corporate world a couple months ago so I have to work during the day and I can't get out till friday. You still going to be in town?

I never heard how you guys did on the Sac?

My dad and brother in-law went out this morning for a couple hours and got their limit. Nothing too big but good eaters.

hunt Chessies
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Mon May 29, 2006 4:09 pm

Striper fishing has to be a blast! :eek:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby PinTeal » Mon May 29, 2006 5:00 pm

Ryan,
I'll be here Friday still. If you want to get out, or if you can, I'd love to. Not too much on the Sac that day, a few bites, but Jon couldn't land anything ;)

Better than I did at least, I couldn't even get a bite :(

Anyhoo, Friday it is pending your schedule. I am gonna try and get out every day between now and then.

Jeff given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby hunt Chessies » Wed May 31, 2006 1:18 am

Jeff I am going to try my hardest to be able to get out friday. I'll see what the boss says tomorrow(Wednesday). I hope your out getting em! I know there out there!

Has anyone ever fly fished for stripers? I really want to give it a shot this summer but I have no clue what to use other than the flys. I know where to fish for them just not sure about rod/line/reel/leader? I want the fly to be around 5-8 deep.
hunt Chessies
hunter

Return to California Duck Hunting